Librarium Online Forums banner

Tyranids, Patrols, and City Fights, Oh My

452 views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  andrewthotep 
#1 ·
It looks like I'll be involved in a 500 point City Fight tournament using Combat Patrol rules this week. I was wondering if anyone had any advice. Being a zilla player, it's really tough for me to figure out how I'm going to be successful in this format. No models with > 2 wounds really puts a damper on my strategy.

Have any of you run something like this before? Any tips?

My initial thought was to bring 3 squads of 6 Stealers w/flesh hooks, about 14 Gaunts to tie stuff up, and 3 Shooty Warriors (2 TL-Devourers and a VC). Another option was a more shooty list using 2 squads of Warriors and taking out some Stealers and Gaunts. Either way, I'm struggling to figure out how I can fight the usual crowd of Space Marines, Chaos, 2 squads of 30 Ork Boyz, and so on.

#2 ·
in combat patrol I take 1 group of shooty warriors with a vennom canon and the rest of the points are genestealers with carapace.
At this points level I would suggest 2 groups of 3 warriors so that you can get 2 vennom canon in the fight as you can garantee that you will be seeing at least one tank. In addition I would take the rest as stealers with carapace - not really enough points for gaunts I think - and not enough space for fast synapse for hormagaunts. And seeing as you are in cities - take fleshhooks for the added bonus of scaling the walls!

Raveners would also make a nice addition to back up the stealers

#3 ·
In 500 pt games I run with the following list:

3x Warriors w/ ES (Dev, Dev, VC)
1x Zoanthrope (WB, SC)
19x Gaunts (fleshborers)
11x Genestealers w/EC

I've done very well against the 3 SM opponents I've played. Not sure how this would fair in a cityfight game, though. I like having the Zoan' in there as durable synapse and a little bit of tankbustery (even though with only 1 it can be tough to hit things). It's very hard to kill a Zoan in a 500 pt game. Every time I've played, my Genestealers have done just about all the work, where everything else supports them (gaunts to tie up shooty units, warriors to distract)

#5 ·
Betrayer, I had some success in a combat patrol comp with a simple list composed of 6 fully uppgraded deathspitter +rending claw warriors and enough termagants (24-25) to make up the 400 (I came in the top 4 out of 12, I recall.)

With CP rules the food is also limited in the amount of powerful anti-nid weaponry it can bring to bear which makes warriors surprisingly durable. With so many wounds under synapse, the nid force is also very hard to break, and judicious use of cover will negate firepower advantages. And warriors with a few upgrades and rending claws are about as good as it gets in cc at this point level. I had problems with Tau and their stealthsuits. Apart from that, everything else I faced was just protein.

I suspect twin-linked devourer toting warriors would also work well, but you might need to think about having something else to deal with close combats.

#6 ·
Yep, Combat Patrol, so no Zoans as GaryC83 said. If only that weren't the case my Flyrant would make an appearance :)

What are your thoughts on something like this?

--Warriors x3 (ES, ST, Talons, 2 Deathspitters, 1 VC)
--Warriors x3 (ES, ST, TL Devourers, 1 VC)
--6 Genestealers (Flesh Hooks)
--6 Genestealers (Flesh Hooks)
--12 Gaunts

Basically the Gaunts become a speedbump unit that I can use to slow down an enemy unit for a couple turns while I deal with a different unit of his. The Warriors have VCs for armor if needed, lots of shots from the TL Devourers, and a little more versatility from the Deathspitter/ST combo. The Stealers can run together or apart for redundancy. Other than that, they're Stealers, so they kill stuff.

That gives me 36 wounds. Doesn't match the Ork player's 60+ wounds, but I think if I try to build an army to face him then I'll lose to everyone else.

#8 ·
There was a genestealer-only force in the same comp I was in. It didn't do as well as my bugs did as it had no reply to shooting, and no ability to deal with skimmers (Dark Eldar raiders are murderous in CP).

I like Betrayer's proposed list for its flexibility, and would certainly like to see it road-tested. Hmm... Jeremy Clarkson the Genestealer Magus...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.