New to 40k and Tau - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New to 40k and Tau

Hello everyone.
    I am new to 40k. I have bought the Battle for Macragge and am wanting to go with the Tau army. I do not have a ton of money, so I would like to know if buying the Tau starter set for $170, I think, is a good idea? If not, what would be a good starting army? Also, is it a good idea to buy some from ebay?
    Thank you in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Victorus aut Mortis Shad0w_Reaper's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    74 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by SOG Nothes View Post
    Hello everyone.
    I am new to 40k. I have bought the Battle for Macragge and am wanting to go with the Tau army. I do not have a ton of money, so I would like to know if buying the Tau starter set for $170, I think, is a good idea? If not, what would be a good starting army? Also, is it a good idea to buy some from ebay?
    Thank you in advance.
    First of all, welcome to the greater good fellow Shas'O 8Y

Buying a battleforce, megaforce, starting set, whichever one you choose depending on how much you want to spend, is always a good place to start. It gives you the core of an army, from which you can expand on. I think you are thinking of the Megaforce? Judging by the price, though im not sure, but if so, that certainly is a good place to begin. You get HQ, Elites, troops, fast attack and of course, heavy support, you will be well on your way to slaying enemies in the name of the greater good!

As for ebay, I try not to buy things off ebay, ive had a few bad experiences with it in the past, although ive never purchased any 40k off there as yet.

Hope this helps, peace out :happy:
    Space Wolves (Under Construction) | Circle of Orboros (Under Construction)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you get the megaforce, it's a great place to start like Shadow said, but it's just a start. Most people play 1500 point games as standard, and a Tau megaforce only has about 700 points worth of models in it. Also, that doesn't mean two megaforces makes an army.

I'm not sure if I'd recommend starting with the Tau. They're great fun to paint and play, but they're less forgiving than other armies like Space Marines, in that if you screw up early in a game, that's it, you've lost. The Tau can bring a massive amount of firepower down in a hurry, but they get crushed in close combat (assault phase). They're much less resilient than Marines for sure.

The Tau have to have every unit in the cadre working on concert to work at their best. For example, if you are playing Tau and you want to win, you must use markerlights. You just can't win without them. Markerlights are only available to Fire Warriors carrying a certain weapon, and they're a little weird to work out at first.

Professional(lol) opinion: If you've got either unlimited patience and a really good attitude or someone in your gaming club who plays Tau and is willing to show you the basics (well, we at the forum can do that) then go ahead.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome to the Greater Good!

Dont be intimidated by what Ausare had to say. Its not quite as bad as he says. And I personally find myself winning without markerlights often. Regardless. The starter Megaforce you are looking at is a decent start and gets you a discount off of the regular price for those items but something just irks me about what they give you. GW tend to base their sets off of what they can sell better rather than what will do better in a game.

I would say get the $90 box set as it is a much better starting place and work from there. Get another squad of FW and maybe a HH or a Broadside team and some more Crisis. The bigger box doesnt come with any kroot, which are highly important and also the fact that you couldnt deploy 2 full FW squads bothers me. Also, the pirahnas arent as useful as some of the other units in the army list. Regardless of your decision enjoy the Tau. They are fun to play, were my first army too, and you'll enjoy being able to reach 72" across the table at your opponent when they forget how long your range is.

Mal
    Hibernia (Eire/ or the Republic of Ireland if I must)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

If you are only new to the hobby and money is an issue, maybe a battle force would be a good starting point. Enough men for you to build/paint and play. If I remember correctly its 500pts. (If you arm the Battlesuits to the gills) The advantages with the bigger boxes are the more you spend the more you save. BTW: First thing you buy, and I hope this goes with out saying, is the Codex. You can write an army list and plan your purchases from it. Plus you can't play a game with out one!

Tau are not the easiest to play, its true. But like Ausare says if you have a friend or advisor it shouldn't be too hard to learn. Although markerlights aren't essential, why wouldn't you take them. -1 to cover saves, or leadership. +1 to hit. Guiding Missiles etc. They are the bomb.

I know Tau firewarriors get a bum rap, but remember they are the core of your army and can do things like shoot, mark and hold objectives (and due the fickle gods of dice, its even possible for them to kill Khorne Lords).

Personally I wouldn't buy pre-painted stuff from ebay, some one selling off boxes or sprues, fine once they have a good feed back.
    Last edited by Mal; February 13th, 2008 at 09:26. Reason: Grammar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    201 (x4)

Here is what I did :

First, I waited for chrismas price a my local gaming store. I bought myself a Tau Megaforce at 200$ CAD (Approx 160$ USD at the time). With the box, I built up 3 squads of 6 Fire Warriors, with Shas'ui and Marker light (18 models in all). With the 2 remaining models and the 2 tank commanders, I built up 4 pathfinders. The pathfinders went with the Devilfish.

Then, I made one of the suit my commander and the other became a stand alone suit. The three stealth suits were used as is, with a fusion blaster (i didn't used the marker drone).

I built two piranna each equipped with a fusion blaster and 2 seeker missiles. They are awesome !! They allways go for the big kills like land raiders, battelwaggons, etc. I sold the last piranna to a friend.

I made a squad of drones (fast attack), and they are pretty usefull.

The hammerhead is equipped with a rail gun.

In the end, this box made me 1000 points worth of models !

Then I bougth 2 extra boxes of Fire Warriors and fulled my basic troops (4 units in all) and my pathfinder team (8 models, no railriffle, only marker light).

I also bought 2 extra crisis suits because they are good.

I was up to 1500 points. ;Y

The nex purchase is a set of 2 XV88 broadside suits and maybe some more Firewarriors and a devilfish.

Up to now, my scores are good !

Good luck !
    MindRaked
    CHAOS Undiv.: won 14/22 games EC: 4/7 WE: 6/9 DG: 10/15, TS: 3/7 Orks : 13/20 SM NL : 1/6 TAU: 14 of 24 IG: 3/7

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MindRaked has a good cadre, but I'd be careful about running squads short (at minimum or near minimum size). Even if you're rolling like a pro, you need firepower in volume.

Also, about XV-8 Crisis suits. They're pretty much everyone's favorite Tau unit alongside the Hammerhead. Suits are unusual in that they're infantry that you have to customize completely before you can field them. You pick what guns, what systems, and what doodads they hit the field with. Everything you add to a crisis suit costs points. Everybody wants to start out adding 100 points worth of gear to each suit - don't do this. The suit costs __ points to start. If you start to spend about 50 points over the base cost, you need to look at removing some stuff.

This whole forum has got some really awesome articles detailing what works in what situations. Check out the "Index of Tau Articles and Tactica" and there's a couple articles at the top of the Tau page by riki, one about markerlights and the other about HQs. Those are nice to have starting out.

Remember the saying, "Keep your friends close and your enemies closer?" That in no way applies to Tau. Keep them at range and you'll do fine. Good luck.

+ Reply to Thread