Tau Assistance for new player - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tau Assistance for new player

Good evening all,

I have been my growing tau army for about a month now. I know part of this email probably belongs in the army list, but I also wanted to bounch tactics off you all..

I currenty have 3 crisis suits, 1 xv88, 2 firewarrior squads, 1 stealth squad, 1 pirhanna, 1 hammerhead (w/rail gun) and a number of gun and shield drones. I am really just now learing the points system, so I have not optimized my forces yet.

I usually face eldar, space marines, and nidz. I would appreciate any advice you have to the following comments.

What I want to do:

is 3-4 pathfinder teams (half with markerlight carbines, and half with railgun target pos.) , 3-4 devilfish, 2 firewarrior sqauds, 1 hammerhead with a rail gun, 1 hammerhead with ion cannon, 1 3 man braodside team, either a commander crissis suit with the works or commander shadosun, 11 kroot carnivore, 1 kroot shaper, 3krootox, 4-6 kroot hounds.

What do you think, bad ass or a joke? Be honest

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let's see...
    Only take 1 Squad of Pathfinders. More than one because expensive, less effective, and can even hinder your army. You can only take 3 max, so I don't how you'd take four. Max out the one squad you take, but never give any of them Rail Rifles.

Take two squads of Firewarriros, and give them Devilfish to preform the Fish of Fury tactic. The two from the FWs and one from the PFs (remember, you are required to take a DF with your PFs), will give you a solid 3 DFs.

Personally, I take two Hammerheads (both with Railguns, I find the Ion Cannon to be a waste), and a full team of XV88s. But if you really want to take an Ion Cannon, then go ahead.

I suggest making your Crisis Commanders Shas'Els with a PR/MP/TA (called 'Fireknife') or PR/FB/TA (called 'Helios). Both are good at taking out Marines, but the Helios if better, and can take out Terminators/Monsterous Creatures as well, but requires a lot of skill to use. I suggest using the Fireknife to start off, then move onto the Helios.

With your Kroot, never take a Shaper or an Ox. The Shaper isn't worth so many points, and the Ox can hinder the squad.

Overall, not too bad.
    Welcome to Tau Online - A Website for Warhammer 40K Fans
    and
    Advanced Tau Tactica ::
    are both very good places for a new Tau commander to look.

Hope this all helped.

5+ \ 0 \ 0 - 3'000+ Pts - Dal'yth Sept

0 \ 0 \ 0 - Work In Progress - Hive Fleet Hammerhead

0 \ 0 \ 0 - WIP

Victory \ Draw \ Defeat

Credit to Legionnaire for the bars.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've always liked my Railfinders for shooting Marines. I've got two of them and I get a reliable one kill off the pair of them every shooting phase.

Carrot's right though, you can't take that many Devilfish. At 80 points apiece I believe that makes them the most expensive transport there is. It's great, but it's too cost prohibitive.

About every tactica around will tell you NOT to over-equip your Crisis suits, and they're absolutely right. Don't spend more than 65 points on a suit, no matter how awesome it is. That 65 includes the 25 just to get it on-field.

Either leave the broadside behind or get one or two more. Running a single-member broadside team only ends in tragedy.

Don't take the smart missile system on any vehicle if you can help it.

It's pretty much customary to take two Shas'el commanders. But, if you want to use the points for something else, go for it.

And follow Carrot's advice on the kroot. That is all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First of all, both people ahead of me said it right, 1 group of pathfinders is enough, they are too expensive to take more than that and they dont usually do enough damage to make up for their points. I like railrifles on em since it gives em some actual firepower but if you plan on moving them alot it might be better to leave em off. Same thing with your DF's, too expensive. If your going completely mechanized it would be worth having that many but usually you can get by with a FW squad in one and a PF squad in one and that should do. With all those extra points maybe get another FW squad and some crisis suits, you should have plenty after dropping all those PFs.

Also, definitely beef up your Kroot squad. They are pretty important to a Tau army and a group that small is going to be worthless. Get rid of the shaper and get some more warriors, forget the save, its never going to be worth it. An Ox is hit or miss, I dont mind if you have some points to waste and plan on shooting alot with your kroot, but those points could be better spent in general on more XV8s or even more hounds or kroot. Good luck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hey all.. thank you very much for the responses.. to my son's question.. he he.. he hijacked my login when I was not looking. He is brand new to 40k, as am I, and really likes TAU. Just getting used to the tactics, which are far different than the space marine army I am building.

appreciate the excellent comments. wish us luck this weekend. first 2000 pt battle. local shop is letting us borrow pieces until we can field a full army ourselves.

I have noticed he wants to send the kroot forward into battle, but have a feeling he needs to use those to cover his broadsides and fire warriors. We will be spending hours on this most excellent site.

thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah, well if you're borrowing models, then try anything and everything you can. Tau is my only army, so I don't know if other armies are like this, but in the Tau lineup there are several units that half the Tau camp hates while the other half swears by them. Kroot, Stealthsuits, Broadsides and Vespid are just a few such units. Yeah, it's basically just going to come down to what works for you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    91 (x2)

I personally run 2 squads of pathfinders in my list and 2 6 man fire warriors with devilfish. First off, a properly outfitted devilfish makes a great mobile weapons platform. mine cost 125 pts which includes smart missiles, targeting array, multi tracking, target lock and decoy launchers. It effectively gives you 7 ws 4 shots that you can move 12 and use. 3 at range 18 and 4 at range 24 (that you don't need los for). Yeah, that would be 12.5 more firewarriors for the same cost but in my opinion the mobility, firepower w/ improved ws is worth it. not to mention I just love smart missiles. One of the best tau weapons in my opinion.

Secondly, I use the 2 squads of pathfinders and love them. I go with 7 man squads 2 with rail rifles. I like this combo and will usually set them up in positions that support each other. nothing like the meq stopping power that also forces a pinning test. Not to mention the handy use of the second pathfinder squad's ML to drop their leadership on those pinning tests or to up your ws to make sure they hit. on top of that you get the extra devilfish. Keep in mind that pathfinder devilfish allow you to reroll your deep strikes if they have los to where you are DSing.

Also don't discount seeker missiles. I usually only have 3 in my 1500 point list but they work well to get juicy side armor or back armor shots. I'll even use them in conjuction with my rail rifles to saturate a single MEQ unit at the beginning of a battle to either completely wipe out that squad or atleast put them down below 50%.

Mostly I wouldnt go a third pathfinder squad. They are spendy and you do need other units to fill out other battlefield roles.

Again, People either love them or hate them. I hated pathfinders at first but love them now

+ Reply to Thread