Da Dakka Kroozade! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    147 (x5)

Da Dakka Kroozade!

Posting for a friend here, he wants to start up a shooty ork army. Based on tau. I.e. looted battlesuits, devilfish on wheels, and generally shooty orks.

So, the question:

How do you field a shooty ork army (my friend is a complete newbie, but i can explain how the game works etc, just looking for advice as orks is not something i know a lot about ).

Help Appreciated

Archy+co.

omgitsduane:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Archnomad
    Well I picked up my first model when I was 7.

I misunderstood that... ALOT

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    511 (x8)

Dakka!

The new orks are very shooty! A few weeks ago I beat a Tau player, and we only had a single close combat. The majority of his army I brought down with shoota boyz and rokkits.

Let's go unit by unit.

The shootiest HQ is the big Mek with the Shok Attack Gun. It can backfire occasionally, but it's a very nice choice and it's relatively inexpensive. In the 5th edition rules coming out, you may have to add him to a unit to be effective, but for the time being, they're fine on their own.

The shootiest Fast attack choice is rokkit buggies. Warbikes can put out more shots, but they cost a LOT more points, and are more of a calvary unit overall. Rokkit buggies are cheap, have armor rather than toughness and wounds (albeit the weakest armor available), and get a twin linked rokkit attack that they can shoot as long as they don't move more than 12in. They're a bit expensive in $ if you buy them retail, but you can probably find some cheap on ebay. Overall, they're my favorite ork unit.

The shootiest troop choice are shoota boyz, which you should field in units of at least 20 (although 22-25 is preferable) with 2 rokkits, and a nob with a powerklaw. The nob with the powerklaw is essential, as it ensures that your boyz can kill literally anything in the game, if they get into close combat. Without it, Dreadnaughts and monstrous creatures will eat them alive.

Now, you may have noticed that I've neglected using big shootas. They aren't bad, especially against troops, but the orks are already good against troops. Giving them rokkits ensures that your opponent's walkers and tanks won't ruin your day.

Virtually all the heavy choices are shooty, if you equip them right, but I favor the vehicles over the big guns. Looted wagons are cheap, and can be loaded with ordnance, or lots of guns. Both are effective, but the looted wagon will most likely be blown up fairly quick. Of course, if you drove it directly against the enemy's troops, this might be what you want. Again, they're very cheap, point wise. Battlewagons are a lot tougher, but cost a lot more points, and their ordnance gun is not as effective as the Looted Wagon's. Still, a Battlewagon covered in big shootas or rokkits can ruin your opponent's day. Just remember that you can't move and shoot more than a single rokkit, and when the new rules come out, big shootas will be included with that. Still, with 36in range, you could cover it in big shootas, load it up with shooty troops, and use it as a mobile bunkers.

I saved Elites for last because they're all good, and all cost the same points (excluding Nobz, which aren't shooty). Burnas all have flamers, which act as power weapons in close combat if you didn't shoot with them that turn. They're very versatile units, but they may not have the shootiness you're looking for. Lootas are extremely shooty, as they fire 1-3 strength 7, AP 4, 48in shots a turn, each. The catch is that they're heavy weapons, so you can't move. This is good if you plan to sit and shoot, but if you plan to run at the enemy, Tankbustas might do better. Every tankbusta has a rokkit, and unlike the other elites, they can also have a nob with a bosspole, which will give them a lot of staying power. Of course, they still only get a single shot each, but they are all firing strength 8 rokkits, and have tankbusta bombs for close combat, which will really help against enemy tanks and walkers. I'd skip the tankhammer option though, the tankbusta bombs are good enough, and you'd lose the rokkits. A battlewagon filled with tankbustas is a very popular choice, but remember to keep the wagon open topped, so they all can get their shots every turn.

One last thing. Monkeyclops112 (I hope I got his name right) had a very good shooty idea:

Up to 3 Lootas in any squad of Lootas can be changed into meks with big shootas at no cost. If you take a squad of 5 Lootas, upgrade 3 to Meks, and put them in a battlewagon that has 4 big shootas on it, you'll have 21 big shoota shots a turn, and 2-6 Loota shots as well, if you don't move. At 185 points, that's a bargain, especially considering the long range of the shots, and the difficulty your opponent will have getting through the front armor of 14.

Good luck!
    "Any job worth doing, is worth doing with a powerklaw."
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru.../mynameisgrax/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

147 (x5)

The rough plan for the army as is (was talking to him today at school)

Big Mek, with a Shokk Attack Gun (he loves the picture in the book where its whirring and you can see the tunnel thingy)

Warboss to go with his attacky unit. Mega Armour, Klaw, Attack Squig etc.

about 100 Shoota Boyz

Fast Attack he isnt too bothered, nothing too appealing.

He wants a Battlewagon, and 2 Looted Wagons.

He also wants a squad of tankbustaz ( with Rail Rifles is his plan >.>)

And Lootas

Emmm, i cant remember as it was a few hours ago....

Oh! he was having a problem as what to use for his looted battlesuits.

Anyone?

Thanks

Archy+co.
    omgitsduane:

Quote:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    511 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Archnomad View Post
    The rough plan for the army as is (was talking to him today at school)

Big Mek, with a Shokk Attack Gun (he loves the picture in the book where its whirring and you can see the tunnel thingy)

Warboss to go with his attacky unit. Mega Armour, Klaw, Attack Squig etc.

about 100 Shoota Boyz

Fast Attack he isnt too bothered, nothing too appealing.

He wants a Battlewagon, and 2 Looted Wagons.

He also wants a squad of tankbustaz ( with Rail Rifles is his plan >.>)

And Lootas

Emmm, i cant remember as it was a few hours ago....

Oh! he was having a problem as what to use for his looted battlesuits.

Anyone?

Thanks

Archy+co.
    Looted battlesuits? I'm not sure what you mean.

Tankbusters don't get railrifles, that's a Tau weapon. I'm not certain what he's referring to. They get rokkits, or tankhammers, and tankhammers are lame, as you lose the rokkit, they aren't much better than tankbusta bombs, and although it's a strength 10 hit in CC, your opponent still gets its regular save, making it all but useless against monstrous creatures.

As for looted wagons and battlewagons, marine or imperial guard vehicles work fine, although the battlewagon should be larger, as it's supposed to hold more people. Also, I'd suggest he play a few games before definitely attaching the weapons to the vehicles, so he can get an idea exactly what he wants on them.

I didn't mention it, but if he's going to have CC troops, he really needs trukks. After several tries, I've found you can't reliably get large groups of boyz on foot into CC. The standard method (when including a warboss) is to use a trukk with 10 slugga boyz and 1 Nob with a powerklaw inside. This is 11 guys, leaving an empty space for your warboss, and you can have him start inside the trukk. A nice trick is having multiple trukks with boyz in them, and as long as you either write down which trukk is which, or have a 3rd party keep track, you do not have to tell your opponent which trukk has the warboss in it. You just need to be able to reliably prove that he was in that trukk from the beginning.

You could also transport them in a battlewagon, as a very reliable, yet price transport. In this case, be sure to give the battlewagon at least one gun, or else 'weapon destroyed' results will immobilize it instead, doubling the chance of not being able to move. I just wouldn't use a Looted Wagon for this purpose, though. As a transport, it's little more than a mobile coffin. Trukks at least have special rules that make blowing up not so big a deal.

I'd still highly recommend rokkit buggies, but hey, it's his army.

100 shoota boyz is a lot of boyz. If you're footslogging that many boyz, you might want to consider a Weirdboy instead of a warboss. Upgrade him to a warp 'ead, and you'll have an average of about 2 extra wauuugggghhhs every game, assuming you keep him alive. Ghazghkull is also nice, as he makes certain that your standard wauuggghhh is the full 6in, and he's more powerful than a warboss. Without these, your shoota boyz may have trouble keeping near the enemy.

Last, but not least, make sure your friend takes 2 rokkits for every 20+ unit of shoota boyz. Without them, tanks and walkers might roll right over them.
    Last edited by mynameisgrax; February 20th, 2008 at 19:59. Reason: grammar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

147 (x5)

Looted suits are a conversion. Debating what ork unit would represent them best.

The wagons are being represented by looted tau tanks (devilfish on wheels >.>)

The rail rifles are conversions for the tankbustas.

Combat troops are coming in the form of Snikrot and squad (to represent orks acting like kroot), and the Battlewagon is indeed going to be a transport for either nobz or boyz...

I get to help with the converting Should be fun
    omgitsduane:

Quote:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

511 (x8)

Nice

Sounds nice! ^_^

Crisis suits should convert fairly well into either killa kans or deff dreads, whichever you prefer, although killa kans would probably be more appropriate, given their size.

You could also possibly use them as mega-armor, but in that case I'd glue an ork head somewhere on it, perhaps in the middle, to show that a nob or warboss hollowed it out, cut a hole for his head to stick out of, and then tried it on. :happy:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

147 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by mynameisgrax View Post
    Sounds nice! ^_^

Crisis suits should convert fairly well into either killa kans or deff dreads, whichever you prefer, although killa kans would probably be more appropriate, given their size.

You could also possibly use them as mega-armor, but in that case I'd glue an ork head somewhere on it, perhaps in the middle, to show that a nob or warboss hollowed it out, cut a hole for his head to stick out of, and then tried it on. :happy:
    Well, we thought of something along the lines of the large construction thing Ripley uses to fight the Queen in Aliens....

Google that if you dont know what it is

Of course, orkified, with gunz etc

Also, we though flash gitz and mega armour would do it best >.>

More thoughts appreciated!

Archy+co.
    omgitsduane:

Quote:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

511 (x8)

Mega-armor

Quote Originally Posted by Archnomad View Post
    Well, we thought of something along the lines of the large construction thing Ripley uses to fight the Queen in Aliens....

Google that if you dont know what it is

Of course, orkified, with gunz etc

Also, we though flash gitz and mega armour would do it best >.>

More thoughts appreciated!

Archy+co.
    Flash gitz would be the wrong size. You're better off using stealth suits or the like for that. Flash gitz use normal sized bases, and crisis suits use large bases. By the rules you can technically use any size base for any model, but it would create some confusion, and cause other game-related issues.

If you're going for the Aliens 2 ripley armor, then mega-armor would be the ideal choice, as long as you wanted it to be close combat focused. If you were thinking 'shooty', then killa-kans or deffdreads would make more sense.

+ Reply to Thread