Librarium Online Forums banner

Help with Gaunts please.

938 views 16 replies 14 participants last post by  Spook2k5 
#1 ·
new to the forums/new to 40k
i currently have 20 termagaunts from the battle for maccragg set (i bought one for the rules n stuff then a friend bought another and i swiped the models offa him :party:)
i have 2 battle force boxes and i have no clue how to equip my gaunts from that, im tempted to make more termagaunts but from what ive read here i see that spinegaunts r favored... help?
also, is it considered too costly/pointless to give them w/o number? currently in my list my gaunts have it.

#2 · (Edited)
I'm glad to give my two cents to an new nids player. All i can give you is my experence as i'm not good at mathammer.

I prefere the spineguants to the termeguants for really one reason, price. It may be only a point a model but that can ad up when you have 16 of them, like 16 pts. The reason is that i use my guants to tie up other units and have found that you rarely if ever get that 12 inch range to shoot before i charge in. And spineguants and termeguants die all the same.

I bought the Battle for Maccragg set as well and use the termeguants from it, becuase its easy to tell broods apart when their diffrent models.

Make what you want but just don't make Death guants with the devouers. I did that and am going to change to spine guants as they're shooting is worthless. (Unless you pay to upgrade)

#3 ·
I agree on that. Spinegaunts are the best of the three IMHO. There's nothing wrong with termagaunts either, they are just a little more expensive.

As for without number, I used to take it but it normally ends up not being worth it. Try it a few times and see what you think.

#5 ·
I have only got gaunts from the gaunt box and have made all the reg. gaunts into spineguants and the homogaunts into termagaunts. In my limited tyranid experience they don't often get more than one shot if that in a game so the extra point is not really brilliantly spent. But I do like the versitility and the thought that one day my termagaunts are going to pop a tank!

Make a mixture (hence spines) this way you won't go far wrong and only the most stringent tournie list will be able to really tell the diff. BTW. flesh borrers en-masse are actually quite effective for their points vs marines.

#8 ·
I like termagants, because their weapon is in my oppinion quite useful, and stronger that that of the spinegaunt.

Also, I like them as some kind of backup for the small chane I can shoot at AL 10 0:
Like those of light skimmers, transport (especially Chimera's, of which I killed 2 btw with my gaunts 8X).

And I don't mind missing those 3 gaunts of the chance of getting to shoot a little bit better ;)

#9 ·
I prefer termagaunts to spinegaunts but I still have both in my list. Its nice to have a little variety in your list not to mention I find it funny that most of my oppenents shoot my spines first before my termagaunts. Not to mention there are those times where it would be much better to shoot your guns instead of charging (Harlequins are a good example though charging after shooting is a good idea).

#10 ·
im sorry, but i prefer Termagaunts. Strength 4 hits are nothing to laugh at, and with Rerolls to wound, even power armor will fall to them. Spinefists get rerolls to hit, but i prefer reroll to wound. remember, it doesnt how many hits actually hit (b/c there are sooo many gaunts) but how many wound. And btw, Termies are 1 point more than Spinies. I would use both however.

#11 ·
I have tried both and I must say I am a spinegaunts man. The termagaunts are good but in most cases I have found you normally won't get a chance to shoot that gun anyways. The only time you don't fleet if you are within six inches of the target and are promised a charge even if you end up killing the front line. The more gaunts the better and spines can just give more. I run 4 squads of them and 2 small squads of stealers and raveners to play janitor once the enemy is locked down.

#12 ·
I think im just going to stick with my 36 termagaunts and get around double that in spines later (once i can get the money 0.o). 36 points will probably not make that much of a difference in smaller games... or so i think :0

#13 ·
Hive Commander Bolgri

To be honest, there's nothing wrong with fielding termagaunts. Just understand that they'll prove more effective when you consider shooting at targets instead of just fleeting all the time. The STR 4 is usually a standard weapon strength (which is unusual in Tyranid troops) and the fact you can "re-roll wounds" makes it an interesting Marine Equivalent (MEQ) killing unit. Oddly enough, there's also a statistical chance that you can destroy a rhino or low armored vehicle.

Spinegaunts are generally better than termagaunts, but all you really have to do is alter your tactics.
http://www.librarium-online.com/forums/members/bolgri.html

#14 ·
well said.

I use both, and so far to good effect because i don't fleet with them all that much. They are a wall to stop enemy chargers from getting into combat with my warriors and MC's. This means that even if the enemy get close the gaunts don't attack, they just stand and shoot and form a wall that you have to deal with. They actually do a lot of damage (more than a marine) at range and this coupled with the shooting of my warriors and MC's creates a very strong wall of fire that the enemy have to weather in before they hit my front lines. At which point i consolidate to get a shot in after combat resolves itself.

#15 ·
While you guys keep debating between spine and termagaunts, i'd like to tell you a story about my termagaunts:

At one time, i played against my friends eldar army which has a smigen of everything including a wraithlord and a falcon. My termies advanced under shuriken fire all the way across the board until they reached a squad of deep striking warp spiders and heres what they did: They wiped out the spiders with shooting and a short round of combat, regrouped and shoot apart his seer council, helped wipe out an annoying unit of avengers with defend, and charged and destroyed a unit of dark reapers. This one unit took out the heart of his army and at the end of turn 4 he was left with just a heavily damaged falcon;Y

So, in review, TERMAGAUNTS ARE AWESOME!!!!!

#16 ·
From my experience spine gaunts are the most widely used gaunts mostly because they're dirt cheap and their mail objective is to get shot at. So it's always good to have extra spine gaunts! homagaunts are secondly most used as they can assault opponents 24" away in two turns if lucky fleet rolls are made. After them termagaunts and devourergaunts are used but they aren't that popular really. They will mostly get used when you have special use for them in mind. Most armylists will mostly just contain two types of gaunts (spine and homagaunts).

While xhivetyrantx told an awesome story about termagaunts. I can tell a story about homagaunts. Once I playad a Ultra marine army and he kept shooting at my stealers and ravengers so my homagaunt brood was pretty unharmed when I was in assaultrange of his terminator squad. I assaulted him and he got so many save rolls that he lost 6 out of 8 terminators (I had 16 homagaunts that assaulted). They ran and I cut them down while they were running. And ran into his devastator squad. Heavy fire no more!

#17 ·
They ran and I cut them down while they were running. And ran into his devastator squad. Heavy fire no more!
I think ATSKNF makes that impossible, but it might've been outnumbering wounds.

Anywho, the choice of a nid player's gaunts defines him in a way.

Termagaunts, Spinegaunts, Devourergants and Hormagaunts.

Now the devourer gaunts are generally used by folks who believe gaunts should pack more firepower then a small imperial guard platoon. They also tend to be the priciest gaunts, with toxin sacs and their fancy devourers. But thats two attacks, rerolling hits, at MEQ killing strength out of the lot of them.

Spinegaunts tend to be used differently from other gaunts. I dub them 'econo-gaunts' for that very reason. No toxin sacs, no scuttlers, no nothing. The bare, cheapass spinegaunt with his dinky little twin linked guard killing gun. He's taken for numbers. The fact you can buy ten of the little blighters for fifty points or so exemplifies this. In my list of utter gaunt insanity (2500pts, 6 troop slots full of full sized gaunt squads) I almost entirely used spines, for the cheapness factor. Spines are also the easiest gaunt to put together, since you don't need to link their arm to the rest of their bioweapon.

Termagaunts are the 'basic' gaunt. They have powerful firing, are about as cheap as spines, and almost as numerous as a result. Their virtues have repeatedly been expounded on.

Hormagaunts are shock troops par excellance. Genestealers are living horrors to deal with, but hormas aren't a picnic either. With either toxin sacs or an initiative upgrade, they tend to smack into anything they hit and inflict egregious damage round after round. Spine and termagaunts in assault tie things up, hormagaunts kill them.

There's no such thing as a bad gaunt.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.