Big Mek Kustom Force Field Rule - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Big Mek Kustom Force Field Rule

I have been playing my friend's footslugger ork army recently and he uses a Big Mek kuston Force field. He puts him in the middle and has all his squads within 6 inches, even making a line so that one or two guys from a 20 man squad are within 6 inches. Now does it have to be majority within 6 or even one or two guys out a 20 ork squad?

Thx

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    443 (x8)

Well, the Codex does not explicitly state what constitutes a unit being "within" the field. Since its not too terribly specific, it can generally be safe to go by the loosest interpretations. And besides, exactly how many times does the game require something to be entirely in an area to be considered "within". I can site objectives as a good example of this.

Anyway, your friend is doing it right, although stringing out a mob of twenty just to put one or two "within" is kinda sleazy, if not outright unsporting.
    "It takes a vast amount of self control to be this dangerous."
    ---Ogvai Ogvai Helmshrot, Jarl of Tra, VI Legion Astartes

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    63 (x3)

Well, i'm pretty sure it would follow the normal rules for cover saves so over half the squad would have to be within range.

Even if it doesn't, having only a few guys in wouldn't matter because you have to use the majority save anyway.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    443 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Guthbrand View Post
    Well, i'm pretty sure it would follow the normal rules for cover saves so over half the squad would have to be within range.

Even if it doesn't, having only a few guys in wouldn't matter because you have to use the majority save anyway.

The rule does not state that "models" within receive benefit, but that "units" receive the cover save. So majority save means nothing, as either the entire unit gets the save or not at all.
    "It takes a vast amount of self control to be this dangerous."
    ---Ogvai Ogvai Helmshrot, Jarl of Tra, VI Legion Astartes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by psichotykwyrm View Post
    The rule does not state that "models" within receive benefit, but that "units" receive the cover save. So majority save means nothing, as either the entire unit gets the save or not at all.
    Couldn't agree more. The codex states as follows:

A kustom force field gives all units within 6" of the Mek a cover save of 5+. Vehicles within 6" are treated as being obscured targets

Note the usage of the word UNIT. Therefore if he is with a unit, that unit, whatever its size, would benefit from the force field's save. This could be a small 10 man squad of boyz or a 500+ model Green Tide. If any one model of a unit is within 6" it should be treated as though the whole unit has a 5+ inv save.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    63 (x3)

sweeeeeeeeeeeet. ^_^

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree that the current wording of the KFF would lead many to believe that as long as one model in the unit is within the 6" range, than the wholse unit gets the save, but due to teh amount of abuse of that I've seen, It honestly wouldn't suprise me if they release the Ork FAQ staing that the majority of the unit has to be within the range to gain teh affects. That's just my opinion of course lol.

Cheers,
    Scott
    I like my women how I like my coffee! In a plastic cup! - Eddie Izzard

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I understand why you might fear abuse of it, I don't condone power gaming (at least no outside tournaments) through exploiting such things, but I should remind you that there are a number of cheesier things out there in 40k universe. The lash of cheese wizz (aka as the lash of submission) is commonly used in a completely bent manner where by they move your guys 2D6“ and rearrange them so you Nob who should be covered is left exposed in assault

bbbbbbbbbb
    bbbbbbbbbb
    bbbbNbbbbb

I
    V

bbbbbbbbbb
    bbbbbbbbbb
    bbbbbbbb
    b
    N

If you know your going to be facing the lash feel free to be to abuse this as much as you like as your going to get a lot more from your opponent then you can give him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh, I agree that their are "cheesier" (god I hate that word) things out there. But at least Lash of Submission is used to move a single unit around to give the player an opening or whatever. KFF is often abused to give up to 6 mobs a 5+ cover save. I don't see the lash being abused in teh way you described (I admit, it bugs me when taht sort of thing happens to me, but i still dont' see that as abuse, I see that as a very good tactical idea - and yeah I suppose you could call the KFF giving 6 mobs tactical, but you know as well as I do that that is just plain and simple abuse of the thing - imho of course lol).

Cheers,
    Scott
    I like my women how I like my coffee! In a plastic cup! - Eddie Izzard

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by scooter_booter88 View Post
    Oh, I agree that their are "cheesier" (god I hate that word) things out there. But at least Lash of Submission is used to move a single unit around to give the player an opening or whatever. KFF is often abused to give up to 6 mobs a 5+ cover save. I don't see the lash being abused in teh way you described (I admit, it bugs me when taht sort of thing happens to me, but i still dont' see that as abuse, I see that as a very good tactical idea - and yeah I suppose you could call the KFF giving 6 mobs tactical, but you know as well as I do that that is just plain and simple abuse of the thing - imho of course lol).

Cheers,
    Scott
    Everyone has there own views about what constitutes abuse of units and abilities. I have seen the lash used that way twice before and frankly I think its blatantly taking advantage of a rather hazy rule (if it had meant to allow for reorganising of squads form it would have said it) and even had someone I know who does it regularly try it on me but couldn’t get through my geyknights psychic defences. That said I wouldn't use a KFF in such a manner out of a tournament or a apocalypse match

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast