WAAGHS V.S Eldar - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WAAGHS V.S Eldar

So like an idiot I was in the Local GW store talking bout How Harlequins are the Angels of Death to most things in the 40K universe. And the manager of the GW store was like...Orcs can kill Harlequins in Close Combat. So We Diced it off....and the masters of the webway slaughtered the green skins as per usual....and now he's Challenged me to a 750 battle tomorrow.

Now other the Halequins which I believe earned the right to die in the battle since they caused it. does anyone have anything they'd bring, or that they think would help put down some orcs, its my first time playing them and I dont want to die horribly in front of all my friends lol.

thanks my all commers list is as follows

1 Waveserpent with lances, filled with five dire avengers and a autarch with a PW, Exarch has a PW
    1 Falcon with Scatter Laser, filled with 6 Harlies with kisses
    and
    5 Pathfindes... I have a bunch of other models and he'll let me proxy out so any tips will be appreciated thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, it isn't bad...but it could be much better since you KNOW which race you are fighting. You could choose a bunch more horde killers.

The pathfinders will be near useless here compared to what else you could use. Drop them. All of them. Put in some foot slogging Dire Avengers with a farseer with fortune if you can. Since orks can match your range, but NOT your shooting, the farseer will keep the squad alive while you just walk them backwards.

The power weapons are point less. A power weapon to a ork is like a brightlance shot into a brood of nids. It will kill one of the horse, but thats about it. Drop the power weapon in favor of a set of catapults. They will prove much more useful against the orks. Hitting on a 2+ and wounding on a 4+ with four shots plus the squad isn't half bad.

The autarch with a power weapon I would suggest dropping for the farseer mentions above, or give him a death spinner or catapult and shoot him. Give him a Chainsword for your weapon and mandiblasters if you have the points.

The lances on the wave serpent I feel are a bit wasted as the weapons on the falcon will more than handle anything you come against with orks in 750. They will probably have two cans and thats about it. Drop them for scatter lasers. I hope this thing has stones. If you must use this at all. I would suggest dropping for maxing out squads.

The falcon needs holo fields at least. And the cannon undermount upgrade will do WONDERS in this fight.

Ok so let me recap.

1) Drop the pathfinders for another squad of dire avengers.
    2) Drop the power weapons for more shots and bladestorm
    3) drop the serpent and just walk them backwards. I don't think he will be using that 200 point model in this game so their charge range isn't 18 inches.
    4) Max out the dire avenger squads.
    5) Farseer for one of the squads or change the autarch.
    6) Holo fields on falcon and cannon undermount.

The list you have now won't do so hot. You want to shoot orks to death, and have the squads with the shooting power to do it. Eldar MUST have numbers or they can't work. The harlequins are fine, since they are the topic of the bet, xD, and they are the only thing you want in close combat.

Um...thats about it. If you want me to I can come up with a list that has these aspects and is 750points.
    Eldar Craftworld Igsolus-Toc (reset for 5th)
    0 / 0 / 0 3500+

Tyranids Hive Fleet Oceanus (reset for 5th)
    0 / 0 / 0 WIP around 1600 points

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In 750pts, I'd frop the Pathfinders too. Pathfinders actually do alot better than most give credit for in my opinon (I always use 10 in battles of 1K upwards, and it's often that I win objective based games because of them, and they can also fiarly easily kill of those IC that are at the front of the army lol - but in anything less than 1K, they're just eating up your points).

Try spending some points on a few War Walkers with Scatter Lasers and a Farseer with Guide. They have better range than most Ork Weapons and if you can pump out 24 shots a turn with re-rolls to hit, you can chew up orks very quickly, but of course this will eat up a few points...(I think it works out at about 280pts for 3 warwalkers and the farseer).

Other than that, I'd have to agree with Stormwind.

Good luck!
    Cheers,
    Scott
    I like my women how I like my coffee! In a plastic cup! - Eddie Izzard

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

scorps, harlies, farseer

If you need some numbers take a guard squad with flamers and a warlock with enhance.

For sure take your harlies.

Also, scorps do well against greenskins.

If you have point a farseer with fortune and doom will help.

good luck!
    Have fun,

Frank

"Orcs are what happens when Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles grow old and bitter."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah light infantry, bring the shuriken wall!

Against power armour the sheer volume of shots translates into so few casualties Guardians and Avengers can seem frustrating, but against the green horde it's fun time. A Guide and/or Doom Farseer coupled with a veritable bushel of shuriken catapults will see you laughing all the way to the bank.

I know Avengers have become the new favourites but personally I prefer Guardians due to their heavy weapon and warlock options, plus they respond better to guide.
    This goes double against orks where Avengers have no way of striking out at a truck outside of it's charge range, guardians have the chance to reach out and hit said truck with scatter lasers and the like.

So, shurikens for thinning, Harlies for chargers/characters, and if you must insist on using the Wave Serpent, give it scatter lasers and consider loading it up with storm guardians with flamers and a destructor warlock for basically turing everything within 8" of your disembark into crispy critters, plus thei ain't too shabby at holding their own against the Orks up close and personal thanks to their warlock and his witch blade (alternatively you could drop the destructor for enhance and really give em hell in melee)

You may notice a Guardian theme there, yup, I love the citizen militia of the craftworld, their just such a handy bunch, and killing light infantry by the boxload is what they do best.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so this is what im running with...

Farseer with Fortune spiritstones singing spear and runes of witnessing
    two dire Avenger squads with Exarchs Avenger catapult upgrade and bladestorm
    Harlies...7 with kisses a shadowseer and a troupe master
    Fireprisim with H-fields and S.S...and a shuriken Cannon
    War Walkers with a Scatterlaser and a Starcannon...for good measure...

how does it look

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GZ27 View Post
    so this is what im running with...

Farseer with Fortune spiritstones singing spear and runes of witnessing
    two dire Avenger squads with Exarchs Avenger catapult upgrade and bladestorm
    Harlies...7 with kisses a shadowseer and a troupe master
    Fireprisim with H-fields and S.S...and a shuriken Cannon
    War Walkers with a Scatterlaser and a Starcannon...for good measure...

how does it look
    If the Farseer has stones, what other power is he taking (I suggest guide) and drop the runes. I find it's rare to miss 10LD on your Psychic test. If he will be running any Psychic stuff, then take Warding.

I'd drop the Troupe master and take another regular Harlie.

Good Luck!
    Homer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Orks' strength is in numbers. However, Orks have a very difficult time taking down armored targets, particularly skimmers. I would suggest either going skimmer/dire avenger heavy or vehicle/jetbike heavy with dozens of shots. The Orks themselves also suffer from weak armor values on their own vehicles, so weapons such as bright lances will be a waste of points; strength 6 weaponry will work well enough. Something along the lines of one of these two lists is what I would use:

- Farseer with jetbike, doom, spear
    - Dire Avengers, exarch with dual catapults and bladestorm, mounted in a Wave Serpent with spirit stones, vectored engines, TL scatter lasers and shuriken cannon
    - Dire Avengers, exarch with dual catapults and bladestorm, mounted in a Wave Serpent with spirit stones, vectored engines, TL scatter lasers and shuriken cannon
    - War Walker with 2 shuriken cannons
    - War Walker with 2 shuriken cannons

or

- Farseer with Guide
    - 3 jetbikes with shuriken cannon
    - 3 jetbikes with shuriken cannon
    - 3 War Walkers with scatter lasers
    - 3 War Walkers with scatter lasers
    - 3 War Walkers with 4 scatter lasers and 2 shuriken cannons

Alternately, on the second list you could try something tricky, and opt to drop the ninth walker with shuriken cannons to add spirit stones and mind war on the farseer. In this instance, you could take out stuff that could hurt the walkers first (kans and dreadnaughts, for instance) then once the orks got close, use mind war to get rid of the power claw on the nob in a unit of boyz and assault that unit with the walkers. As long as you are the one assaulting them, they cannot hurt you without the nob.

If you do not have that many War Walkers, Vypers can work too.
    Last edited by Deorum; February 28th, 2008 at 22:33. Reason: Meant scatter lasers on the Wave Serpents

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    198 (x4)

Wow, nearly everyone has suggested something different! Awesone, goes to show how much variety is out there. To continue this trend somewhat I'm also going to make a suggestion.
    As Frank said, scorpions work well against orks. Their high number of attacks and their 3+ save (as well as higher than average S for eldar) means that they can chew through most ork units with relative ease, and their high Initiative means they will hit first.
    War walkers are also a good choice. Give them 2 scatter lasers (the higher rate of fire easily outweighs the higher ap and less shots of the star cannon) each. Alternatively, you could go with Vypers - being skimmers they are slightly harder to kill than the walkers.
    As for troops, while I am usually a staunch supporter of pathfinders, against orks I don't think they'll be worth it at this points value (unless you know he is bringing a squad of mega-armoured nobs). For an extra 30-odd points you can replace the 5 pathfinders with a unit of 10 Dire Avengers, Bladestorm and two shuricats on the exarch.
    I understand that the harlies have to be in their, otherwise there isn't a point to the battle. I would go for 5 harlies and a shadowseer, at least 3 with kisses.
    As for HQ - stick with a farseer - doom and guide or even just guide if you want to go the cheaper route.
    I don't have my codex handy at the moment, so I'm not sure of the points cost, but something like this is what I would take (note it is probably over because I'm making it up as I go along).
    HQ
    Farseer with Guide
    ELITE
    6 Striking Scorpions - Exarch, Infiltrate
    6 Harlequins - Shadowseer, 5 Kisses
    TROOPS
    8 Avengers - Exarch, Bladestorm, 2 Shuricats
    8 Avengers - Exarch, Bladestorm, 2 Shuricats
    HEAVY SUPPORT
    War Walker - 2 Scatter Lasers
    War Walker - 2 Scatter Lasers.

If by some miracle it is under, flesh out the Avenger Squads and look at adding a Vyper or 2 (or even completely replacing the Walkers with Vypers).

Cheers,

Thomo.
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain (It's time to roll the dice)- Mattrim Cauthon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To be fair Deorum's second list is probably the most powerful, i'm just not sure you'd ever be able to get the smell of specially tailored cheese out of your clothes

Joking aside the principles in all their different forms are the same, a cheap damage boosting farseer combined with a small hardcore melee group to keep the orks off your infantry and as much S4-6 shots as you can muster, AP not important.

Either that or go pure mobile, keep him at arm's length and pick at him with the same S4-6 guns all the while leaving him with nothing to do but run after you firing rockets.

Your army selection has that covered, doubt your fire prism will fire focussed beam much but could be handy for truck nuking is necessary, otherwise let the Avengers do the gruntwork and work on your range guessing, ideally you'll drop your Avengers in fire range of 7-8 of an infantry squad at a time, this will allow you to wipe out everyone within 18" and thus deny him a next turn charge even with Waaaghh meaning you have next turn to step back again and put down another 7-8 before he even thinks about charging. Squeezing in Doom to make use of the spirit stones would make those numbers even higher.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast