Warhammer 40k 5th Edition and You!! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Warhammer 40k 5th Edition and You!!

ALL CREDITS TO Intellectawe on 40konline forums

So... looking at the rumors surrounding the up and coming 5th edition by Summerish of this year, I could not help be read all the negative posts around the net concerning this edition.

Being a survivor of the dreaded 2nd ed to 3rd ed switch, I could only help but try to look at the positives of the new edition.

Remember, these are only rumors, they ARE NOT set in stone, so take my comments here with a grain of salt please. I am trying to be as optimistic as possible, so please keep that in mind when reading my comments.

All models friend or foe now block line of sight. Vehicles and Monstrous Creature can be targeted over intervening infantry.

This one makes me wet my pants. This can ONLY be a boon for us. Can you say the return of Grotesques? Our Grot screen will be better than the Ork's Grot screen due to the new line of sight rules for model height.

Also, the Raider Rush is back! Now we can block LOS to our units with both Grots and Raiders.

-Dedicated transports can now carry any unit (subject to normal restrictions, i.e., no Terminators) and are no longer the deathtraps they have been (no entangling, just pinning).

This one has endless possibilities for our army, as Raiders crash and burn, the surviving ones are still useful by helping stranded units now! Another boost for Raiders!

-Skimmers Moving Fast is now a 5+ cover save. (I have heard this is the new rule for All Obscured Targets)

I have seen the math hammer done on this. Versus Skimmers Moving Fast rule now and this new cover save rule, our skimmers, by mathhammer standards, now have around a 4-5% higher survivability rating. Not much, but as people think this new rule is bad, it is actually a boon for us... even though it is a small boon.

-There is no IC protection any longer unless he is joined to a unit

Grotesques anyone???

-Dark Eldar are not gone, as they're mentioned in the rules (their jetbikes DO get the 6" assault).

So it seems out 6" assault would now be official after that wargear book fiasco.

-Deepstrike is the same, but if you can't place all the models, you roll on the "deepstrike mishap" table (50% you're dead, 50% you place yourself anywhere you like).

Seems interesting with a Army of Darkness model for DE. That extra 50% place anywhere helps put units like ravagers and Scourges where we want them to survive instead of out in the open. They would normally die anyway due to their fragility, so the 50% to die thing doesn't bother me a bit. We are essentially going from 'Deepstrike and die' we have now to 'Deepstrike and possibly live'. It is still not an effective way of handling an army, but this does help units out that need it a bit. Enough to play on the table top? I am not sure. Scourges still suck

-After shooting and wounding, you can choose to become pinned. You get a +1 to cover save (or a 6+ if you're in the open). It's the "get down!" rule.

Hahahha... Mandrakes in cover will love this ability. Nice to hold objectives as being in a forest would now give them a 2+ cover save ha

-No re-roll of wounding against transported infantry no matter how far you moved.

Gives Raider/Wych squads a bit more survivability I guess

-Fast vehicles can move up to 18" (their max speed now) and only fire defensive.

If this is true, the 'All Disintegrater Ravage' will be immensely more powerful that it already is! I just hope that this is fire all defensive weapons, and not just one, as the rumor does NOT confirm either.

Just so everyone knows, Defensive weapons are now strength 4 and bellow. Which handicaps a lot of armies, but does not bother us much at all.

-Transports: If your transport is destroyed, passengers now take a S:4 hit, saves allowed (instead of a 4+). If an open-topped transport is destroyed, it's a S:3 hit because its easier to disembark.

Interesting. I think we actually take more damage now right? Looks that way... Why did I post this? I am an idiot thats why.

-Bikes all now get a 3+ cover save for their turbo-boost. So the psy-cannon thing is out the window.

Makes our bikes tougher I like it!

And the best one...

-Fearless REALLY sucks now. There's no limit to the number of wounds you can take from being outnumbered. 20 to 1? That's 20 armor saves.

Yes! As Dark Eldar, we are one of the only armies without ANY special Leadership tricks. We are leadership 8, thats it. Now, when you assault that Fearless unit with your Archon and 10 Grots, you will effectively wipe the unit off the board with your massive outnumbering!

Is it me, or did Grots go from totally useless to now "Should I take Grots or Wyches" when deciding your army flavor? Wyches; grots are not, but Grots fill in their intended role so perfectly now.

Comments on the rumors? What I have said? Your feelings? Actually, I don't care about your feelings. I would much rather take your soul from your dying body and feed it to She Who Thirsts...

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    44 (x2)

*Long low whistle*
    Not too shabby. I've been following the rumors myself, and it seems like things will look up for us, at least until our new codex comes out, but w/e, still nice. Besides, it may take them another decade to finish our codex at this rate anyway.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

HUZZAH! Dark Eldar have become my favourite army after the fall of my beloved Night Lords...Looking fowward to 5th Edition and maybe a new codex!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have heard the transport rumours from a GW staff member so thats good it seems very likely to happen which would be good for us thats just one stength three hit for each model so oursurvival rat on a squad of ten warriors is now about 7 or 8 while wyches can expect to survive 5-6 out of ten which is a lot better than it is now.

Good thing I have quite a few grots.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This stuff sounds good to me. I might just have to get some grots now that they can't be ignored as a screen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    159 (x5)

apartently the rules have changed, now the grots will give you a 4+ cover save. but hay! that aint bad! Is it better than a raider? that will be left to be seen
    Caps-Lock, its like cruise-control for AWESOMENESS!
    Dear Game Developer,
    Rock is cheese, Paper is just fine
    Signed Scissors.

WWP and other Dark Eldar how to
    http://forums.relicnews.com/showthread.php?t=149386

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    38 (x1)

Yeah I also read about the cover save instead of true blocking change but I don't think it's so bad, it will still make a big difference to things like wyches, The biggest advantage in that for us is that the cover save is generally speaking better than our armour save, as opposed to a space marine who would still prefer his 3+ armour.

I ran some numbers on raider survivability, I can post my maths if you guys are interested but I worked out that it will take on average 0.5 extra lascannon hits, an extra 15 bolter hits and an extra 3 heavy bolter hits to kill a raider that is moving fast under the rumored rules. Note: These are weapon HITS, rather than shots, once you add BS into that it jumps even further.

While it's not amazing, and I still wouldn't want to leave squads standing around in raiders too much it is an improvement and it means you might get a few extra kills out of those dark lances.

I think the fact that fast skimmers can't move as far anymore will be interesting because people will get used to the idea of eldar and tau tanks slowing down a bit whereas a raider shooting out of a webway portal still has it's 12" + 2" + D6" + 6" assault range. Might shock a few people even worse than it did before.

The only thing I don't get is:

Fast vehicles can move up to 18" (their max speed now) and only fire defensive.
    I'm not sure where you get this, but my pdf says "Fast vehicles moving Flat Out may fire no weapons."

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    434 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by drunkspleen View Post

The only thing I don't get is:

I'm not sure where you get this, but my pdf says "Fast vehicles moving Flat Out may fire no weapons."
    Hi,
    My “leaked” pdf states that “No shooting defensive weapons if you move full speed,” and then goes onto say “Fast vehicles can move up 18” and only fire defensive.” (Strength 4 or below, Horrorfex anyone?)

This is 2 different things here, one rule for “vehicles” and another for “fast vehicles.”

But who is to say that my pdf is the latest one?

Cheers.
    In a controversy the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    38 (x1)

looks like we simply have different versions then, would be nice to be able to ascertain a date so we knew which version is the more recent, oh well

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    434 (x8)

That’s the trouble with unconfirmed rumors, they’re unconfirmed!

GW must be laughing its head off right now due to the amount of free press time its getting so I am not going to sweat it at all until 5th Ed actually becomes official.

Cheers.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast