Stealth suits? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stealth suits?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stealth suits?

hello im a new player to tau and i have no clue what stealth suits are good for they are really short ranged weapons and they dont do much in a battle what are they used for or good for?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    299 (x7)

Not dying.

They do not kill a lot. They're just there that one or two turns that you need them.

Of course, many beginners think you should shoot with stealths...they are wrong.

A good example (some might notice my wins increased yesterday to 101), I game I had against Imperial Guard yesterday. Stealths are great at killing guard right? (He had a LOT of infantry, 2 chimeras, demolisher, basilisk, and a sentinel).

They only shot one and a half turns. Turn 5 they shot and killed 8 guard in a unit, turn 6 they killed the other 2 guard.

Why did I not shoot them at more guard and mow down 3 or 4 units instead of 1?

They would have died.
    Last edited by onlainari; March 3rd, 2008 at 03:34.
    Quote Originally Posted by rikimaru View Post
    You have the option for instance of infiltrating, outflanking, pillboxing, or anti assault.

And that's just with the Kroot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They won't kill a lot if you don't order them to shoot...

I'm sure I'm missing some grand strategy here, but isn't telling your Tau not to shoot like telling your Berzerkers not to charge?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    299 (x7)

If they wanted stealths to shoot they would have made them range 24".

As it is the unit you shoot at (and any unit next to it) can shoot you back.

The stealth field is extremely useful moving around the board, not around the enemy.
    Quote Originally Posted by rikimaru View Post
    You have the option for instance of infiltrating, outflanking, pillboxing, or anti assault.

And that's just with the Kroot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I kind of agree with Onlainari here. My stealths are mainly used for objective capturaing/holding. However. my stealths actually do well against alot of troops...hell, a 3+ save with decent weapons..give them all shield drones, deepstrike them in and that unit has some real survivability and provided you start from the very far left (or right) of the board, they can just sweep along, killing guard with relative ease lol.

Just my two cents (and it should be noted, I have only played Tau several times, so I just may be lucky with teh few games I've had lol).

Cheers,
    Scott
    I like my women how I like my coffee! In a plastic cup! - Eddie Izzard

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well my oppenents fear my stealths.

they always end up right at the front causing havok and hindering everything in site from turn 1 by using infiltrate.

against a 5 man MEQ squad its not unusual for them to take down 3 or 4 and reduce them to non scoring. 18 shots decent strength at BS4 (with TA) will get you ALOT of wounds. I even use them to take down termies and 'Fex's in emergencies.

against guard, nids and eldar they can really shine.

use your jump shoot jump move to jump from behind cover to around 16 inches away from your target open up then jump back behind cover. if you use cover well they will remain pretty much untouched for 3 or 4 turns. your enemy will concentrate fire on them and leave alot of other stuff untouched. and when you add in your stealth feild, they can really mess up enemy units which fail the "to spot" roll causing them to spend more resources on them than they really need too.

I always use a full 6 man team and stick a Tragetting array on them. they costs alot of points (about 240 or so) but they more than make their points back in my opinion, although not always in sheer points but in harresment and division of the enemies resources.

All in all one of my favourite and most effective units.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, we're just using them for different stuff. I always use them very aggressively, which is probably not their best use, but I still like their offensive ability. Most of the games I play aren't objective-based, so that would be why.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I always find stealth suits useful. If you have the points, give them all Targeting Arrays and they will wreak havok assuming you prevent them from being shot at. When I shoot, they usually mow down 1/2 - 3/4 of a Marine squad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    443 (x8)

What? Stealth Suits against Guardsmen and you were too afraid to get close? Onlainari, you seriously underestimate your suits.

You're worried about a 24" single shot lasgun salvo? Dude, Stealth teams are pure beefcake against IG troops. Heck, I would've even charged them, if given a good opportunity. Mowin' them down to the last few guys, then charging the remnants (if they don't run) is not only effective, but extremely fun.

Yes, Stealths are good at hiding, its implied in their name. But combine Infiltrating with the JSJ philosophy, and you've got a very effective, very aggressive unit.
    "It takes a vast amount of self control to be this dangerous."
    ---Ogvai Ogvai Helmshrot, Jarl of Tra, VI Legion Astartes

The ORIGINAL Sniper Puss eiglepulper's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    596 (x8)

...not to mention a very resilient - albeit a tad expensive - Markerlight unit. Set 'em up at maximum ML range, have them light up the enemy and watch the frustration of the opponent as he fails continually to roll double 6 to see them!

Plus, as Oni said, they can be used to hold the table quarter/objective at the same time.

As for "aggressive" - yes indeed, but I think this needs to be tempered by a bit of common sense, ie know when *not* to do it! I have recently been constructing a 10k force which involves 2-3 Stealth Fusion units, so they are going to have to be aggressively used since they have to be in the opponent's face in order to get the best from the Fusion. DS'ing the unit or Infiltrating it will be the mode d'emploi there.

E.
    "Tau Commandment #226: Participants who use Velocity Trackers in the Tau Clay Pigeon Tournament will be disqualified"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast