Advice appreciated - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Advice appreciated

Well, I have bought 2 packs of 'cron warriors and a Lord, so I have:
    24 warriors
    6 scarab swarms
    1 Lord

(I could not get the starter pack before because of ironic/comical money issues...) But my grandfather just gave me $100, and I'm wanting to field a 1000-1500 point army (not right away, obviously), so what should I buy that will retain a balanced army? I'm thinking of buying 1 Heavy Destroyer, 2 Destroyers, and the rest for immortals... (mind you I'm shopping at a bunker... the factory is across the street XD ... so everything is about $5-10 cheaper...)

Any words-o-wisdom?

So... if I gave some daemons a matte paint-job, would they be "Matte Daemons?"
    Necron Tactica: Flying Circus

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You need a codex. Most important item for playing is the codex besides the rulebook. If you had read the codex, you would realise that you need 3 Destroyers for a squad so essentially you should buy 3.

I would not use a heavy destroyer. Too many points for such a weak unit that is essentially a bullet magnet with your opponent trying to get it first. I would buy another squad of 3 destroyers for a 1500pt army if you can afford them, as they aren't too bad at destroying vehicles.

Immortals are good but you should combine them a foot lord with the staff of light and the veil of darkness so you can deep strike all over the map. You'll probably need 8 at minimum before they prove their worth. A full squad of 10 is of course a much better option.

I reckon you should get 3 destroyers as a must. Getting 10 immortals can be costly and frankly, I don't think you have enough (But I assume that you have US$100...I don't know what you can get with that since I'm in Australia). If you do have enough, 6 immortals on top of the destroyers will get you close to 1000pts. Oh and don't forget to get the codex and rulebook if you don't own them. The Necron codex has lots of rules that only apply to Necrons.
    Last edited by tukchen; March 3rd, 2008 at 06:26.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oops, forgot to say i have both codex and rulebook...

But yeah, I'll get 3 Destroyers and work from there... I THINK 1 Destroyer is $20...

Thanks for the Destroyer advice, I really wasn't sure whether I should get Heavy or not... but what to do with my remaining $30-40?... It'd be about 3 immortals (Dam taxes...) or 2 (?) wraiths, or another Lord ($15), or 6 Flayed ones (packs of 2 for $10)... so many good choices >.<

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As before mentioned definitely pick up some more destroyers, they are argueably our best overall unit. They're fast, fairly hard-hitting and tough. Immortals are really tough as well teamed up with their assault weapons....8Y Personally I'd pick up a destroyer lord, maybe a unit of wraiths to go along with it for an added punch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sogster View Post
    As before mentioned definitely pick up some more destroyers, they are argueably our best overall unit. They're fast, fairly hard-hitting and tough. Immortals are really tough as well teamed up with their assault weapons....8Y Personally I'd pick up a destroyer lord, maybe a unit of wraiths to go along with it for an added punch.
    Yes, but that would mean sacrificing the long-range power of the destroyers b/c wraiths are expensive...

And the way you said "we" made me feel all fuzzy inside
    Last edited by cooliox; March 3rd, 2008 at 06:41.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hate to say this, but it seems that $100 will not get you enough guys to make a 1000pt army. You could just buy 3 destroyers and save the money for buying other models later. With 3 destroyers, you will have enough to play 800pt games.

Also, how much is the Necron battleforce? It's really worthwhile in Australia, saving you enough money to buy another destroyer. I know you will get a LOT of warriors, but it might be useful in the future to have a fair amount of warriors. I normally place 30-36 warriors in my army mainly because I like to have my list ready for tournies (we play using the 1 more troop than any other unit classification rule).

Also, your signature is technically incorrect fluff wise as Necrons do not speak at all...with the exceptions of Pariahs. Just wanted to point that out.
    Last edited by tukchen; March 3rd, 2008 at 06:54.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    324 (x8)

Ya could always fork out enough to get a full 5 destroyers.
    OR you could look into a C'tan (no a good choice until 1500pt games but hey, just things you are capable of buying)

I always like to infiltrate some flayed ones in myself, they're reasonably cost effective in groups of 4-6. Sneak them into a squad of something with lots of big guns that want to hurt you, but are bad in combat, (IG heavy weapons, tau anything, dark reapers, snipers, devastators...) Or keep them back behind your warriors to counterassault.

Ok I've decided what you are doing for you (well..not seriously but it's an idea)

Buy 4 destroyers, and 4 flayed ones.

Army as follows...It has some good shooting and some CC units so you get a feel for everything (I dunno how new to 40K you are so just fly with it)

Lord (with 100pts wargear, play around with the wargear until you find what you like)
    X4 Flayed ones
    X24 Warriors
    X4 Destroyers
    X6 scarabs (w/d-fields)
    Points 994
    PO: 8

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the advice alzar, I'm definitely going to get 3 destroyers, and the flayed ones would work, but I'm not a big fan of them...

(And the battlepack is $90)

And I realize that my sig is anti-fluff, but I heard a Necron player say it once, and I think it's pretty funny XD

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    55 (x4)

After Destroyers, I'd look to getting Immortals or Wraiths.
    And over there we have the labyrinth guards.
    One always lies, one always tells the truth, and one stabs people who ask tricky questions.
    http://xkcd.com/246

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    324 (x8)

This is very true, just consider how much you need another 28 warriors qnd 6 odd scarabs in your list. I never actually picked up a battleforce and don't put alot of stress on warriors. But hey, if you ever wanted to field 50 odd warriors you could then. A warrior/scarab heavy army could be interesting.

Hehehe ok new idea, you could take some of the extra warriors and modify them into immortals. I've seen it done before, even if it is a little awkward. That way you could try out some of the gauss blasters everyone's always raving about. ;Y

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast