effectiveness of Decoy Launchers - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

effectiveness of Decoy Launchers

I have only been playing tau for six months, and looking through other peoples' lists both at the game shops and on threads, i have to wonder why there is so many people that put decoy launchers upon their skimmers. sadly, i am very technical and i look at numbers and percentages a lot. According to the numbers upon a glancing hit, for if you got an immobilized on a penetrating, i would gladly take it, it is a 2 in 6 chance for you to get a destroyed or immobilized. With decoys, I read that if the opponate rolls a 5 or 6 again, it stands. thusly again a 2 in 6 chance. With the re-roll, it is a 4 in 12 chance. Both come out to be a 1 in 3 chance of a vehicle being destroyed or immobilized, destroyed in either case for piranhas. Now am i missing something in the rules or in some equation that i do not know about, please let me know if i have my numbers wrong.

Paintballert

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    299 (x7)

Ok lets not look at the math because that makes some people's heads hurt. Lets just convert it into numbers people deal with everyday.

Without decoys, a glanced hammerhead has a 33.33% chance of being blown up.

With decoys, a glanced hammerhead has a 22.22% chance of being blown up.

Basically, that's why people take them.
    Quote Originally Posted by rikimaru View Post
    You have the option for instance of infiltrating, outflanking, pillboxing, or anti assault.

And that's just with the Kroot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol, i can understand the head hurting factor. I just do not see it percentage wise, 4 in 12 is still 33.33%

go get 22.22%, you have to take the 33.33% of 33.33%, but that is a roll off of an other roll, not a re-roll like it says in the codex. Damn, i hate being analytical on this, but i am just trying to figure it out.

am i understanding this right? decoy launchers get a roll from the first one, kind of like roll to hit and then roll to wound from the ones that hit? or it a re-roll, a redo of the same roll providing the same percentages?

paintballert?

(damn, my head is hurting.....)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    299 (x7)

The math is 1/6 + 1/6 * 1/3

Which means a six, or a five followed by a five or six.
    You have the option for instance of infiltrating, outflanking, pillboxing, or anti assault.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok, now i feel like a moron. your saying that it is a 33.33% for a, lets say piranha for they get destroyed on a immobilization roll, piranha to get destroyed from a hit. this makes a 1/6 chance for a re-roll to be able to get the 1-4 instead of the 5 or 6. this is 1/3

that creates the the slightly lower percentage of destruction for your skimmer.

thusly, a good idea to have a piranhas, but not greatly needed do to landing hear upon the larger Hammerheads and Devilfish

thanks, i feel like an idiot, but i understand that they do help out slightly for the few extra points they cost

paintballert

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

299 (x7)

There are seven things you need to know right now, otherwise you will be not playing by the rules, and someone will point them out to you in the future at an inconvenient time.

1. Piranhas are open topped. This means that you add 1 to the roll. So a roll of a 4 is immobilized, while a roll of a 5 or 6 is destroyed.

This means the chance to destroy a piranha without decoys is 50%, while with decoys it's 41.67%.

2. Landing gear does not change any result on the damage table. If a skimmer that has moved fast is immobilized, it is destroyed. You can only use landing gear during the movement phase if you don't move your skimmer. The skimmer counts as grounded and blocks LOS, nothing else happens (so you automatically hit it in combat).

3, 4, 5, 6, 7. There are 5 other rules that are unfortunately likely to be told to you at an inconvenient time. I do not know exactly what these rules are. The only way to avoid this happening is to browse forums such a Librarium Online, and in particular dakkadakka, in order to know your rules well.
    Last edited by onlainari; March 6th, 2008 at 08:58.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wow, well once again my inexperience has hit me in my face....

i will look these things up, thank you for bringing them for my attention, as well as others for i can guarantee that there are quite a few people that dont know about the landing gear thing.

Thanks again

Paintballert
    Last edited by paintballert; March 6th, 2008 at 16:13.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you always want your skimmers to be moving over 6" so they get the moving fast rule.

once you move over 6" if you get an immobilized (sp) result you crash....unless your eldar that is.

thats why you want to take decoy launchers. it basically gives you another chance for your hammerhead or devilfish to survive. its pretty cheap considering it can save your 170 odd point tank from destrcution!

but yeah reread the vehicles damage rules then reread the codex equipment section mate.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok, that probably explains it. Where i play has got to be the eldar capital of the world. nearly half the games i have played have been against eldar. With that, i didnt know the rule, and they probably figured that Tau have a similar capability due to the high technology factor

well now i understand and i will definitely play my skimmers differently now

thanks guys for the help

Paintballert

+ Reply to Thread