My three wave serpents (need advice) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My three wave serpents (need advice)

So I have 3 wave serpents to assemble. I'm trying to decide which weapons to put on them. I don't have an army list set in stone. I prefer to have the versatility to make many lists from my collection.
    So my question is, what combination of equipped twin-linked main weapons would you recommend I choose for my 3 serpents considering I'll be changing my army list frequently?

My initial inclination was to go with 1. bright lance, 2. missile launcher, 3. scatter laser.
    All 3 with underslug shuriken cannon.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    476 (x8)

I'd say bright lance and scatter lasers, but it depends on the rest of your army, and what they're transporting.

If you're bring fire dragons or wraithguard along, the bright lance isn't that necessary and the Scatter laser is a better choice. Equally, using dire avengers is likely to mean your army needs a bit more AT support.

I'm not a big fan of EMLs, you're looking at a single template or an AT shot which isn't quite as good (or anti-terminator) as the bright lance.

Having an army and not owning a rulebook is like owning a car with no steering wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by amishcellphone
    <3 rork. He does all the arguing so I don't have to.

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

Personally, the Wave Serpent is one of the best Bright Lance platforms you've got. Twin-linked makes it more accurate than BS4, and it's hard to take down. A reliable anti-tank weapon if you ask me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with Nemesis on this one. But I do also agree wiht the Fire Dragons you should take Scatter Lasers lol.

Cheers,
    Scott
    I like my women how I like my coffee! In a plastic cup! - Eddie Izzard

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by scooter_booter88 View Post
    I agree with Nemesis on this one. But I do also agree wiht the Fire Dragons you should take Scatter Lasers lol.

Cheers,
    Scott
    Honestly if you are looking at frequently changing your lists then you should be modeling magnetics into your models to change then whenever you want.

That being said, if you dont have a BL on a WL then you should be going that route for sure, if you do then it may or may not be necessary. The scatter lasers are one of our best choices at the moment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

It's hard to manage to design a list with too much anti-tank potential. Mechanized is becoming increasingly popular, as it's one of the most competitive ways to win in 4th edition, so having the extra anti-tank definitely won't hurt. Most of the rest of your army, typically, is best suited for anti-infantry anyway (most aspects, Guardians, War Walkers, Vypers, etc.).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

agree with nemmy, the serpent makes an excelent AT platform, it is also quite important as generally a mech eldar army will be tight on points, the transported units will be mainly Aspect warriors who excel at killing infantry, hence finding an AT ability in the army is difficult without reducing your quote of serpent/aspect units. Bright lances, and as a secondary option, EML, make excelent tank hunters.

That said, once you have sufficient AT, I think scatter laser/shuriken cannon are the next default, the cannon becomes more viable on the serpent as it will generally be dropping off infantry within 24 inches, hence the cannons lower range is less of a problem and its one less shot is in many cases negated by its cheapr price and better AP

There is an arguement for star cannon, but only if you are facing 2+ saves
    Everything you have been told is a lie!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Doesn't everybody fight obnoxious numbers of Terminators and other 2+ save units?

Nothing gives a guy taking 10 Termies as much frustration as a squad of banshees backed up by a Twinlinked Starcannon. And riding in in a platform that cannot be penetrated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am truly suprised that I'm the only one who equips theirs with Shuriken Cannon and Twin linked Shuriken Cannon.

Isn't the eldar model count low enough already without blowing even more points on shiny big guns? The weight of fire provided by Shuriken cannon is often enough to outdo the other more expensive weapons and keeps the cost of the transport around the 120 points mark.

Wave serpents are also sufficiently fast that they will often manage a shot on the rear armour of opposing tanks, thus making them acceptable tank hunters should you be so inclined in addition to their obvious anti-personnel role.

I like spoons.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Seth-Ra the Everliving View Post
    Wave serpents are also sufficiently fast that they will often manage a shot on the rear armour of opposing tanks, thus making them acceptable tank hunters should you be so inclined in addition to their obvious anti-personnel role.
    Your opponents let you do that? Playing with Mech Tau sometimes, I would never, ever expose my rear armor to a high strength weapon, unless I absolutely had to. A brightlance is just so much more effective of a tank killer (especially non-Monolith AV14, and AV14 all around... how does a Shuriken Cannon do against that?) and the fact that it is twinlinked and on a nigh unstoppable skimmer just makes it all the more pleasing for me.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast