Advice On Killing Necrons...please? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unfortunately for me one of my friends and usual opponents has acquired a Nightbringer for his ever-growing Necron army, which has prompted this post. Put simply, are there any effective ways of dealing with Necrons and the Nightbringer when playing Tau? I've already tried the traditional Tau tactic of throwing everything at them save the kitchen sink ...and yet they still come!

...help....

"...But know this: We are the Tau, emissaries of the Greater Good, and we will not rest until we see this galaxy brought into the freedom of the Tau'va.

Our day will come. And it is coming soon."

~ attr. Shas'o Fal'shia Kauyon Yr Nan

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know the Nightbringer that well, and I've only rarely played against Necrons (none of my regular opponents plays them), but here's what I tried (and it seemed to work - but then as I said, I don't know the Nightbringer).

One thing about Necrons is that the common Tau strategy of 'throw a h*ll of a lot of bullets at them and eventually they'll go down' doesn't always work...

Thus, when I wind up playing Necrons, I tend to adopt the 'get a few squads of Fire Warriors to be unfriendly to the Lord carrying the Res Orb and use massed crisis suits and broadsides on the others' tactic.

Yes, the Tau get less shots, yes, its more than a little overkill firing a twinlinked railgun at a Necron Warrior - but at least the irritating things STAY DOWN .

Try to aim your fire to cut units off from the main mass, then pour your Stealth Suits' and Fire Warriors' fire at the isolated units (ideally taking the whole lot down, with them more than 6" inches away from a standing model). If the strategy works, it should result in both flanks of the Necron force being sliced apart... and a large mass of Necrons in the centre nearing your lines, hopefully with a dead Lord.

This is the part where you rapid fire your fire warriors, fire templated Hammerhead shots, and basicly pump pure firepower into their front lines, and do your best to get them past the 75% phase-out point before they hit your lines. If they *do* hit your lines, make sure your fire warriors are in the lead, and scatter your suits... and then open up on them the moment they get free of your warriors.

As a note, sometimes its worth letting a lone survivor of a Warrior Squad catch your Stealth Suits, as with their 2 attacks each and portable-cover effect, they stand a fair chance of killing him and moving on the next turn - particularly if the Necron player hasn't heard about this rule - as mine haven't most of the time

For the Greater Good!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How about broadsides with plas. rifles? They'd do some good chopping.

Oh, and you might want to try throwing the kitchen sink just incase.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A little calculation i have done, being an a-level stastics student...

On average, it takes 24 pulse rifle shots to cause 1 wound on a nightbringer.

Take 36 fire warriora and jjust blast it. 3 wounds every 2 turns and it goes down in 2 turns (probably more as you will suffer casualtes, say 3 turns. It's in rapid fire distance on turn 3, so it'll die then). And 36 fire warriors cost 360 points. So does the nightbringer. And after they kill the nightbringer then you can just blast any warrior squads stupid enough to come in like of sight. Oh yeah, kill the tomb spyders and wraiths as quickly as possible with your crisis suits as they can cause lethal damage very quickly. After the ctan is down, the main thrust of the army dies (normally a necron player relies too much on this, espically in 1500 points or less, it's too expensive for armies this big) and if it doesn't then concentrate plasma rifle fire on one squad until it goes down totally, then move on to the next. With the gauss flayer rule i find tanks go down too quickly, so i prefer the broardsides. And the railguns can seriously piss off necron lords who expect to get the "we'll be back" roll from everything.

Oh yeah, necrons aren't too good in close combat (too slow & not enough of them) so the only thing you need to worry about is the wraiths, maybe the flayed ones, but if he has a ctan as well as there elite troops then you should be get him to phase out on turn 2 cause he will only have 20 warriors.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I recomond that you destroy warriors and smaller squads of a single unit type, like 3 destroyers, as to deny wbb rolls, and relentlsly destroy there warriors, as they should have a reasonlble size of warriors to prevent phase out. If the lord uses veil of darkness to land near you, fire everything that turn at him, hopefully elimnating him and what ever he trys to take with him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Throw the ion cannon on the hammerhead. That should thin out their ranks a bit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Indeed, thanks for the suggestions, and I have managed to gain his full army list plus mine.

NECRONS

Nightbringer

Necron Lord w/ WarScythe, Resurrection Orb and Phylactery

30 Warriors w/ Disruption Fields

5 Scarab Bases w/ Disruption Fields

3 Destroyers

vs, and don't laugh:

TAU

Aun'shi

[Shas'o w/ Fusion Blaster, Plasma Rifle & Missile Pod, + hard wired Multi-Tracker, Drone Controller and Blacksun Filter, and a Shield Drone.

1 Bodyguard w/ Plasma Rifle, Flamer & Multi Tracker, + Hard wired Target Lock, BONDED]

[11 Fire Warriors +Shas'ui w/ Pulse Rifles, Photon Grenades & EMP Grenades. Shas'ui has hard-wired Drone Controller + 2 Gun Drones, BONDED] x2

[4 Stealth Suits + Shas'vre w/ Markerlight & Hard-wired Blacksun Filter, BONDED]

[4 unit Gun Drone Squadron]

[Broadside Shas'vre w/ Smart Missile System, Shield Generator + Hard-wired Blacksun Filter, BONDED]
    "...But know this: We are the Tau, emissaries of the Greater Good, and we will not rest until we see this galaxy brought into the freedom of the Tau'va.

Our day will come. And it is coming soon."

~ attr. Shas'o Fal'shia Kauyon Yr Nan

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok I don't play Tau myself but I used be sort of an "advisor for a friend of mine...
    He got tired of Tau and started the Necrons...
    The big str. weapons are essential...
    But also think about the Necron phase out rule...

If their total number of models in play goes under a sertain percentage of the starting number the army phases out... and you win...

Other than that I'd say the number of guns brought to bear will have a significant word into the outcome...
    check out my blog: DRAGONSLAYERO

HEY!
    I WAS IN THE IMPERIAL (Norwegian) GUARD!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You should try to maximize the number of models on the table. Just spam the hell out of them until half are gone.

I'd scrap aun'shi (although he is a pretty sweet model) and throw some more battlesuits in there. I'd say that even with aun'shi, Tau are pretty screwed against the necrons in cc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

25% remaining. So a 1500 pt. force with two Monoliths and a Deceiver, total 770 pts right there, is at a huge diadvantage. Ignore them and you basically have twice the points of his army and you only have to kill 3/4 of it to win. Just avoid the slow-moving C'tan and Monoliths.
    Si em, tow en can de lach.
    Tak! Tak! Tak ah wan, Tak a lah!
    Mi tow, can de lach.
    Mi him, en tow.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast