Endless Swarm, Upgrade or No? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    31 (x1)

Endless Swarm, Upgrade or No?

So I'll be using the Endless Swarm in my next Apocalypse game (only 40+ more models to biuld! and then paint them all... /sigh) and I'm looking at upgrade combinations. I'll be using 20 man strong squad, 3 Term, 3 Horm squads. Each Term will be armed with a different weapon type; Devourer, Spine Fists and Flesh Borers just to keep things different (although I can't remember if all of them have to have the same biomorphs or not).

But I'm not sure what to do beyond that. I think the formation + models costs well over 1500pts. Is it worth going for max upgrades? That would make each model about an extra 50% more expensive. Or should those points be better spent on Monsterous creatures?

I'm leaning toward no upgrades at first since they are basically shooting soakers and I can be recycled endlessly (one of the reasons I'm keeping the units at 20models) but not sure if something really needs to be taken. Any thoughts?

You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    70 (x1)

i'd say keep your gaunts with spinefists and fleshborers. devourers are useless for their points on gaunts. Also, gaunts should almost never have upgrades as the models are supposed to be dirt cheap. give the hormagaunts either +1 I or +1 WS. +1 str is nice if you want. save the points for the big guys.

Charitably Tables People MVBrandt's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    196 (x5)

Plus S on Hormagaunts so that they can hurt rear armor of the many, many tanks present in apocalypse games.

I actually don't like the Endless Swarm ... I think mathwise it costs like a MINIMUM of over 1,000 points, with no upgrades, and just escalates from there.
    Nids & Guard
    GMail = MVBrandt

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    156 (x3)

I'm also thinking that your gaunts will die in droves. So spending the extra points on upgrading them may be a waste.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

196 (x5)

Well it is pretty easy in Apoc just to blast giant holes in each squad, then leave one or two of each squad alone so they can't reinforce.

The alternative is to select Hold At All Costs as the stratagem and totally nuke up the cost of each gaunt squad, and use them to hold objectives. Forces opponents to kill each gaunt to get 'em off objectives, and then wham-o they're right back on again.
    Nids & Guard
    GMail = MVBrandt

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    31 (x1)

I considered the +1 I to Horms, but then realized I'm backing them up mainly with Zoas with Catalyst, so it's kind of a moot point. But point certainly taken on the +1 to S. Hadn't really considered them to be tank busters. I still think it should be fun, while again the swarm will be over 1500pts, that's 1500pts I'll never lose and always have on the table, not to bad of a thought.
    You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

196 (x5)

They won't be very good tank busters still. The point is ithat there are a lot of armor 10 vehicles (at some point in their armor) in Apocalypse games ... ranging from predators to tau vehicles to all manner of skimmer and rhino type vehicles to whatever. If you don't give them +S, they can ignore them. Hell, a smart Imperial Guard player could send a single cheap sentinel into each squad and permanently tie them up. Heh ... the swarms are big enough you wouldn't be able to get anyone else into combat to help out.
    Nids & Guard
    GMail = MVBrandt

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    48 (x2)

A lot of vehicles have rear armor 10, which will make them vulnerable.

I say stick with Gaunts with spinefists and fleshborers and convert the hormagaunts to use as Gargoyles, which are much, much better than hormies, even for the price.
    "Tell me what you cherish most. Give me the pleasure of taking it away." Sephiroth, Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

196 (x5)

Yeah gaunts w/ toxin sacs and fleshborers, easily affordable in apoc, have S5 assault shots that CAN penetrate, and S4 close combat attacks. Light vehicle murder.
    Nids & Guard
    GMail = MVBrandt

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

189 (x8)

I'd only consider given devilgaunts a toxinsacs so they fire with Str3, otherwise leave the gaunts as cheap as possible, they only purpose is to tie up other units and the more you have the better.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast