3 Talos Too Many? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

3 Talos Too Many?

I have been thinking about using 3 talos in my 2000 point list for some time now, and I was curious if that would be considered cheesy. While I like to win, i like to do so without a powergaming list, because its just not as fun. Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

nah, I don't think it's cheesy. It depends on what you're playing against though. They wouldn't be very effective against an ork army. My talos will get in close combat and kill a bunch of them but then the nob owns it with it's power claw. I can only take out so many. Personally, I like to take at least one ravager especially against MEQ armies.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    54 (x2)

I use 3 all the time, also use 3 ravagers all the time too.;Y
    compare our heavies with other armies, ours are no where as good and talos should be an elite, i don't see a str 8+ gun on it..
    i usually go for 3 talos WWP action, man it's cool, you should see your opponents face when when they come out.8X
    If you're always worried about crushing the ants beneath you...you won't be able to walk.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    225 (x6)

When I play "Coven" lists (33% of the time) I play 3 Talos. I really haven't had any serious "back lash" to the presence of 3 monstrous creatures in my list but usually I can ask if they would rather see 3 ravager gunships with blast templates then they tend to relax. The first time an opponent sees or hears of a Talos, they tend to "freak" so beware.

What I tend to push with using 3 Taloi is the "theme" of using them - explaning that there are no wyches or wych type units the Taloi really become your only real competitive CC unit (especially when you only have Haemoculi with posion blades as lords). Not sure what your composition of your list would be but if you have an idea please feel free to let us see it.

Also, I only use them in a WWP list. The portal would be placed by Haemoculi in Grotesque squads near the objective and then the Taloi pop out (like a Trap-door spider) and engage anything with legs. I try not to go after armor with them but if you have to then try to put at least 2 Taloi on it as they can be VERY unpredictable going solo.

Never tried them starting on the board so I really do not know what would happen. I imagine they would get shot at exclusively for the first 3 turns as they float slowly up the board.

Do I think they are cheesy? Not at all but thats because I know what the Talos can and cannot do.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    434 (x8)

I suppose what your definition of "cheese" really is, I had never heard the term before this forum and I would class it the same as an army composition that has duplicate and identical units.

Three of any identical unit really is going to get you marked down in a tournament for the showing no imagination, diversifaction and usually just concentrating on what is a power gamers list.

But herein lies the difference when looking at the Talos, they are not overpowering in themselves, they are not considered the absolute best unit in the heavy slot and they are unusual enough to be an oddity even when several are fielded together - lets just call them a kind of squadron.

Dark Eldar have such a small choice of units that doubling up is very hard NOT to do and as Kwi said, would they rather you go for a harder hitting choice?

If GW gave us a broader selection of unit choices then and only then would I even think about any accusations of "cheese" sticking to you.

Witness the self imposed restrictions in a Wych Cult, is that cheese? Going by some tournament directors yes, but by GW's own rules, no.

Your Archon can go forward with a clear concious when selecting 3 trapdoor spiders in your list!

Cheers.
    In a controversy the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x2)

Taloi are pretty easily outclassed by standard units in most armies:
    Vet Sgt w Powerfist
    Nob w PowerKlaw
    Wraithlord
    Many of the Autarchs
    Necron basic gun, Tau and Eldar proliferation of S6 weapons, IG Tanks/Las
    Tyranid stealers or Tyrant or Fex
    Ork Buggies (if you dare assault them they blow up in your face and you take a wound, OK maybe that's just me)

They're not cheesy but like dissie says you may have to help put things in perspective for your opponent.
    War Record Since Sept 2005
    Old Codex 48-20-9 Dark Eldar
    New Codex 1-0-0 Dark Eldar

Slaaneshi Battle Barge CO
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    127 (x5)

Three Taloi is by no means cheesy.. in most cases, they're less effective than three Ravagers would be... and that's not cheesy, either.

The way I look at it, if I can keep my mouth shut and not call "Cheese!" on the Speed Freek player who had 14 Heavy Bolters (Big Shootas, right?) on one vehicle at 5-10 points per, then no one should be calling cheese on me for maxing HS slots at 1500 pts, or even 1000.
    "Is Archon Braigh-Dee going to have to choke a Wych?

Courtesy of Wicky: D.C.S.S.E.P.C.I.C.B.

Born from Tears of Angels WraithGuardian's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    105 (x5)

First to answer your quetion, the use of 3 taloses can only be effective when certain conditions are met. You need to be playing on a small board, or usng a WWP. Either way, lacking a ravager to support the WWP carriers or snipe targets is a very big disadvantage. Deploying 3 taloses on the board might draw some fire from newby players, but more experienced players wont waste a shot knowing that at their pace they will never reach their line on time to do any real damage or cause too much surprise when they hit.

Also, in city fight 3 taloses can be quite effective since generaly CC dominates shooting when you have so much terrain as in city fight missions. In a few words to summarize, the tri talos strategy can only be effective in some specific cases, to know if they apply, you really need to know your opponent before you play him.

I really hate the word "cheese" when it comes to any kind of 40k gaming. What is "cheesy" nowadays? 3 ravagers, 3 hammerheads, a swarm of 200+ weasels with FoC or 15 ACs in a 1.5k game, a brand new released codex? Common guys lets face it, if one is using a competitive(not cheesy) list during a normal game it probably wont scare any people into never playing this person again.

In fact, people should be thankful for having a chance to face such a list during an everyday game. This way, by the time games day comes around, seeing an identical list with 15 ACs, 3 hammerheads or 8 nid MCs wont be a surprise, and the player iwll have enough expertiese to know how to counter it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i'm not new to 40k but new to DE. I was wondering why the Talos, being a skimmer, cannot move more than 6". If it moves at standard rates then it can move up to 12". Can someone enlighten me here. I would have thought the talos could skim up to 12" then assault 6".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

Off Topic:

Quote Originally Posted by wickywacky1 View Post
    I suppose what your definition of "cheese" really is, I had never heard the term before this forum...
    The term has been used for quite a while in other places besides here. I'm not sure where it originated but I've seen it in the Magic The Gathering and Dungeons and Dragons community for years.

On Topic:

Honestly, there is nothing wrong (good or bad) with running 3 talos. I personally would never do it because I had a hell of a time putting just one together -_-

Quote Originally Posted by Fist of Vengeful Humanity View Post
    i'm not new to 40k but new to DE. I was wondering why the Talos, being a skimmer, cannot move more than 6". If it moves at standard rates then it can move up to 12". Can someone enlighten me here. I would have thought the talos could skim up to 12" then assault 6".
    Quite simple: Its not a vehicle. Vehicles with the Skimmer type can move 12", as can Jetbikes which "skim" over the surface. However, the Talos "Skimmer" ability has no relation to the vehicle type of the same name. Just like the Grotesque ability "Feel no Pain" has no relation to the one in the BGB.
    /WHAO/TH-/HEL/DAO/KWRAO/TH*EUPBG/KWR-/PH-/STPH
    /TP-/KWRAO/K-/RAOED/THEUS/THEPB/WAOE/SH-D/KHAT/SPHAOEUPL

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast