Harvesting the leggomen - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Harvesting the leggomen

I'm about to play a 2000pt friendly against the Tau and have no idea what they are about other than the fact they are quite shooty based and have relatively poor init and weapon skill. Hers a list I've come up with any advice would be appreciated.

Warriors x 10
    Warriors x 10
    Warriors x 10
    Warriors x 10
    Warriors x 10
    Destroyers x 4
    Destroyers x 4
    Scarabs x 7w dfields
    Immortals x 10
    Necron Lord/vod
    Destroyer Lord/warsythe
    Phase out-17

The idea is to march the warriors within rapid fire range,maybe leave a single unit back to prevent phase out. The destroyers can zip ahead and expose more vulnerable units. I'm planning to keep the destroyers grouped together for better survivability. Scarabs and destroyer lord hoprfully can tank hunt. Immortals and vodlord can blip around and expose other units as well. As I said before any advice would be great as there could be obvious flaws in my troop choices and plans. Cheers8Y

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

King of Librarium's Tombs Phoenix's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    579 (x8)

Get a Lith in there, ive never been beaten by tau when ive used mine against them. Just make sure you have you Scarabs and Wraith tie up any Broadsides in turn 1 before the Lith DS's. Also concentrate fire on and Railheads. After that, the Lith should dominate.

Careful with the VoD Lord, id loose him all together tbh.

The D Lord, drop his Scythe, few tau have Inv Saves.

Also Tau are the one army you really dont need ResOrbs against, so well done on not taking one

Dfields on Scarabs are a waste, their tanks are all skimmers... meaning youll be looking for 3 6's in a row. Let your guns do the work.

Imms and Destroyers are good, Warriors not so much. Too easily outranged by Tau. Drop some of them for the Lith, and 2 Heavy D's may be nice too, for the extra anti tank.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool thank s for the advice I'm just a little uneasy with the monolith. I've had my monolith destroyed almost every time I've used one(only twice). I haven't had that many games under my belt and I'm not sure if I've uesd my lith correctly. ;o

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    134 (x4)

Honestly, I say keep the list, maybe even dropping the DFs on the Scarabs.

- Scarabs rock the socks off Crisis Suits and Broadsides in CC.

- The Flying Circus will give the Tau something to think about and make him watch his DZ (use it defensively untill the opportunity presents itself).

- The Destroyer squads will do well and basically everything you can take glance any precious skimmers that are brought to the fray.
    Karmoon: "well.. any kore = good kore" 12:35pm PST 23 May 2007

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    457 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by kore View Post
    Honestly, I say keep the list, maybe even dropping the DFs on the Scarabs.

- Scarabs rock the socks off Crisis Suits and Broadsides in CC.
    I second this. They won't kill anything, but in my very first game ever with my necrons, my opponent's super tooled-up crisis suit commander HQ was rendered useless from turns 2-5 because my little buggies occupied him. He got a couple shots off in turn 1 and a couple more in turn 6. Yes, he was still standing, but he might as well not have been there throughout most of the game.

I also agree that a lith is a VERY good idea. Broadsides and hammerheads are the only real threats (*mumble mumble* railguns *mumble* *curse* *mumble*), but with some fast-acting units clearing the way you shouldn't have any problems. If your opponent has both broadsides AND hammerheads, use scarabs as mentioned above to tie up the broadsides, and go after the hammerheads with your destroyers. With both of your 4-man squads in range, you get to take more than 20 shots. You'd have to do some pretty crappy dice rolling for your opponent to escape that.

No, this won't make the lith invincible, but knocking out those big threats are the key. After that, all your opponent can REALLY do is sweat. ;Y
    Mickey: "You're just making this up as you go along!"
    The Doctor: "Yuuuup. But I do it brilliantly!"

Check out my WIP thread here (Clicky!)

The rules (Clicky!) Read 'em, know 'em, love 'em.

Peace, through superior firepower.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
    Get a Lith in there, ive never been beaten by tau when ive used mine against them. Just make sure you have you Scarabs and Wraith tie up any Broadsides in turn 1 before the Lith DS's. Also concentrate fire on and Railheads. After that, the Lith should dominate.

Careful with the VoD Lord, id loose him all together tbh.

The D Lord, drop his Scythe, few tau have Inv Saves.

Also Tau are the one army you really dont need ResOrbs against, so well done on not taking one

Dfields on Scarabs are a waste, their tanks are all skimmers... meaning youll be looking for 3 6's in a row. Let your guns do the work.

Imms and Destroyers are good, Warriors not so much. Too easily outranged by Tau. Drop some of them for the Lith, and 2 Heavy D's may be nice too, for the extra anti tank.
    I'd second most of this. Think about what you want the DLord to do, as well. If you can get him on Broadsides, the warscythe helps negate any inv save shield drones. He should stomp them IF you can get him there. Definitely drop the df and take more scarabs. Try to max them out if possible. Watch out, though: the submunition round from the Hammerheads will slaughter them. I've had better luck with Wraiths instead of the scarabs for this reason. DLord and Wraiths will put a scare into anything and ought to get to those Broadsides or even any Stealth and Crisis suits in range. The key idea is that you DON'T want to try to take out his tanks in assault, so save those units for something else, or leave them home.

If you take the Veil, be careful about dropping immortals near any Mech infantry. You don't want two units of Firewarriors rapid firing them with those S5 guns. This is the reason I haven't tried the tactic.

If possible, Heavy Destroyers will both threaten tanks at range and keep his Crisis Suits under cover. Instakills 'em.

I also agree about the Monolith. I've always deep struck it to give my fast attacks a chance to get to those Broadsides. You don't want to take twin-linked railgun fire on the Lith when it appears. I'd drop warriors in order to fit it in. Once you start cycling warriors through that portal, he's in trouble.

The good news is that Tau don't have much besides Railguns that will deny WBB, and he won't want to waste those on troops. The Crisis Suits pack some mean plasma, but that's about it. They'll do a number on your Destroyers if you're in range, though. Oh, and watch out for his commander carrying an item that gives him the ability to jump out of combat. I thought I had one of those tied up with scarabs once, only to see him jump out and send a unit of Destroyers running with plasma the next turn.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    103 (x5)

Although I've never fought Tau (thank god) I know generally about they're units (one of my frequent eldar opponents used to play them) and for your list I would say too try and keep away from his fire warriors rapid fire range which will slaughter your warriors like never before. Id would say drop your warriors down to 30 to give some room for heavy losses to not hurt so bad, drop the VOD on the lord its too unpredictable and theres no need to get closer to these guys, I really love the 24' range on the Immortals. Drop the d-fields on the scarabs and max out the squad, bring the destroyer squads up to 5 each if you can, pick up a monolith, (maybe a tomb spyder aswell?) and if your not using anymore elite slots for Immortals bring along one or two small units of flayed ones to pull fire away from your bulk force. Just remember that as weird as it seems Tau will always be able to out-shoot you, use they're weakness (low WS and I) and generally fragile nature against them and against a army like this bring out a more than average amount of CC units cause CC against Tau = Safety.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    134 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by gauss_storm View Post
    Although I've never fought Tau (thank god) I know generally about they're units (one of my frequent eldar opponents used to play them) and for your list I would say too try and keep away from his fire warriors rapid fire range which will slaughter your warriors like never before. Id would say drop your warriors down to 30 to give some room for heavy losses to not hurt so bad, drop the VOD on the lord its too unpredictable and theres no need to get closer to these guys, I really love the 24' range on the Immortals. Drop the d-fields on the scarabs and max out the squad, bring the destroyer squads up to 5 each if you can, pick up a monolith, (maybe a tomb spyder aswell?) and if your not using anymore elite slots for Immortals bring along one or two small units of flayed ones to pull fire away from your bulk force. Just remember that as weird as it seems Tau will always be able to out-shoot you, use they're weakness (low WS and I) and generally fragile nature against them and against a army like this bring out a more than average amount of CC units cause CC against Tau = Safety.
    Really? My experience has been quite different against Tau. I leave the Monoliths at home and use the RF of my own troops to counter the Tau FWs. We have the more resilient troops and WBB. Tau fear being fired back upon. I play very agressively against Tau and it seems to throw them off balance. Having my squads pinned by DSing drone fire is the only real thing I fear. It sucks not being able to move or shoot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    103 (x5)

Well like I said my experience against Tau is limited to paper.... and come to think about it Tau really do look like Legomen.... that gives me a idea on how to make a fast and cheap Tau army, just a bunch of legomen and for the broadsides and tanks I would just glue a ball of men together in the general size of the model.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gauss_storm View Post
    for your list I would say too try and keep away from his fire warriors rapid fire range which will slaughter your warriors like never before.

Not so! They hit us on 4s and wound on 3s. We hit them on 3s ad wound on 3s. We get WBB. They don't. Advantage Necrons. The real risk is against Mech Tau, where he can move a couple of devil fish in, drop two squads of 12 behind them, and rapid fire a unit with 48 shots. I suppose it's also true that you don't want to wander into overlapping fields of fire for the same reason. In a straight up fire-fight, however, Necron Warriors should win.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast