Tomb Spyders, a overlooked choice. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    103 (x5)

Tomb Spyders, a overlooked choice.

Hello everyone, I can't sleep and I'm quite bored so I thought I would write a bit about the Tomb Spyder. Most Necron players seem a bit down on this unit especially in the competitive area. Here are my experiences on what a tomb spyder or two can add to your army.

First the cost, the tomb spyder is a cheap unit that is tough, and will help support your entire army for xx points.

Secondly is a spyder is a easy to fit within the FOC with our elites , FA and HQ constantly being filled with destroyers , scarabs , wraiths , immortals , lords , a average Necron players uses one of they're heavy supports slots for the Monolith. Perfect unused space this means no ultimatums between 'this' or 'that'.

The tomb spyder is generally seen by non necron players as a ignorable threat so it will rarely see fire coming its way. The spyder also is great for making your Necron formations more flexible rather than the tight block that you mostly see used, and will make your WWB's a heck of alot easier to get.

For example, my two units of destroyers both deploy within 8 inchs of the tomb spyder. Turn 1 comes by and one squad is entirely wiped out luckily the spyder can make those self repair roles possible while allows you to keep a more effective range between your units. (up to 24" apart)

This ability also allows different formations to be used apart from the Phalanx, such as if two spyders were used one each could be placed on either side of the board. This would be the central core to two pincer flank which allows you to put pressure on fast assault armies and does not have the normal problems seen in the phalanx, I.E. being easily broken by strategies such as flanking, consolidation sprees (Genestealers and khorne come to mind) The ability to use multiple effective tactics and formations is vital to a Necron player ability too surprise enemies who will expect to see the old 'Necron block of warriors'.

Lastly this idea occurred to me while I wanted to include wraiths into my list however wanted to still have the scarabs as a tar pit but I could not afford to give up my destroyers. The tomb spyder came to mind as essentially a xx point swarm squad. with toughness 6 (reduced to Toughness 3 with swarms) against armies such as DE, Eldar , Tau its possible to lock just the spyder into combat with the enemy units not being able to wound at all. Against others the 'artificer' ability can produce scarabs = extra scarab sqauds. Sure they're slow but its better than nothing. Also as soon as your spyder fails a d6 roll for scarabs do not make any other! It would be stupid to essentially kill you own unit. Since your spyder will generally go unoticed and underestimated it will be quite easy to lock into a target.

I hope my knowledge could be of use to anyone , and if you have anything to add, or comment about please do so since there are much much more experienced players on these boards than a 'newbie' like me.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmmm, I've yet to use either of the two Tomb Spyders which came with my eBay Necrons... but when I do I'll certainly take your info into consideration. It's always nice to pull something unexpected out of the bag, especially as Necrons, and I think Spyders would be a good change of pace.

Cheers mate!

King of Librarium's Tombs Phoenix's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    579 (x8)

I think its not an obvious first choice for lists, as its role is as a more subtle supportunit than an actual killing machine. I have to admit i do often overlook them, but in larger battles where im unsure as to where to put my final points, i do somtimes include one. Their limited movement means that although unable to advance and kill quickly, they are pretty good at gunline defense from deep strikers etc. An extra point of WS and BS on them would be nice, but apart from that (and the rubbish generic mixed armour rules which makes them T3 when you create scarabs) then they are good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    324 (x8)

I tend to field a TS around 1500 (well...I hardly ever play that many points these days) but find them to be a tad less effective. Then again mine have that horrible particle projector on them and I was using that instead of charging. My issue really is that EVERY time I roll to make a scarab base I roll a one, it's like clockwork, every time.

As far as the actual model/stats go I have no problem with Spyders, I find them a nice cheap hunk of machine that is somewhat difficult to kill, generally ignored and has some useful effects. An MC for TS points value is not something to scoff at (though I do believe they are the weakest MC in the game overall...) also the "buy 3 put them wherever you desire" is pretty nice too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

103 (x5)

Well I can't stress the fact enough is the tomb spyder will almost never kill anything. It is purely a support unit. Look at it this way, 2 destroyers cost 100 points, two tomb spyders are 110. Well the destroyers do get you 6 more shots off a turn, the tomb spyder will actually raise your effectiveness by the benifits it gives to your whole army. Not just filling out a destroyer squad a bit more. Essentially the Tomb spyder is jsut another piece of the necron force. What sometimes is failed to realize is that the necron army was designed to have every unit support each other something is missing when you leave out a TS. Although I would only use them them in 2k and above... MAYBE 1.5k. Although it still is'nt a good idea to go out and make a 'one of every type' army.
    Last edited by gauss_storm; March 23rd, 2008 at 23:10.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    55 (x4)

The road less travelled is less travelled for a very good reason.

They only come into play when your necrons are getting ripped to shreds and even then they're not that effective.
    And over there we have the labyrinth guards.
    One always lies, one always tells the truth, and one stabs people who ask tricky questions.
    http://xkcd.com/246

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is a tough one. In theory, I love Spyders. In the games in which I've brought one, they've killed a tank (rhinos twice, usually after unloading troops, a Chimera once) or Terminators. They make an underrated assault support choice, especially against MEQ units and those termies. The problem is that I almost always choose to take extra warriors instead. Given the choice of a TS or adding an extra warrior to three squads, I just can't bring myself to leave behind the warriors. I guess the problem is predictability: I KNOW I'll use those warriors, while the TS kind of hangs around and waits for something to happen. Someday I'll have to bring three and plant them between two units of warriors. That would force my opponent to think about how much he wants to get stuck in with the warriors when 12 high str. MC attacks will be coming his way.

I don't really like the scarab swarm option. That majority toughness rule hurts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Weaf View Post
    This is a tough one. In theory, I love Spyders. In the games in which I've brought one, they've killed a tank (rhinos twice, usually after unloading troops, a Chimera once) or Terminators. They make an underrated assault support choice, especially against MEQ units and those termies. The problem is that I almost always choose to take extra warriors instead. Given the choice of a TS or adding an extra warrior to three squads, I just can't bring myself to leave behind the warriors. I guess the problem is predictability: I KNOW I'll use those warriors, while the TS kind of hangs around and waits for something to happen. Someday I'll have to bring three and plant them between two units of warriors. That would force my opponent to think about how much he wants to get stuck in with the warriors when 12 high str. MC attacks will be coming his way.

I don't really like the scarab swarm option. That majority toughness rule hurts.
    I've thought about using a TS so that my immortals weren't the only ones near a res orb (and VoD)... but they cost a good bit of points that could be otherwise spent on another destroyer....

So... if I gave some daemons a matte paint-job, would they be "Matte Daemons?"
    Necron Tactica: Flying Circus

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

103 (x5)

Please, please everyone reading this thread keep in mind that I'm not stating that spyders will dominate the battle field at all times. Spyders were a unit that I for a while put down without ever fielding one labeling it as ineffective and a waste of points. They can be used effectively they are just a nice support unit. Sometimes a effective unit is not one that gets the most kills , or destroys the most vehicles.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    324 (x8)

TS don't give res orb coverage...

they make it so you can have a tad bit more flexibility with your army spacing, since the WBB coverage is counted wider, which I find to be rather important in many cases. having only one squad of say...destroyers or wraiths, a TS will give them the ability to get back up if they get wiped. (given it's close enough I find they don't keep up well)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast