Quick tankhammer question - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quick tankhammer question

Ok can tank hammers be used in close combat on units or can it only be used on veichles?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x2)

From my interpretation of the rules it can indeed be used in any close combat. Striking at initiative with insanely high strength. It is important to not that the enemy will still get a save against it though (which is a tad silly to me but hey.)

So short answer: Yes.
    Gargrimz Green Deff
    W:10 D:4 L:5

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    511 (x8)

Longer answer

Yes, they can be used in close combat, but they aren't particularly good at it. Unless you're fighting a monstrous creature, most units in close combat have a toughness of 3-4, and at most it'll be 5. If the strength of the weapon is 2 higher than their toughness, then they'll be wounded on a roll of 2+, and there isn't a way to improve the roll any more. So anything above a strength 6-7 in close combat is a waste in most cases (at most, it will just help kill models instantly, but even then you have to get through their save).

Tankhammers do help wound monstrous creatures, but most monstrous creatures have a save of 3+, and in many cases 2+. Denying them their armor save is a lot more important than wounding them slightly more often. If you really want to make the tankbustas effective in close combat, then give them a nob with a powerklaw and bosspole. I like to keep my tankbustas as shooty as possible, myself, and usually field 5-10 with no upgrades.

Yes, tankhammers better at assaulting vehicles than tankbustas with bombs, but you have to consider that the ones with rokkits also get to shoot the side of the vehicle, before assaulting it. I did the math, and in most cases, the tankhammers are only marginally more effective than rokkits/bombs against vehicles, and you have to give up all of your rokkit shots for the entire game to get them. A nob with a powerklaw would hit with a strength of a 9, and you wouldn't have to give up the rokkit.

With the 5th edition rules, where rokkits will no longer pen armor 14, you might get some use from a single tankhammer in the group, to help pen that land raider or monolith in the assault, but I still think a nob with a powerklaw would serve you better.
    Last edited by mynameisgrax; March 28th, 2008 at 19:54.
    "Any job worth doing, is worth doing with a powerklaw."
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru.../mynameisgrax/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    68 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by mynameisgrax View Post
    A nob with a powerklaw would hit with a strength of a 9, and you wouldn't have to give up the rokkit.
    Just an FYI a Tankbusta Nob replaces his Rokkit with the PK, so he cannot have both. Also note he does not benefit from have 2 CC weapons. Though his PK is cheaper than normal.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    511 (x8)

?

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeyclops View Post
    Just an FYI a Tankbusta Nob replaces his Rokkit with the PK, so he cannot have both. Also note he does not benefit from have 2 CC weapons. Though his PK is cheaper than normal.
    Really? I wasn't aware of that. Thanks for the heads up. Since the model of the tankbusta nob comes with a rokkit, I assumed he could take both. I guess I don't even consider taking a nob without a powerklaw anymore. That also explains why they're cheaper for tankbusta nobz than normal.

Anyway, I've never used a nob in a unit of tankbustas, so it luckily doesn't affect any of my past games. I'd still pay the extra points for a nob with a powerklaw, and probably also a bosspole, rather than take any tankhammers. It's only 25-30 points more, which makes it a bargain.

The fact the powerklaw doesn't count as having an extra close combat weapon (which is kind of stupid, why not give the nob a slugga as well and charge the full 25 points?) won't make much of a difference in 5th edition. From what I hear, no powerfists/powerklaws will give additional close combat attacks, so the tankbusta powerklaw will be a bargain.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    68 (x2)

Well I think the reason for the cheaper PK cost on the Tankbusta Nob is more due to it repalcing the Rokkit over not having the 2nd CC weapon. Afterall the general cost of Rokkits on boyz is the same as the difference between a normal PK and the Tankbusta PK.

That's 1 5th ed. rumor I had not heard yet, PKs/PFs not getting the 2 CC attack bonus

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

511 (x8)

True

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeyclops View Post
    Well I think the reason for the cheaper PK cost on the Tankbusta Nob is more due to it repalcing the Rokkit over not having the 2nd CC weapon. Afterall the general cost of Rokkits on boyz is the same as the difference between a normal PK and the Tankbusta PK.

That's 1 5th ed. rumor I had not heard yet, PKs/PFs not getting the 2 CC attack bonus
    Good point about the powerklaw. That explains a lot.

Bear in mind, I only heard that rumor in one place, so it's not necessarily true. It's just something I heard that sounds like something they'd do.

+ Reply to Thread