Questions For Nid Players - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    59 (x1)

Questions For Nid Players

Greetings, I am new to the realm of 'Nids.

I have decent sized Eldar and Space Marine (Dark Angels...please don't laugh), and a motley assortment of imperial and inquisition units.

Now, I have dove headfirst into 'Nids. I am going for a toxic/bio-acid sort of theme, and I would like to know what you think and how well I am adhereing to that theme.

So far, what I have is:

Hive Tyrant
    -Wings
    -Scything Talons x2
    -Toxin Sacs
    -Toxic Miasma

Broodlord

Tyranid Warriors (x6)
    -Scything Talons
    -Rending Claws
    -Extended Carapace
    -Leaping
    -Toxin Sacs
    -Adrenal Glands (I)

Tyranid Warriors (x6)
    -Scything Talons
    -Devourers
    -Extended Carapace
    -Enhanced Senses
    -Toxin Sacs

Genestealers (x
    -Extended Carapace

Genestealers (x
    -Extended Carapace
    -Scuttle

Termagaunt (x16)
    -Fleshborer

Termagaunt (x16)
    -Fleshborer

Hormagaunt (x32)

Ripper Swarm (x6)

Ravener Brood (x6)
    -Devourer x3

Zoanthrope (x3)
    Psychic Powers vary

Carnifex
    -Enhanced Senses
    -Twin Linked Devourer x2 (magnetized, may be replaced with scything talons)
    -Spine Banks
    -Bio Plasma

Carnifex "Bio-Fex"
    -Enhanced Senses
    -Acid Maw (sometimes played as simply drooling when I need to shave points)
    -Adrenal Glands (WS)
    -Spore Cysts
    -Toxic Miasma
    -Spore Mines ('Count As' symbiote rippers)
    -"Twin Bio-Cannon"
    ("Bio-Cannons are multi-barrel symbiotes attached to each shoulder. They 'count as' Twin Linked Venom Cannon, Twin Linked Barbed Strangler, OR Venom Cannon & Barbed Strangler. This is a centerpiece model, and I plan on informing my opponent what it is prior to the start of play)

What do you think?

I am thinking about adding some biovores, forge world meiotic spores, and a bunch of spore mines to the mix, but what do YOU suggest I add to this list?

Very respectfully,
    Forsaken

* "I'm Significant!" -screamed the dust speck
    * "Call me old fashioned, but an evil ascension to power just isn't the same without someone chanting faux Latin in the background."

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    36 (x1)

hmm well you have a good start to the army there - I would not put off getting biovors - they are a fun unit to play with.
    As for the forge world stuff - remember its not legal in tournies and you have to ask opponenets before you get to use him - that said I have read that he is a good unit and also a darn good looking model.
    Honestly the only other things I would look to adding in time are raveners, lictors and more battleforeces
    member of LO JCHAT
    Legion Of Jaffa Consuming Hatters and Terribly Superfluous

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

59 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Overmind View Post
    hmm well you have a good start to the army there - I would not put off getting biovors - they are a fun unit to play with.
    As for the forge world stuff - remember its not legal in tournies and you have to ask opponenets before you get to use him - that said I have read that he is a good unit and also a darn good looking model.
    Honestly the only other things I would look to adding in time are raveners, lictors and more battleforeces
    Thanks Overmind!

I am planning on getting Lictors. This is my core force. After this I am going to buy models based on 'sub theme' (in roughly the order of interest)

Seeds of Ruin: 3 Biovores, meiotic spores, lots of spore mines.

Lurking Blades: 3 Lictors, 16 stealers with scuttle.

Death from Above: 6 Winged Warriors, 16-24 gargoyles, 6-9 winged ripper swarm bases.

The Hive: Hive Tyrant, 3 Tyrant Guard, Spore Chimney, 2 Capillary Towers, Brood Nests.

I am definitely into the Hive Mind full force. With a little bit of patience, I might even be able to rival my Eldar force.

How do raveners usually perform for you? I've never seen them used before.

--Forsaken
    * "Call me old fashioned, but an evil ascension to power just isn't the same without someone chanting faux Latin in the background."

Victorus aut Mortis Shad0w_Reaper's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

74 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Forsaken2544 View Post
    Thanks Overmind!

I am planning on getting Lictors. This is my core force. After this I am going to buy models based on 'sub theme' (in roughly the order of interest)

Seeds of Ruin: 3 Biovores, meiotic spores, lots of spore mines.

Lurking Blades: 3 Lictors, 16 stealers with scuttle.

Death from Above: 6 Winged Warriors, 16-24 gargoyles, 6-9 winged ripper swarm bases.

The Hive: Hive Tyrant, 3 Tyrant Guard, Spore Chimney, 2 Capillary Towers, Brood Nests.

I am definitely into the Hive Mind full force. With a little bit of patience, I might even be able to rival my Eldar force.

How do raveners usually perform for you? I've never seen them used before.

--Forsaken
    I absolutely love raveners, definately get some! They are fast, have many attacks on the charge, plus they can have rending...mmmmmmm!!! I have a couple of raveners in my list (I only own 4, so I run them in two squads of two) and they do really well for themselves. They are fast enough that they can move around and use cover to their advantage to avoid shooting. Be careful of one thing though, ive found raveners to be deadly on the assault, but they lack staying power in combat, and are vulnerable to special CC weapons ie power weapons and fists.
    Space Wolves (Under Construction) | Circle of Orboros (Under Construction)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    425 (x7)

A very good start, theres only two points id change with your core list.

First the broodlord and ret. Id cut back on the biomorphs if i were you. They dont really need leaping or toxin sacs. The unit will chew through terminators and anything else they hit even without them.

Also the spore cysts on the fex. The risk of losing a wound just to generate a single spore mine just isnt worth the risk, id go for a +1sv or +1T instead.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    36 (x1)

Awways give raveneres rending claws - use the ones of the genstealer sprue
    They work best if you think of them as a super hormagaunt with rending - use them as such - that means no guns and no deepstriking, they are fast enough to cross the board in 2 turns to reach combat.
    After that also break them into as many fast attack slots as you can, fast I and rending mean that they can cause a lot of damage on the charge which makes them a threat - and yet if there is only one in a single squad that is a lot of fire (1 turns worth or more if you are lucky( that your opponent has to use, so rather than killing 2 a round they can only kill 1.
    (though saying that deestriking a group with devourers can be fun - if risky )
    member of LO JCHAT

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x2)

A couple comments:

#1: I think this post should go in the Army List section, no?

#2: The Broodlord needs a retinue. Consider giving his retinue Extended Carapace and nothing else, while the Leech Master doesnt get any upgrades. Although, if you consider your gaunts as units that should be doing some damage, give the Broodlord and his retinue the Feeder Tendrils. Being able to hit on 3+ is a big advantage for these critters.

#3: The Lictors also work very well when used correctly. Consider getting some to support your gaunts where fighting is the fiercest, it will also give them the ability to hit on +3 since Lictors automatically get Feeder Tendrils.

#4: Raveners work extremely well when used correctly, especially in groups of three. Give them the Rending Claws and Scything Talons upgrade. However, they are rather vulnerable anything above and including Bolters, so try to make them move from cover to cover or just make your other units attract all the fire, leaving the enemy ready to be pulverised.

#5: Drop the Spore Cysts. For the same amount of points, you can get Spine Banks, which act as Spine Fists. 2 Strength 6 shots twinlinked is never unneeded.

#6: Drop Toxic Miasma on the Carnifex. That Carnifex is shooty and should never get in CC, so there is no point for the Miasma.

#7: If you give the Other Carnifex devourers, give him enhanced senses. BS2 will not be hitting a lot, unlike BS3. Also, NEVER give him Scything Talons, he will probably get to CC by Turn 4-5 or even 6, which will be too late to make much of a difference (unless, of course, he wipes out a whole deepstriking terminator squad, but you cant rely on that.)

#8: Be wary of your hormagaunt squad. If they were divided into two squads of 16, you will be able to get 1 extra objective than if you had one squad of 32. Plus, they are rather tricky to move around. It would be like 8 Hormies actually in combat while 24 are just standing around.

#9: Get rid of the Devourers on the Raveners, they cost too much. And if you really want to give Devourers to them, every single one must have devourers, not just half of the squad.

#10 : Make your second warrior squad have Deathspitters. THey are more effective on Warriors and have a better range.

#11: Can you specify the Zoanthrope abilities?

#12: Can you specify the point total?

Hope this helps!
    "What is Mercy? Does it taste Nice?" Hive Tyrant on Reth V

"Kill-kill! Death to the Enemies of the Horned Rat!" Warlord Bweekq at the Battle of Hrad

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

59 (x1)

#1: I think this post should go in the Army List section, no?
    ++This isn't so much of an army list as what I have in my collection. Sort of where I am, and where I am going.

#2: The Broodlord needs a retinue. Consider giving his retinue Extended Carapace and nothing else, while the Leech Master doesnt get any upgrades. Although, if you consider your gaunts as units that should be doing some damage, give the Broodlord and his retinue the Feeder Tendrils. Being able to hit on 3+ is a big advantage for these critters.
    ++Of the two broods of genestealers, one of them will be his retinue. I am seriously contemplating adding one more brood of stealers with scuttle and feeder tendrils to give lower power gribblies more hitting power.

#3: The Lictors also work very well when used correctly. Consider getting some to support your gaunts where fighting is the fiercest, it will also give them the ability to hit on +3 since Lictors automatically get Feeder Tendrils.
    ++Lictors are very high on my list of models to acquire. I've seen them rip things apart, and watching it yo-yo through a forest ripping units apart is something that I doubt I will ever forget.

#4: Raveners work extremely well when used correctly, especially in groups of three. Give them the Rending Claws and Scything Talons upgrade. However, they are rather vulnerable anything above and including Bolters, so try to make them move from cover to cover or just make your other units attract all the fire, leaving the enemy ready to be pulverised.
    ++Right now, they have twin scythes. I might get another unit with talons and claws. If these raveners work well enough (I can always have them proxy in a few games if I need to)

#5: Drop the Spore Cysts. For the same amount of points, you can get Spine Banks, which act as Spine Fists. 2 Strength 6 shots twinlinked is never unneeded.
    ++The spore cysts are more for the theme of the fex. I can always drop them if I need to save points.

#6: Drop Toxic Miasma on the Carnifex. That Carnifex is shooty and should never get in CC, so there is no point for the Miasma.
    ++again, it's more of a theme thing. But when I am feeling competitive, the miasma is dropped for more points)

#7: If you give the Other Carnifex devourers, give him enhanced senses. BS2 will not be hitting a lot, unlike BS3. Also, NEVER give him Scything Talons, he will probably get to CC by Turn 4-5 or even 6, which will be too late to make much of a difference (unless, of course, he wipes out a whole deepstriking terminator squad, but you cant rely on that.)
    ++The only time I will give him talons, is when he is supposed to be an ELITE fex. otherwise, I'll be keeping him in the back with his devourers.

#8: Be wary of your hormagaunt squad. If they were divided into two squads of 16, you will be able to get 1 extra objective than if you had one squad of 32. Plus, they are rather tricky to move around. It would be like 8 Hormies actually in combat while 24 are just standing around.
    ++When I drop the ripper swarms, I'll take smaller broods of gaunts. But 32 gaunts makes an epic area that can block line of sight to things behind it. (Especially when assaulting a larger opponent)

#9: Get rid of the Devourers on the Raveners, they cost too much. And if you really want to give Devourers to them, every single one must have devourers, not just half of the squad.
    ++I just wanted to see how it would work. The reason I only gve it to three of them, is because I can field them in two broods of three if I want.

#10 : Make your second warrior squad have Deathspitters. THey are more effective on Warriors and have a better range.
    ++I am planning on getting some warriors with deathspitters to mix in with the warriors (especially with the way blast templates are supposed to work in 5th ed.)

#11: Can you specify the Zoanthrope abilities?
    ++These vary from game to game. Usually warp blast and psychic scream.

#12: Can you specify the point total?
    ++With everything listed, I think it comes in between 1,850 and 2,000 points.

Thanks for your feedback! I'll definitely keep your comments in mind for my next sub-brood expansion. That's the type of information I need to make my horde of bugs the toxic gribblies they need to be.

Respectfully,
    --The Forsaken

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    36 (x1)

if you are looking at getting lictors may I suggest that you get the deathleaper model instead - granted it costs a little more, but its way way way better looking than the normal lictor
    member of LO JCHAT

+ Reply to Thread