Thinking of starting necrons.... - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thinking of starting necrons....

I have always liked necrons, and now I want to collect an army.

I would probably go for warriors and a lord first for the 2 troops and the HQ. After that, should I get some destroyers, or flayed ones/pariahs? I dont know much about necrons, so I would like some advice.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, I did collect Necrons, but that was way back when. So I have no idea of what you could do.

But yeah, starting with the core units is good.

King of Librarium's Tombs Phoenix's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    579 (x8)

Well 20 Warriors + Lord are kinda mandatory for your starting list, unless you want to begin with Combat Patrol rules.

After that, it really depends where you want to go with your army.

If you want a Shooty list, then go with Destroyers, Immortals and a Lord on Foot.

Recently ive been leaning towards Close Combat Crons, where i use Flayed Ones and Wraiths, with a Destroyer Lord.

Whatever you choose, id always advise taking one unit of Scarabs, however many you can fit in with remaining points.
    Also, a Monolith. Take one in any game of 1250+pts you play, and always deepstrike it, unless you are positive the enemy has noting that can harm it, or you can take out their anti tank early and fast whilst keeping the Lith hidden for a bit. The Lith really is an amazing vehicle.

Oh and Pariahs. They look good on paper to begin with, but they require a slightly different playstyle to the rest of the army in order for them to be used effectively, avoid them for now.
    Last edited by Phoenix; April 8th, 2008 at 13:58.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    39 (x1)

Hi

Necrons are a good solid army that are pretty easy to use IMO, My bro collects them and since he's visually impared I paint them for him, there really easy and easy to paint and IMO are the best things about necrons, For your list immortals are really good and every list should have some IMO. But without doubt destroyers are the best choice in the necron codex and 6 in 1500pts is what I'd aim for so I'd get some of them fo your next choice like you suggested, after that some immortals, another squad of necrons then a monilith to round it off at 1250pts, which I think would make an excellent core and would give you room for another choice and to play around with the list a little. But despite my advice, its really up to you and what suits for playing style, what appeals to you and what you want from your army, hope this helped,

Gilli

P.S don't get pariahs for defeinate, unless your playing eldar
    Armies: Space Marines: 3500pts
    Space Wolves: 2000pts (in Progress)
    Click here to join Travian: http://www.travian.co.uk/?uc=uk5_662

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the ideas. Another thing I need to think about is what to give the Lord. I think he definitely should have a phylactery, and maybe a lightning field.

What do you guys think of Tomb Spyders?

@gilli247: why take pariahs only against eldar?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    39 (x1)

hi

As pheonix says I'd leave pariahs till your a bit more of a vetran there not awsome IME, The things the lord defo needs are res.orb which is mandatory, a good trick is veil of darkness with the imortals but apart from that I'd keep him normal. Tomb spiders are good for monsturous cretures and for keeping the 'crons alive but there not ace, I forgot to say earlier if you don't have the codex yet GET IT!! Although I asume you do,

Gilli

King of Librarium's Tombs Phoenix's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    579 (x8)

Tomb Spyders. One can be good in most lists, if you can find the points to include it. Useful in Combat Cron armies, where you have 20 Warriors who will need some defence from any assault while the Lord is off killing amongst the enemy lines. Not necessary, but i think id definitely invest in one. Dont bother with the gun upgrade for it though, keep it as a combat beast. BS2 is awful. WS2 on the other hand, isnt actually that bad, esp with it being a Monstrous Creature.

Im not sure why Gilli suggests Pariahs against Eldar... if anything id say use them against Termie heavy SM armies, and make sure you get the Charge.

As for a Lords Gear, again it depends on what type of army you want. No matter what, id avoid Lightning Field, and Phylactry too. The 1st involves you taking deaths in order to get a weak counter strike from it, and the second doesnt improve the odds of WBB. so sods law youll fail it anyway.

Common Combaos are:
    Lord + ResOrb + Veil of Darkness. I dont like the Veil myself, too risky Deep Striking, but if you do choose this one, have the Lord use i only with an Immortal unit.

Lord + Destroyer Boby + Warscythe. This is the combo i use at 1K for my combat Crons, its all thats needed. At anything above 1K:

Lord + DBody + ResOrb + Phase Shifter + Warscythe. Caps out the Lord at 210pts, best run with 2 units of 3 Wraiths.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On Pariahs: Eldar are psyker heavy and a hidden squad of Pariahs will murder them with their special anti-psyker rules. They have one other use as well that a lot of people don't usually consider...anti-Necron. They're slightly faster initiativewise than your typical Necron unit (capitalizing on an army weakness), they kill opposing leadership thereby increasing the chances of getting a sweeping advance (the biggest weakness of the Necron army IMO), and their weapons prevent WBB without a ResOrb present (taking away an army strength). Properly played, a squad of Pariahs can truly devastate an opposing Necron player's forces and should be considered when facing them.

On Tomb Spiders: For now I'd say not to worry about it. Your forces aren't going to be nearly big enough to warrant the inclusion of one just yet in your army. Later on, they're not that bad of a choice for the points.

On Wargear: There are so many potential possibilities for outfitting a Lord that telling you outright which to use wouldn't really do you much good until you have a better understanding for how you'll be playing them. What I can do is give you some common loadouts that you might want to try out and see how well they work for you...

Assault Support/TMC Hunter: Resurrection Orb, Phase Shifter, Destroyer Body, Warscythe
    General Unit Support: Resurrection Orb, Veil of Darkness, Staff of Light
    Anti-Horde Support: Phase Shifter, Lightning Field, Destroyer Body, Gaze of Flame, Staff of Light

I hope this helps

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    39 (x1)

hi

Since everyone wants to know why against eldar (seems obvios to me) is because loads of things in the eldar list has invunreble saves, harles DA's with simmersheils, avatar, farseer, warlocks etc. And since they have a low toughness pariahs kick there butts, and counters the farseers tricks

Gilli

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dont actually have a real codex, but I have downloaded a PDF codex that I will print off.

Thanks for all the info guys, its appreciated.

Nobody has said much about flayed ones. Are they worth taking?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast