The perfect size jetbike squadron - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    59 (x1)

The perfect size jetbike squadron

I'm thinking about adding a host of windriders to my eldar army.

I am a firm believer in 'speed is life' But I am wondering what the ideal size is for a jetbike squadron?

3? Two cats and a cannon?
    4? 3 cats and a cannon
    6? 4 cats and 2 cannons

Other?

I am planning on building an autarch on jetbike, 3+ squadrons of jetbikes, and 3 vypers with missile launchers (either a squadron of 3, or 3 squadrons of 1).

Can you think of anything else that would work in an army that never touches the ground? I was thinking about getting some more Falcons that could also serve in apocalypse as a cloudstrike squadron.

But again, I am trying to keep the bulk of my forces on jetbikes, shining spears, and vypers.

* "I'm Significant!" -screamed the dust speck
    * "Call me old fashioned, but an evil ascension to power just isn't the same without someone chanting faux Latin in the background."

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

72 (x1)

Well since they are a troop choice and you can have up to 6 in a standard FOC I would probably keep the number around 3 or 4, since they have the benefit of a MEQ save, they are considerably more resilient, so its a bit easier to get away with smaller units. The advantage of this is that since you have more seperate groups you can be more effecient with your targeting, rather than unloading all your shots on one target. And obviously, you want to increase the number of models as the points of the game increases.
    "War does not determine who is right - only who is left" Bertrand Russell

We bring only death, and leave only carrion. It is a message even a Human can understand.

W/D/L
    Eldar: 3-3-1

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    476 (x8)

All mine are in units of 3 - the amount of real estate bikes take up makes units of 6 unwieldy and difficult to place. I'd suggest four at most, and the fourth guy is a warlock.

Other than that, what mr cellphone said :ninja:.

Having an army and not owning a rulebook is like owning a car with no steering wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by amishcellphone
    <3 rork. He does all the arguing so I don't have to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another vote for the 3 here. For another reason to add to the ammount of scoring units useful with turbo boost for nicking objectives and table quaters last turn...
    What once was courage has now cursed in the wars we've made.
    We are the sinners, before our graves.
    (Coheed)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    44 (x2)

Vote for 6 or 9 here. They are odd numbers, better for leadership tests, and are multiples of three as well for the cannons. I don't like small squads because if you lose a single person you are taking a leadership test.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

pfagh!.
    ok there isnt an ideal answer, it depends on what you face and what you try and achieve, but:
    Option 1:
    3 bikes, 1 of which has a cannon, add a warlock with a spear and embolden
    This is essentially a tank hunter and anoyance unit, it can deal with any armour because of the spear, and lighter stuff the cannon joins in.

NOTE: a 3 man bike squad is very easy to take out without the warlock, losing 1 model, who is only as dificult to kill as a tac marine, forces a moral check, which isnt good, adding the warlock with embolden gives you better LD with a re-roll

Option 2:
    9 bikes with 3 cannon, a warlock can be added and to be honest I do still like embolden, too much riks of the squad running, essentially a JSJ firepower unit, it can ravage opponents if used well, even without the lock it puts down 9 str 6 and 12 re roll str4 shots per turn this chomps through squads

Option 3: 6 man squads with 2 cannon - to be honest I rarely use, it is rather a "I cant make my mind up" squad, which isnt a good possition to be in, but again probably want the lock

Note on Autarch: the best use of autarch on a bike (in fact IMHO pretty close to the only use) is accompanying a shining spear squad, and even then it requires the correct target
    Everything you have been told is a lie!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

59 (x1)

Cheredanine,

I always appreciate when you take the time to answer a post. You are usually quite insightful.

I hadn't even thought about the warlock...That's a good call with embolden. Fluff-wise though, I might want to keep with the 'clan leader' as opposed to an actual warlock...but the rules would be the same (Just because I already have a jetbike retinue for my farseer, and having more of the blighters would be a bit much)

The mobility of J/S/J is really a pretty good deal, and I have to refine my technique (or completely overhaul my eye for distances). I once used an all skimmer force against a Destroyer Heavy Necron force...I don't think I have ever seen that much zipping around the table before or since.

You and I agree wholeheartedly on the Autarch, though sometimes I give him a fusion gun. JSJ and all that.

Respectfully,
    --Forsaken
    * "I'm Significant!" -screamed the dust speck
    * "Call me old fashioned, but an evil ascension to power just isn't the same without someone chanting faux Latin in the background."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Even Though everyone here has given their thoughts, I think 3 jetbikes, 1 cannon, and warlock is the best number. If you only lose one you dont have to do leadership, but it is still small enough to where you are not wasting points. Happy Hunting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

An after thought is if you take a big 9 man squad, maybe a guide from a farseer could be really helpful8Y

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

Forsaken matey, there has always been a bit of a gap, fluff to rules with Siam Hann, Fluff wise, almost every member of the craftworld is a member of a wild rider clan, these alegencies are only set asside when entering a war path (aspect warrior)

But rules wise, the last codex, wild rider chieftain and their kin were only HQ choices, the rest of the bikes were nothing different from other armies, thus I am much in favour of using speras and autarch as wild rider and kindred (much as many ulthwe players I know use Da as black guardians (or rather use DA rules for their Black guradian models)

This codex it is even worse, undoubtedly there should be some distinction between the wild rider kindred and those eldar on bikes who are not,
    ho hum, we want piccis amigo
    Everything you have been told is a lie!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast