Help needed against some big beast... - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    31 (x1)

Help needed against some big beast...

Hello guys !

I have a fight tomorrow evening, against a good Chaos player. He's asked me to increase the planned point limit from 1500pts to 2300-2500pts, saying at 1500pts he cannot field enough guys. Fine. Now I've asked some friends what the Chaos player is likely to bring, and they tell me he's going to come with Angrath (the triple-8 fellow, so I hear). I do not know the rules and stats for that particular gentleman. I know you cannot tell me stats and rules, but can you give me some indication of what I could do against him ?

Thanks !

Murek

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MurekZar View Post
    Hello guys !

I have a fight tomorrow evening, against a good Chaos player. He's asked me to increase the planned point limit from 1500pts to 2300-2500pts, saying at 1500pts he cannot field enough guys. Fine. Now I've asked some friends what the Chaos player is likely to bring, and they tell me he's going to come with Angrath (the triple-8 fellow, so I hear). I do not know the rules and stats for that particular gentleman. I know you cannot tell me stats and rules, but can you give me some indication of what I could do against him ?

Thanks !

Murek
    Personally if the game was set at 1500, thats what i would play. He wants to increase the points so he can bring a unit/model that is not allowed in 1500, unless you are doing the same then you might be at a disadvantage.

On dont know about Angrath, but a BL or an Autarch with shining spears usually do the trick against high point HQ units.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ------------------------
    SinisterSP
    It takes only one well placed shot to destroy an army.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    72 (x1)

Angrath isn't the right name, perhaps abbadon or ahriman? If its Abbadon, hes immune to instant death, puts out up to 10 strength 8 power weapon attacks with rerolls on wounds, and rocks terminator armor. He's dead hard and your best bet, because of his limited mobility without a transport, is to pot shot him with high str low ap weapons at range and plink off his wounds slowly but surely.
    "War does not determine who is right - only who is left" Bertrand Russell

We bring only death, and leave only carrion. It is a message even a Human can understand.

W/D/L
    Eldar: 3-3-1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you have it in your army, take a six man fire dragon unit, load up in a falcon (or wave serpent if your daring enough) and run up to him blazing pulse laser and starcannon fire, along with 6 fire dragons. Thats10 ap two shots, plus whatever else you can afford to snipe with and with holofields they are almost guarunteed to reach their target. If he is wanting to play such a high points, then he might not have very many guys so you could out number him....Happy Hunting!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    159 (x5)

I've seen the stats for this fellow and he is a real nightmare.
    Although i a lot of points to be sure.
    I believe he only has an invul save, not sure on that and a heap of wounds with a high T rating. I would say either feed him low point troops, run the other way (not easy to do as he has wings), leave him till last while taking out the rest of the army, deny forge world units or aim every high powered high str. weapon at him in the vain hope of demolishing him in a turn or two.
    Caps-Lock, its like cruise-control for AWESOMENESS!
    Dear Game Developer,
    Rock is cheese, Paper is just fine
    Signed Scissors.

WWP and other Dark Eldar how to
    http://forums.relicnews.com/showthread.php?t=149386

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    44 (x2)

Oh, he's taking the massive mother of all bloodthirsters, then? Ouch. I'm pretty sure I'm not supposed to post actual stats, but he'll take the firepower of a titan to kill. Take whatever you would use to kill something at toughness 8, multiply that by two or three, and pray that he doesn't reach close combat. Or take a bunch of shining spears units. Or, alternatively, an entire unit of fire dragons might wound him so terribly that you can kill him without too much later difficulty. Or, if you have one, a flyer that's practically invulnerable. He's a very scary beast, so try to outrun him. He can't kill what he can't catch.
    Last edited by Mongooseo; April 16th, 2008 at 01:56.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Considering he costs nearly 900pts (more than any other Titan bar the Warlord) it is not surprising that he is so powerful. Also note he has a 2+ armour save in addition to the invul.

Depending on your preference the two routes are to take it on in CC, via Harlequins. They have the trait to wound him (rending) and have the initiative to strike before him either on the attack or defense.

The other route would be to spam high S/ ap 1/2 weaponry.

Either route would work, especially when you consider 2/5ths of his entire army is dedicated to a single unit. Personally I would go the ranged route, since if you guys are running it as a Apocalypse game (the only way he could use An'Ggrath) you can use Apoc formations. You can get 6 Fire Prisms for his Daemon and if you put them in the Sunstorm formation (found here: http://us.games-workshop.com/games/4...r_sunstorm.pdf) they will maul both his Daemon and the rest of his army. Very little stands in the way of TL, 10" Blast, Destroyer weapons with unlimited range

Edit: Also note that An'Ggrath has to enter play using the rules for Greater Demons (i.e. through possesing one of his models). This makes the Sunstorm formation even more viscous, since Destroyer weapons cause Instand Death to infantry so you could slaughter his infantry. If you kill all of them I believe An'Ggrath is considered destroyed for VP.
    Last edited by Vesper; April 16th, 2008 at 07:02.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Iv not heard of this fellow either, but he seems like wraithguard bait.... that whole chance to kill out right...
    What once was courage has now cursed in the wars we've made.
    We are the sinners, before our graves.
    (Coheed)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

An'Ggrath is a Gargantuan Creature and is immune to Instant Death (he only takes one wound from such a attack).

Edit: He also takes D3 wounds from a force weapon, it doesn't kill him outright.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

live played against him twice and i must say hes a beast, the first time i was able to kill it but i did by ranged weapons alone. Pathfinders can do significant damage due to the ap 1 shots and ease of wounding, just so happened i had 4 squads of 10 pathfinders. Second time was with a scorpion. still killed one unit a turn so if spaced out right he will kill a unit and then he just out there thats when you kill him.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast