How we arming a looted wagon? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    I bring PANDEMONIUM! Zephyr_the_AzureWind's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x2)

How we arming a looted wagon?

So I decided to stick with tankbustas as my premier anti-armor from range, thus forcing me to use a looted wagon as a transport (footslogging an ork with a non-existent save doesn't work out when they cost as much as a marine and has to target the nearest enemy vehicle regardless of range)

How should I outfit it as far as weaponry with 5th edition in mind?

and the looted wagon is preferably expendable but will have lots of decoys in the form of trukk boys and wartraks

Raven Claws Space Marine Chapter........2500 points
    Waagh Rotskrag (in building process)

Member of the Fluffmaster Clan

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    511 (x8)

Problems

Honestly, a looted wagon doesn't really provide much protection. It's preferable to walking certainly, as it'll help you get in range, and help negate the glory hogs rule, but when I field tankbustas, I always put them in battlewagons.

I used to think that was too much points, but after a few games, I realized that the looted wagons just don't last long enough for the tankbustas to earn back their points. Other people might disagree with me, but the battlewagon is a lot more dependable, and as long as outfit it with only a big shoota and grot riggers (a nice and cheap addition for expensive vehicles), it only costs 100 points, or 60 points more than a looted wagon w/big shoota. It costs a bit more, but it's a lot more useful.

If you want to use a looted wagon, then I'd keep the unit of tankbustas small, since they're more or less doomed in any case after the looted wagon takes a penetrating hit. In this case, I'd run it cheaply with only a big shoota, for 40 points.
    "Any job worth doing, is worth doing with a powerklaw."
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru.../mynameisgrax/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    68 (x2)

A few things to note since you asked about regards to 5th Edition. Note that all the info below is based off the info I have on 5th Edition.

1st off Vehciles in general will be tougher to stop in 5th Ed, so a Looted Wagon does become a more viable option. Also, note that as Grax said in 4th Ed if you get Penetrated you must disembark, but in 5th Ed this may not be the case.

The effects on Passengers seems to be greatly changed. If a vehcile is shaken its rumored that passengers may NOT fire from WITHIN the vehicle. So whether it be a LW or BW, if you are shaken you have to disembark to shoot! Also rumored is that you are stunned passengers can't shoot or disembark, this makes armour plates more worth it now for transports.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm starting to think my standard load out for Looted & Battle Wagons that I'm using mainly as boy delivery systems is going to be

Red Paint Job +5pts
    Reinforded Ram + 5 pts

No guns

This way they can get da boys to where they need to be as fast as posible for as cheap, whether is Tankbusters or Nobz..

My main reasoning for this is
    1) They are gonna be fire magnets anyway.. if they are moving fast they won't get a chance to shoot.
    2) Once the boyz are out they can still tank shock other units with gay abandon whilst they are still able.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    511 (x8)

Gun!

Quote Originally Posted by 40k_slimez View Post
    I'm starting to think my standard load out for Looted & Battle Wagons that I'm using mainly as boy delivery systems is going to be

Red Paint Job +5pts
    Reinforded Ram + 5 pts

No guns

This way they can get da boys to where they need to be as fast as posible for as cheap, whether is Tankbusters or Nobz..

My main reasoning for this is
    1) They are gonna be fire magnets anyway.. if they are moving fast they won't get a chance to shoot.
    2) Once the boyz are out they can still tank shock other units with gay abandon whilst they are still able.
    Never, EVER field a vehicle without a weapon.

Although it doesn't make logical sense, if you field a vehicle weaponless, you double the chances of it being immobilized.

The reason is, if your opponent gets a 'weapon destroyed' result, and there isn't a weapon to destroy, then the vehicle is immobilized instead. For a transport, losing the ability to move is far more detrimental than losing a gun.

You need at least a single big shoota on the vehicle or it's going to skid to a permanent halt long before it reaches it's target. If an open topped vehicle without a weapon receives a glancing hit, it has a 66% chance of either becoming immobilized or destroyed, and if it's a penetrating hit, the chances go up to 83%.

5 points for a big shoota is the best upgrade those vehicles can receive. Plus, you can kill guys with it to. ^_^
    Last edited by mynameisgrax; April 19th, 2008 at 18:00. Reason: forgot one thing
    "Any job worth doing, is worth doing with a powerklaw."
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru.../mynameisgrax/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mynameisgrax View Post
    Never, EVER field a vehicle without a weapon.

Although it doesn't make logical sense, if you field a vehicle weaponless, you double the chances of it being immobilized.

The reason is, if your opponent gets a 'weapon destroyed' result, and there isn't a weapon to destroy, then the vehicle is immobilized instead. For a transport, losing the ability to move is far more detrimental than losing a gun.

You need at least a single big shoota on the vehicle or it's going to skid to a permanent halt long before it reaches it's target. If an open topped vehicle without a weapon receives a glancing hit, it has a 66% chance of either becoming immobilized or destroyed, and if it's a penetrating hit, the chances go up to 83%.

5 points for a big shoota is the best upgrade those vehicles can receive. Plus, you can kill guys with it to. ^_^
    You know its stupid ideas that I have that like this that lose me games ... I WOULD 've remembered that in the first game I played with one... so now I'll upgrade my Load out to include at least 1 big shoota +5

SO thats +50pts for a cheap delivery system for your tankbusters

+ Reply to Thread