400 point combat patrol options - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

400 point combat patrol options

Hi guys,

I'm having a lot of fun recently with combat patrol lists. I would like to give a Tyranid army a try and have been trying to come up with an army list to use in Combat patrols.

So thumbing through the codex we don't have very many options as to what we can take in a combat patrol. Warriors (the only synapse we can field), gaunts, raveners, lictors, and stealers.

If anyone has some working lists or developmental tips they can throw out there I'd really appreciate it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Watcher In The Sky Beardy_Wierdy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    127 (x4)

I would be tempted to go with two units of three Warriors, one set up for Close Combat with leaping, scything talons, rending claws and extended carapace and the other toting twin-linked devourers.

Apart from that its up to you. Numbers might be the way forward though.
    The name refers to facial hair, not playing style.

Quote Originally Posted by A news vendor's stand, London, June 1940
    French sign peace treaty: we're in the finals!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    36 (x1)

Yah the patrol for nids is hard!
    Personally I have had good luck with 3 warriors geard up for shooting with devourers and a venom canon (that last is essential as a single tank can take out nids = so you need some ranged anti - tank.)
    After that I tend to fill up the rest of the points with generstealers with extended carapace (bolter defence) - the carapace is essential as you have to keep them alive without a swarm to distract. I have also had good luck with hormagaunts, but that only works against a player who does not yet get synapse and nids!
    A lictor could be a good addition if you expect enough terrain to hide in for a few turns and also to be playing a sniper enemy (tau, eldar - tau especially)
    Personally I have found that I have only managed to win CP when against another army focused on close combat -but I have had good fun with the nids (if we ever get to close combat with hte stealers we win!)
    member of LO JCHAT
    Legion Of Jaffa Consuming Hatters and Terribly Superfluous

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm trying not to purchase anymore models then I have at the moment. I have a battleforce as well as all the models from the macragge set.

I'd like to run the following:
    8 Spinegaunts - 40 points
    8 Hormagaunts - 80 points
    8 Genestealers with extended carapace - 160 points

This leaves me 120 points for synapse in the form of 3 warriors.
    Should I try and kit out these warriors for shooting or close combat?

Watcher In The Sky Beardy_Wierdy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    127 (x4)

Well, you really need some Anti-Tank that doesnt rely on enemy vehicles staying still, so shooting. Because as things stand a single Chimera or Devilfish or other light tank could really do unpleasant things to you.

You can go Venom Cannon for the AT and Devourers for anti-infantry once any armour is down or Venom Cannon and Deathspitters to make extra sure of the armour. The first will probably be more effective if you only have the one set of warriors.

And fear the heavy bolter.
    Last edited by Beardy_Wierdy; April 22nd, 2008 at 12:36.
    The name refers to facial hair, not playing style.

Quote Originally Posted by A news vendor's stand, London, June 1940
    French sign peace treaty: we're in the finals!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With your current, I'd go with the shooty VC and 2 DS Warrior brood like Beardy suggested. Nothing worse than wiping out all of your opponents infantry and spending the last 2 turns doing nothing as his tanks shoot at you (I had a bad 1000 pt exp one day)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not sure I fully understand how to use the biomorphs on these warriors. Let me know if this is correct.

Warrior - 36
    Deathspitter
    Scything Talons
    Extended Carapace
    Enhanced Senses
    Toxin Sacs

Warrior - 36
    Deathspitter
    Scything Talons
    Extended Carapace
    Enhanced Senses
    Toxin Sacs

Warrior - 46
    Venom Cannon
    Scything Talons
    Extended Carapace
    Enhanced Senses
    Toxin Sacs

Leaves me with a brood costing 118 points, two points under my 120 point budget. Is this generally how you kit out shooting warriors with 1 ranged weapons and 1 melee weapon? Since you can only fire one gun at a time it to me makes no sense to carry two ranged weapons. The only other option for them then is twinlinking deathspitters but this drastically increases their costs.

I know I will be facing a list with 1 devilfish or warfish, 12 warriors, crisis suit and stealth suits.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yea, that's how I kit out my small warrior broods.

Quote Originally Posted by Linkdead View Post

Is this generally how you kit out shooting warriors with 1 ranged weapons and 1 melee weapon? Since you can only fire one gun at a time it to me makes no sense to carry two ranged weapons. The only other option for them then is twinlinking deathspitters but this drastically increases their costs.
    And that's exactly why you only give them one range weapon. I generally use the Scything talons, but there are arguments for rending claws. I like the talons because they are (slightly) cheaper, and more numerous amongst the sprues. I personally don't like the idea of twin-linking (for the cost like you said).

So yea, looks good

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    36 (x1)

If they gave us 3 sets of rending claws in a box of warriors I think more people would use rending claws over scything talons for shooting warriors - it like gargoyles - too expensive/tricky/time consuming to convert - for most people to use them. Those warriors are just how I would run them - all they need to shoot and nothing more . However if you are going gaunt heavy I would try and get another warrior in - other wise a smart opponent might just shoot out hte warriors -
    member of LO JCHAT
    Legion Of Jaffa Consuming Hatters and Terribly Superfluous

+ Reply to Thread