Biovores Vs. other HS options - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

View Poll Results: What would be your 3rd HS choice

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • 3 Zoanthrope Psychic Scream/Synapse

7 7.87%
  • 3 Zoanthropes Warp Blast/Synapse

30 33.71%
  • Sniperfex

20 22.47%
  • Dakkafex

8 8.99%
  • Close Combat Carnifex

7 7.87%
  • 3 Biovores Frag

8 8.99%
  • 3 Biovores Toxin

1 1.12%
  • 3 Biovores Bio Acid

8 8.99%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Biovores Vs. other HS options

While their doesn't seem to be an overall negative opinion of Biovores the choice seems to go unused in almost all armies.

I am going to put forward a possible scenario that might lead you to selecting biovores. This scenario being one I am actually being confronted with.

SCENARIO:

-You are playing a guard opponent and already are running 2 sniperfexes (Enhance Senses, Barbed Strangler, and Venom Cannon) and want to fill your 3rd HS option what do you use?

(Consider Dakkafexes and cheap CC Carnifexes could also be used in elites.)

(Also take into consideration you might just want to deepstrike sporemines if use them at all...)

I'll get to the point finally. I am planning on playing a guard player and have come to this decision. I have always considered buying additional Zoanthropes, but at the moment have 3biovores and have warmed up to them after going over the barrage/multiple barrage rules again. You also have to consider that a Biovore miss may be a hit with a good drift roll later.

I am in favor of Frag Biovores because the pinning checks and indirect fire ability.

Last edited by Enjoi_Tyranids; April 22nd, 2008 at 03:29.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I vote 3 psychic scream/warp blast zoanthropes, 3 biovores (frag is fine vs guard but I really like bio-acid for an all comers list) and one big nasty carnifex that can absorb more fire than it has any right to.

It's unusual from what I've seen, but combine it with an elite dakkafex and a couple of hive tyrants, that'll still give you leftover points to bulk up numbers with the rest, with a warrior squad to help with synapse coverage. Hide them behind monstrous creatures to keep them alive.
    Last edited by Aracor; April 22nd, 2008 at 03:38.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    71 (x1)

I like Biovores, to be honest. I play pretty shooty bugs and against IG, it'll be handy to drop a couple extra blasts a turn. Not to mention IG Ld. is atrocious so stopping a turn of firing is only good

A Third sniperfex wouldn't be a bad bet either, but I like variety in my armies, to be perfectly honest.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    31 (x2)

When playing an Infantry based IG army, I think Biovores rock. Still, I would also take those 2 gunfexes, and a CC HT for the tanks too. But against other armies (Tau not counted ), I think Biovores stink. I hate how they change the rules, meaning you can only shoot 1 enemy unit
    Tyranids Win [31]/ Draw [0]/Lost [0]
    Daemon Hunters Win [17]/ Draw [2]/ Lost [1]
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...t&uniqueid=232

Watcher In The Sky Beardy_Wierdy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    127 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by darkspawn327 View Post
    Not to mention IG Ld. is atrocious
    LD9 across the board is atrocious? Because that is what a properly done Guard army should have.

And I am still experimenting when it comes to the extra HS choices (I have not been playing Tyranids that long) and at the moment I am trying out the various methods of floaty-brain doom, so my vote goes to Synapse/Warp Blast Zoanthropes.
    The name refers to facial hair, not playing style.

Quote Originally Posted by A news vendor's stand, London, June 1940
    French sign peace treaty: we're in the finals!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    183 (x4)

This is a pretty hard option, playing guard means that you have lots of guys attacking you. 3 Biovores would be really nice but I am not a big fan of them...so a Zoanthrope with warp blast and synapse will be really great as you already have 2 sniper fexes to take care of most of the work for you...but a dakka fex would be really good as well

Charitably Tables People MVBrandt's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    196 (x5)

You're not guaranteed to have LOS-blocking cover for biovores, which are very fragile as far as Tyranids are concerned.

You're not guaranteed to do any meaningful damage to a full breadth of possible opponents with biovores, rendering them hit-or-miss and opponent-specific.

If you intend to just play them on occasion vs. opponents you think they might be useful against, go for it. If you intend to make them a permanent part of your army, you're going to be technically less competitive than if you used a trio of zoes or even better a third sniperfex.

Do you want fluff / occasional fortune or do you want reliable execution? The answer to the poll is directly related to the answer to that questino.
    Nids & Guard
    GMail = MVBrandt

Watcher In The Sky Beardy_Wierdy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    127 (x4)

Yeah, but he mentioned he was after guard specifically, which means they would actually be useful (at least going from statlines, which is dangerous I know) Low saves across the boards and if its an all infantry army there will be a large area of table in which any spore mine will have a good chance at a hit.

Easy wounding and a save ignoring AP.

Actually, I am surprised no-one has voted for a Dakkafex yet, okay it doesnt ignore armour saves, but Guard dont have a particularly good one.
    The name refers to facial hair, not playing style.

Quote Originally Posted by A news vendor's stand, London, June 1940
    French sign peace treaty: we're in the finals!

Mau'Dib
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x1)

If it had been up there I would have voted for 2 warp blast\screamers and 1 warp blast synapse. Then keep them ~8 inches from each other, hide the synapse one and march the screamers forward. You bring guard down to LD 7 or below, start pinning them with barbed stranglers and use your warp blasts to hit vehicles (especially hell hounds. They have to come to you, bringing them in range of the str 10 shots which can (and likely will) pen even their front armour.

Barring that, I go with the warp blast, it's just too nasty against his armour, and once that's dead you can use it to go troop hunting, especially if they have close order drill.
    ~2k of genestealery goodness
    ~1750points of terminator goodness

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

more witty remarks to come.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In my armies I usually dont have the models to fill my fast attack choices so I might consider just deep striking spore mines for early fun.

I think it has to be considered that spore mines always have an opportunity to not only attack (indirect fire), but also always have an opportunity to make up for bad scatters considering spore mines, unlike other mortars have their munition continue across the battlefield. if you are lucky then every attack you make has a chance to hit (unlike BS3 weapons which are our other heavy support choices which will likely only hit half the time)

I was going to consider using a synapse to detonate viable, but it isn't taking up a shooting attack.

On a side note...

The BS3 doesn't have any effect on the shots does it? (basically like how sniper rifles negate BS?).

I've been looking over Zoanthropes and I wish I had the models to run three I want to get them now because I've come to the conclusion (in my own head) that stat-wise they are our only viable anti-MEQ and our only Units that can penetrate heavy armor without using close combat.

(Still I would stick with the cheaper Biovores against guard probably and to really make it chaotic deepstrike sporemines along with Biovores...mabye).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast