Do Dark Eldar need new units? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x2)

Do Dark Eldar need new units?

Hi,

I've been thinking about the releases of new codecies lately and the good old Dark Eldar have been neglected for some time.

We are one of the few armies in 40K that have very few units to choose from... however does that mean that we need new units?

I find that there is a nice balance in our list and each unit has its role. Sure some units need to be fixed to make them more viable (scouges, hellions).

But do we really need any new units? If so what are people thinking and why?

Thanks in advance

There is nothing more annoying when your Wyches with Plasma Grenades get "Always strikes First" for their combat drugs!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    434 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Malkieth View Post
    Hi,

I've been thinking about the releases of new codecies lately and the good old Dark Eldar have been neglected for some time.

We are one of the few armies in 40K that have very few units to choose from... however does that mean that we need new units?

I find that there is a nice balance in our list and each unit has its role. Sure some units need to be fixed to make them more viable (scouges, hellions).

But do we really need any new units? If so what are people thinking and why?

Thanks in advance
    The short answer to this is ‘yes.’

De is the second shortest army list in 40K bested only by the Necrons.

We have only one troop choice, the retinue choice of Incubi that is just about never used (let alone the Incubi Master), only the Wyches among the Elites are commonly used, the Hellions in Fast Attack have been nerfed by the 4th Ed rules, Scourges with lances defy logic and the Talos is out of place in a Dark Eldar army.
    Plus the fact that many of the special characters never see the light of day.

Now while the rumoured rules changes may fix a lot of these problems up there is still the fact that we only have the one troop choice, warriors in a Kabal or Wyches in a Cult.

So what happens if the rules don’t fix up some of our poorer units? I would rather have more choice in the new Codex rather than less and troops are a good place to start.

Thanks.
    In a controversy the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    79 (x2)

I pretty much agree with everything wickywacky1 said apart from saying the incubi ae never used.Well from the list i've seen on this forum it seems they are fairly common.

Apart from that however your right,not many choices,and i would say half of those are underpowered/out of place.So i do hope the upcoming codex adds say 2-4 new units and makes ALL units currently in the dark eldar codex br usable,that means i want to see scourges being a decent addition to any army list,same thing for hellions or grotesques.If that was done the dark eldar would have a very decent army list.
    -A tau, dark eldar and slaanesh csm player
    -vassal player
    -And always on LO chat..

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    434 (x8)

Hi,
    The Incubi in my lists see the least amount of play time of any unit and I class them along with the Talos as being out of step with an army that relies on speed as its armour.
    Anyway I suppose its a personal choice here.

Just wanted to echoe Kwi's words of wisdom - we need infiltrators of some kind and I don't mean Mandrakes, although those guys need an upgrade character badly.

Cheers.
    In a controversy the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

79 (x2)

what kind of infiltrators do you think we need?Something similar to the tyranids Lictor or a larger squad?Im all for a new infiltrating unit but i don't have any ideas
    -vassal player
    -And always on LO chat..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wickywacky1 View Post
    the Talos is out of place in a Dark Eldar army.
    I'm going to have to disagree here. I think the talos is a good fit with DE. Granted, slow as all get out. But DE take a slave and torture him to death just to power a machine is so DE.
    Help the kin TAKE your soul, I mean, take your soul...
    I play Vassal. I'm in V40K Open Ladder.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

79 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Seeker84 View Post
    I'm going to have to disagree here. I think the talos is a good fit with DE. Granted, slow as all get out. But DE take a slave and torture him to death just to power a machine is so DE.

Of course it fits perfectly with the lore but im pretty sure wickywacky was talking about the gameplay,and frankly the gameplay>the fluff imho 0:
    -vassal player
    -And always on LO chat..

S-N
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

Well, I'm pretty sure the question was asking for new ones, so I'm going to say no. What we do need, however, is an update for our current ones. We pretty much have every role filled in our army list, so a new unit is not needed.

Although, it would be pretty cool to get a walker, despite that the fluff would make no sense. Bah, I'll just stick with my converted talos...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree that dark eldar desperately need an infiltrating unit.

Other than that, if the unit choices that they HAVE are fixed, that would help immensely. And move warp beasts to fast attack instead of being part of a wych choice. That'd be wonderful.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    54 (x2)

I can see this happening.
    talos will get FOF (well fleet of skimmer at least) in much the same respect as the chaos scorpion type thing the name escapes me at the mo, it won't be allowed to shoot instead it can FOF, i also imagine the weapon on talos will be upgraded too for more firepower, making it harder for us to decide to get into HTH asap or move and shoot.

scourges will lose the lances, or they will get considerably cheaper, one of the two, their price will fall alot to bring them into line with other armies prices.

mandrakes will get rending or an upgrade of seargeants and/or weapons.

reavers will get rending on the charge (got a feeling this will be the main change)

hellions will change to assualt weapons allowing them to shoot and charge, wether this is a special rule for them or their weapons will change to assualt.
    however i still think they will retain their splinter rifles(hellglaives) and be allowed to rapid fire if they so wish too.

as for new units i would expect them.
    GW have an opening to add slaves, so we may see more deranged and mutilated squads since it would be more fluffy to use these.

Don't take my word for this though, its more likely that what i have mentioned above will indeed happen, its a quick fix to the army, then GW can add new squads.
    However rumour has it GW is reworking the army from the ground up so the only likely squads to stay in a revamp are:
    incubi, lords (wyches aswell) warriors, raider squads(rumoured hit and run) wyches and ravagers, everything else is likely to be scrapped if they redo the army from scratch. Oh forgot reavers someone in warseer saw the models there suppose to look like greengoblin's from spider man.

This is all specualtion though, at this stage anything can happen
    Id just love some cool amazing models also for the glass hammer theme to stay.
    at least we know GW will make DE hard to play, it might take more work than usual, after all DE is an unusual army, it will have to be playtested quite a bit to achieve perfection.
    Last edited by dizzie; April 23rd, 2008 at 16:43.
    If you're always worried about crushing the ants beneath you...you won't be able to walk.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast