Orks and Kroot? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Orks and Kroot?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x1)

Orks and Kroot?

To make a long story short. I have a couple of boxes of Kroot lying around. And I converted a Shaper out a Lizardman Tyrant from Reaper Minis. I really like the models and the fluff and was thinking about using them as allies for my Orks. At only 8pts they're cheap, and have a decent chance of hitting something (at least compared to da boyz.) Plus they can infliltrate. And it justifies the fluff for my army as well.

My thinking was add a couple carnivore squads to infliltrate on ahead of the ladz. With 18 kroot in each squad I'm thinking, that's 36 kroot in the enemy's face right off the bat. Maybe adding a Hunter Kindred as well. Cuz no one expects sniper fire coming from orks.

Has anybody else thought of or had success by using kroot along with our green friends? At only 2 points higher than a regular boy, they seem well worth it. So thoughts, complaints, rants, chastising?

My award winning Orky tale

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x2)

although I have never used kroot myself (despite my great love for the models and their fluff), I have heard of a fair few ork players that have used the kroot to great effect. The fun thing is, because they are mercs, there isn't any fluff problems with a joint force, especially if your orks are blood axes.

I say go for it, try them out and see how they work together. I see the kroot as being an effective support for the orks while not being too overpowering or varying too much from what the ork army is meant to be. Do watch out for the future though, as GW seems to be moving towards eradicating multiple codexes for armies.

Try them out and tell us how it goes. Heck, I may just add a few carnivores of my own if they work well.
    Gargrimz Green Deff
    W:10 D:4 L:5

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    511 (x8)

Eh

It's really up to you. Kroot are only marginally better than your average boy, and only when infiltrated into cover. It makes the most sense to compare Kroot to shoota boyz, and they have some problems right away.

Although kroot are stronger and have higher initiative, they don't have furious charge, so on the first round of assault, the orks match their strength and initiative. Kroot also don't have armor, have one less attack on their profile, don't benefit from fearlessness when in large groups, don't have special weapons (krootoxes are garbage), and although kroot hounds help even up the odds in close combat, the orks are still superior because of their nobz, and ability to use a powerklaw. Shoota boyz also get two shots every turn, while kroot have rapid fire weapons.

To sum up: shoota boy orks are superior to kroot in close combat, at least as good during the shooting phase, and they're two points cheaper as well. There are only three advantages to using kroot:

1. Longer shooting range (although this is counteracted by their lack of special weapons, and rapid fire weapons).

2. The ability to infiltrate.

3. Their improved cover save in jungle/forest terrain. However, this merely improves a 5+ save into a 4+ save, which is the same they'd get if they infiltrated into ruins.

All things considered, if you want to infiltrate a large number of regular troops, then Kroot aren't a bad choice, since kommandos are more expensive, and better used as anti-armor, or as a sneak attack from the board edge (when combined with Snikkrot). However, if you want your troops to be as effective as possible, then Shoota boyz are generally a better choice, since they have two shots, two base attacks, fearlessness, and the ability to contain a powerklaw.

That being said, back when I played as Tau, I loved Kroot. They simply do more for Tau than they could ever do for the Orks.
    "Any job worth doing, is worth doing with a powerklaw."
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru.../mynameisgrax/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x2)

I know the kroot are mercenaries, but didn't the Orks try to wipe them out? It seems odd that they'd side with the orks, I suppose you'd have to make up fluff about how the orks spared them or something

go for it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Seanchadith View Post
    I know the kroot are mercenaries, but didn't the Orks try to wipe them out? It seems odd that they'd side with the orks, I suppose you'd have to make up fluff about how the orks spared them or something

I think your refering to the Dakka war, but that was only one Ork warband.

My fluff justifies the need for mercs. My warband was almost wiped out so to replenish they're numbers they use mercanaries, rather than simply fielding more grots. Plus the kroot have no problem working with orks bc they're always fighting someone: so more DNA and money.

"Der more killy den grots and don't complain when dey get ta krump sumfing. And dey don't need no ladz ta watch over dem wif grot prods. And dey eat da humies and da eldar, and da spikey ladz, and da buggies. Dat's dead 'ard if you ask me. You try eatin one of dem spikey boyz whole! Gave me da squig squirts somefing awfull last time i tried it... Yep, dem kroot boyz iz all right."
    -My Warboss, Big Nooreg Da Tyrant on his kroot mercs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Squig Squirts" wins the thread.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x1)

Yes, I figured chaos space marines would cause digestion problems... I first wanted to make a comment about them being spicy, but a joke about the orky equivelent of dieareah(???) was too good not to pass up...

+ Reply to Thread