to twinlink or not to twinlink that is my question - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

to twinlink or not to twinlink that is my question

So my friend who used to play tau helped me make my crisis suits and I was wondering if twinlinking would be good since all my crisis suits have no twinlink just targeting arrays. I know a High BS is good and all but wouldn't twinlinking be just as good. Any ways I haven't been playing tau for very long so just asking around is twinlinking good or bad to have.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    299 (x7)

High BS is good and twinlinking is basically increasing the BS.

If you're taking shas'vre or team leaders I would give them targeting arrays and hard wired multitracker, and not twinlink the weapons. If you're taking an elite shas'ui then you can twinlink a plasma rifle or twinlink a missile pod, and usually buy a targeting array as well. Or you take plasma, missile, and a multitracker.

It's up to you.
    Quote Originally Posted by rikimaru View Post
    You have the option for instance of infiltrating, outflanking, pillboxing, or anti assault.

And that's just with the Kroot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like to take both.

If I want to hit something I WANT to hit something. therefore increased BS AND a reroll to hit is the way I go. you want that rhino full of marines dead.....hit it with a BS4 twin linked missle pod!! You want that assualt squad to die?? Rapid fire it with Twin Linked plasma rifles.

I take a team of deathrains (twin linked missile pods and Targeting array) and a team of burning eye's (twin linked plasma rifles and targeting arrays) and they hit pretty much every time.

Twin Linking AND targeting array....its the only way to be sure!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I played dark eldar recently and my Death Rains (TL missle Pod and TA) saved the day by taking out their transports. BS4 to hits with re-roll and two shots per team member? Yes please!

If you can get them in a good position these mobile artilary are great for light transports and providing extra support in attacking units.
    War is coming, arm your pets!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanx guys twinlinking and targeting array sounds pretty cheap but I'm a cheap man

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Personally, I must say that I find twin lining to be completely worthless. I prefer to get two weapons and a multi-tracker, and in the case of Broadsides, a targeting array.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    724 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by nemesis.imperialis View Post
    Personally, I must say that I find twin lining to be completely worthless. I prefer to get two weapons and a multi-tracker, and in the case of Broadsides, a targeting array.
    Right I am back after installing a whole new hard drive after the last one suffered a total catastrophic meltdown.;?

So back to business. How can a re-roll of a miss be completely worthless dude. If the re-roll hits it has been worthwhile, thus it is not worthless. Deathrains with TA's are absolutely lethal, there is very little else in the game with an as near to dammit perfect hit rate and that is very worthwhile.
    When that Rhino, Waveserpent or Trukk etc is getting close with its cargo of dangerous troops then that successful re-roll may just save your bacon.
    I have long been of the mind that basic XV8's are compromised when taking two weapons and multi, purely because they are restricted to BS3 and that means 50% of your shots are missing on average. I would much rather optimise the weapons on an XV8 and the optimal load-out for a normal elite level XV8 is the Deathrain TA.
    Last edited by Rikimaru; May 12th, 2008 at 01:35.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    443 (x8)

I mostly agree with riki on this one. XV-8's are way more efficient when specialized. Deathrains and Burning Eyes, FTW.

But I have been toying with the idea of dropping Stealth's so that my elite choices would be one team each of Deathrains, Burning Eyes, and Fireknives...
    "It takes a vast amount of self control to be this dangerous."
    ---Ogvai Ogvai Helmshrot, Jarl of Tra, VI Legion Astartes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    120 (x2)

i do like twin linked plasmas. i have a centurion outfit commander (with the plasma twinlinked), my 2 broadside teams of 2 (the team leader of each takes the plasma option), and 1 burning eye. thats 3 bs4 tl plasmas, and one bs 5 tl plasma in my 1000 points list. thats for shooting terminators, or marines. the aforementioned broadside teams can shoot at 4 targets (probably tanks and transports) per turn at bs4 twinlinked (i take targeting arrays for the mandatory support system, team leader has hw target lock.) in total thats 4 twinlinked plasmas, 4 twinlinked rails

this leaves little to be desired for firing at units my fire warriors cannot handle (vehicles & low armour saves). i can see the utility of missile pods, and the allure deathrains. they're no doubt very useful units which really earn their points. but i'm not too hot about its lack of ap. this is just a preference of mine. on top of that, im not the biggest fan of projectile weapons (railguns being a special case) again personal preference.

Striving for the right Ravenscraig's Avatar
    In exile on Earth - currently in Glasgow, Scotland
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    144 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by psichotykwyrm View Post
    I mostly agree with riki on this one. XV-8's are way more efficient when specialized. Deathrains and Burning Eyes, FTW.

But I have been toying with the idea of dropping Stealth's so that my elite choices would be one team each of Deathrains, Burning Eyes, and Fireknives...
    Aaah, but I guess that all depends on how you define efficiency. Having just played a fairly demanding, but generally pretty friendly, tournie (hardly GT standard but competive nonetheless) I'll be dropping my experiment with Stealths (they never got anything like their points back in any of the 4 games played) and going back to XV8s. Whilst I used to run 3 x 2 TA Deathrains, I'm now looking at ways to run 3 x 1 TA Fireknife Tm Ld and 2 TA Deathrains - the FKs give that little, but vital, harder edge and couple of extra shots. I think this should suit (no pun intended!) my perceived needs much better.

~ Raven ~
    Last edited by Ravenscraig; May 12th, 2008 at 16:04.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast