Tau In Close Combat - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, I know what you're all saying. Am I crazy? Tau *aren't* meant to be in close combat - they die in close combat, and anyone letting them in assault is just asking to be butchered... right?

Well... sort of. Most if not all times Tau wind up in combat, its pretty much a disaster for the Greater good, but sometimes it can be rather neat.

When an average Tau unit winds up in combat with an average unit of pretty much any other race, its doomed unless saved by some truly freaky dice rolls. No argument there.

However... you know the really irritating times that there's just *one* marine left from a unit you've devastated with pulse-fire, and it charges in and cuts its way through one of your units, bit by painful bit?

Try 'accidentally leaving' your Stealth suits in front of your other troops, bunched together if they're in no danger of being templated (or even if they are, if the template weapon is over 18" away and you're feeling lucky). He has to charge the closest unengaged model, which surprise surprise are the Stealth suits... who always count as being in cover when charged, because of their stealth armour, and have two attacks each. I've lost count of the number of times my Stealth suits have beaten up a stray marine who charged into them - it definitely helps clean up the area.

Another thing to consider is the nice little device known as the 'EMP grenade'. If you manage to get close enough to a tank to do this, charge in the friendly little Tau unit carrying them... and if they hit, you glance on 4-5, and penetrate on 6. It doesn't take a very big unit to pull this off, and it can result in some *very* frustrated Land Raider commanders, to say the least.

Just a few thoughts on that heavy-duty close combat race we all know and love - the Tau.

-Shas'o Vior'la Forann Kais Mesme

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Eerm, yeah. I like the idea of stealth suits but...

The survivour of a marine squad is (almost) always the veteran sarg. with power weapon. Don't charge him cause he will cut through your troops lots.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nono, never *charge* him. If you charge him, he hits first because you don't get your cover advantage.

And since the stealth squad strikes first, just cross your fingers, and try to set them up so he has to get in base with as many as possible.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd still prefer to use my 12" total move to get out of assault range and blast them. The survivour is always a nasty guy and tau are at 4+ to hit, 5+ to wound then he gets a 3+ save. This means that 1 in 18 hits will kill him. The odds aren't for you on this one, and he'll only charge into BtB with one model, however you set it up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd still prefer to use my 12" total move to get out of assault range and blast them. The survivour is always a nasty guy and tau are at 4+ to hit, 5+ to wound then he gets a 3+ save. This means that 1 in 18 hits will kill him. The odds aren't for you on this one, and he'll only charge into BtB with one model, however you set it up.
    <shrugs> I admit that things are a little different for people with power weapons - I wasn&#39;t referring to them with the tactic as such. One the other hand, call him fool if you want, but I have known my opponent to charge into base with two (admittedly when the walls got in the way of any other approach, but its the thought that counts)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dont forget, Photon grenades cancel out any charging bonus for the enemy, meaning less attacks from them. At only one point per model, it may save enough warriors to make a difference. Try it, and the enemy might be surprised.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With the new assault rules, all photon grenades do is encourage the enemy to shoot you before they charge. New assault removes the usefulness of p. grenades

Nostromino

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Put quite simply:Tau iin close combat SUCK&#33;&#33; If there is to be any close combat it should be done by a squad of Kroot, which for me are a mandatory component of any Tau army. Tau NO, Kroot YES. No questions asked.

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Give a f*ck about the fact of charging or not...
    If the chance bids itself it&#39;s a choice up to you.
    If possible make a controlled fallback while firing you weapons... have some of the pinning guns in each squad.
    If it happens that you are in risk of being charged, it is better to charge them than to be charged yourself... at least you&#39;ll get the extra attack and it might be decisive... Sacrifice one unit for the better good of the rest of the army right?
    check out my blog: DRAGONSLAYERO

HEY!
    I WAS IN THE IMPERIAL (Norwegian) GUARD!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by Nostromino@Sep 9 2003, 15:48
    With the new assault rules, all photon grenades do is encourage the enemy to shoot you before they charge. New assault removes the usefulness of p. grenades

Nostromino
    Dont tell him you have them till he charges, then he will have wasted a turn of of not shooting so he can get the close combat attacks.
    &lt;a href=&quot;http://www.liquidgeneration.com&quot; target=&quot;_blank&quot;&gt;&lt;img

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast