Lash whip and bone sword opinions - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lash whip and bone sword opinions

What is your opinion of the lash whip and bone sword for the tyrant.

Last edited by Akruze; May 15th, 2008 at 19:39.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    128 (x4)

Many units that the Hive Tyrant gets into close combat with won't have multiple attacks. In addition, the lash whip only affects enemy models in base-to-base contact, not all models directing attacks at the Tyrant. The bone sword/lashwhip combo is more expensive than a pair of scything talons, and does not confer an additional attack. The token Catalyst ability, though it can be handy, isn't very practical as I expect your Hive Tyrant will be equipped with wings and ahead of the majority of your force.

The points difference isn't great, so if you want to use it, good for you. Many players will prefer to save the points and have the reliable extra attack.
    My gaming group's new motto: That army you're using is overpowered because it hurts my guys, codex is broken and needs a rewrite.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was just interested. I don't have a tyrant yet, and don't plan on using the lash whip/ bone sword when I get one. Just wondering if anyone finds the weapons useful.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In my local game shop, there is a guy who runs a bone sword/lash whip combo. I cannot say I have ever seen him use the bone sword catalyst effect to any fruition and the lash whip is easily overcome by assaulting the tyrant guard in place of the tyrant. I do not see it as a good build. I have to agree that points are better spent elsewhere.

TL-Devourers on a tyrant. That is the way to go. If you insist on a CC tyrant then scything talons are the best bet. Of course, this is all just strictly MY opinion.

Charitably Tables People MVBrandt's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    196 (x5)

Even on a CC Tyrant, TL-Devourers are the better option. With wings, you will still dictate the charge. You want to be able to shoot 12 twin-linked living ammo shots at S5 and BS4, then charge and still have at least 4 attacks on the charge that are S6, ignore armor, and are WS5 (alternately, you could be WS6 and subtract one from your target's weapon skill as well with toxic miasma).

Twin scything talons pigeonholes you and you get a couple of extra attacks wee. The math works in favor of the tl-dev tyrant, and there are more situations where he's useful to boot.

Lash Whip and Bone Sword are terrifically bad, in my opinion and the opinion of most. Reasons are generally already given. They look cool, though.
    Nids & Guard
    GMail = MVBrandt

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    49 (x1)

I would say magnetize them (if you want to go to that much trouble) for a few reasons.

They are, in my opinion, the best looking weapons in the tyranid army, except maybe crushing claws (I hate it that the awesome looking weapons are not very good)

They can come in handy. For example, I was playing my friend's space wolf army and had a winged HT with 2 ST and the LW/BS combo. I assaulted his lord/retinue which consisted of terminators. First turn I killed 2 of them (4 termies and lord), but I got thunder hammered. Next round, my tyrant reeling from the blow, he had to attack at I 1. He subsequently got killed. BUT, the catalyst kept him alive to kill the remaining two termies wound the lord enought to e easily killed later. While, this probably won't happen much, it is pretty fun when it does.

In general, I think that the Lash whip and Bonesword are great for fun games, where you feel confident with your army. Otherwise, run devs or ST.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I do get a tyrant I plan to use a venom cannon, scything talons, a retinue of 3 guards, and a few other biomorphs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    156 (x3)

I'd only ever consider the LW/BS for the bone sword ability. And, as stated above, it's not going to be used often anyway.

IMHO don't "diversify" your tyrant. If you want a walking, shooting tyrant, go with VC/BS combo. Barbed Strangler in place of talons will do a whole lot more.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    31 (x2)

I actually use the Lashwhip & Bonesword. Sure, its a bit more expensive, and yes, I lose an attack.
    I use my flying HT as a counter measure against other CC focused units, like Kohrne Beserkers, random orks and stuff that is able to threaten my renders.
    This guy, flying alongside Hormies and/or Gargoyles are quite able to attack creatures hiding in buildings, effectively negating their cover bonus because of the Bonesword ability. Oh, and the Bonesword ability is great VS things that strike faster they you do, so you can use it also against those annoying Bashees, destroying them with great certainty with a normal hormie brood.

Oh, and it has saved my HT more than once from those hidden power fists or independant characters
    Tyranids Win [31]/ Draw [0]/Lost [0]
    Daemon Hunters Win [17]/ Draw [2]/ Lost [1]
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...t&uniqueid=232

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TamCoan View Post

IMHO don't "diversify" your tyrant. If you want a walking, shooting tyrant, go with VC/BS combo. Barbed Strangler in place of talons will do a whole lot more.
    The reason for the talons is that if I am going to use a guard, I might as well try for some melee, and the scything talons help with the extra attack. If I were to get a winged tyrant, than yes the BS/VC would by the highest on my list.

+ Reply to Thread