Elite Fex load-out - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    128 (x3)

Elite Fex load-out

Elite Fex load-out

I’ve chosen to give my Elite Carnifex the following upgrades: Adrenal Glands (WS), Spine Banks, Scything Talons, and TL-Devourer [112pts].

I found when I play tested Elite Carnifex, that when I gave them only close combat biomorphs, they weren’t very effective. But when I gave them some ranged capability too, they where more threatening and achieved much more.

In the configuration I have chosen, they get 4x 18” shots and 2x 12” shots all at S6. Although the AP of the shots is rubbish, S6 still wounds a MEQ on 2+, can damage vehicle armour up to 12, and is very useful against hordes.

Being Monstrous Creatures, the increased WS and extra Attack is enough to make them more of a threat in Assaults.

I’ll be using them in Nidzilla and Apocalypse lists, and am interested to see what you guys think of this configuration.

Lord Ramon

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yup I like that look. No enhanced senses will be rough, but with everything twin-linked it should balance it out a bit. You could always drop the Scything Talons for another set of Twin-Linked Devourers at 114pts.

I think I would pay the 2 extra points for the second set of Twin-Linked Devourers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

128 (x4)

A very popular set of variants are:
    Carnifex with two sets TL Devourer, enhanced senses.
    Carnifex with two sets TL Devourer, spine banks.

The TL Devourers get expensive, but the amount of pain they can put out is just heinous. And by purchasing another set of TL Devourers you're getting 4 more S6 shots that are effective at range, and at least a turn before you could assault. More TL Devourers make the carnifex have a much bigger footprint on the battlefield, and 8 re-rolling, re-wounding S6 shots can make a major dent in most squads.
    My gaming group's new motto: That army you're using is overpowered because it hurts my guys, codex is broken and needs a rewrite.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

156 (x3)

Something I've learned with tyranids. Never try to mix and match "types" with any of your units. If you want a CC unit, equipt it with only CC biomorphs. If you want shooting, only equipt with shooting biomorphs.

Same holds true for any carnifex. A half-cc/half-ranged fex will never do as good as a full ranged fex. Plus you can still assault with pretty much the same effect!

I think you can get 2x tw-dev and enhanced senses and still make it an elite?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Psst! TamCoan! it's written in the post right above of yours but yeah, you can, with no more upgrades.

What intrigues me is the idea of exchanging ES for spine banks. Does it really pay off? does the twin-linking make the abysmal BS of the Carnifex tolerable? (I'm looking for insight b/c I have only tested the ES-twin linked devourer as far as elite carnifices goes, and the possibility of using spine banks doesn't sound that bad, right now).
    Last edited by kalender; May 19th, 2008 at 18:35.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

156 (x3)

Twin linking more than makes up for the lower BS score. What's not to love about tl-dev's rerolls on to-hit and to-wound?!?

With a BS of 3, you're hitting 50% of the time. Rerolling the misses should give you an average hit-rate of about 75%.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    103 (x5)

I've tried and tried in the past, but honestly Carnifexs just plain are not good at assault, especially when 'balanced out' for the most effectiveness just go for the standard dakka fex. It's typical but it works by far the best.

and on a side not, I'm not really sure if WS 3 would actually do anything at all in assualts. I mean against anything WS 4 and above it does nothing, I can't really see WS 3 being useful, and also every round in CC with your fex means one less round of 8 ,strength 6 re - roll hit , re-roll wound shots.

Watcher In The Sky Beardy_Wierdy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

127 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by kalender View Post
    What intrigues me is the idea of exchanging ES for spine banks. Does it really pay off? does the twin-linking make the abysmal BS of the Carnifex tolerable?

Not sure how the maths works for BS2 twin-linked stuff, I think it is ALMOST as good as BS3, but not actually.

Personally I would go for Enhanced Senses even with twin-linked gear, having a lot of shots is even better when they are accurate shots.
    The name refers to facial hair, not playing style.

Quote Originally Posted by A news vendor's stand, London, June 1940
    French sign peace treaty: we're in the finals!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

128 (x3)

Thanks for the feedback chaps.

I looked very carefully at the 2x TL-Devourer set up, and tried it out a few times. My problem was, that to use the Devourers puts me quite close to the enemy, and often my Fexes would end up in Assaults. With only having its base WS and number of Attacks, they didn't perform too well.

So this is why I tried the version with Adrenal Glands (WS), Scything Talons and 1x TL-Devourer. It was then that I realised that I could use Spine Banks to add some more shooting attackings at high strength. The additional WS and Talons definately makes a difference, mainly prevent WS4 hitting me on 3s.

TamCoan points out that mix and match isn't a good idea. In an ideal world I totally agree with that, however I've found that in a 'take on all comers' tourney style list, sometimes general purpose can be extremely useful.

I guess this very much depends on the rest of the list to. I usually play with shooty Warriors, usually 2-3 Zoanthropes, 1-2 Sniper Fex and a shooty Winged Tyrant, so maybe I don't need as much firepower from my Elite Fexes.

Maths:

BS2 hits 33.33% of the time, a re-roll adds another 22.22% = 55.55%
    BS3 hits 50% of the time, a re-roll adds another 25% = 75%.
    So BS3 is significantly better.

2x TL-Devourers = 8 shots. With BS3 = 6 hits, with BS2 = 4.5 hits.

Devourers have Living Ammunition too, though this really only makes a difference against T5+ targets. Spine Banks shooting has a marginally better AP than the Devourers, but obviously only have a very short range.

I'll give the 2x Devourer set up a few more tries, and my set up a few more too.

Lord Ramon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

128 (x4)

Ah, but did that carnifex hold the enemy unit in close combat and slay a few enemies while it was at it? Carnifex are fearless and will squash most opposition, so even if it was a squad of marines it should have held its own well.

Also, the fex getting stuck in close combat blocks LOS and lets your CC units get in, so it's not all bad, right?
    My gaming group's new motto: That army you're using is overpowered because it hurts my guys, codex is broken and needs a rewrite.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast