Starting an Orky Apocalypse army - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Starting an Orky Apocalypse army

So I was thinking about starting a new army, and managed to stumble upon guides on how to build several of the apocalypse ork models. I wanted to also remove some of the vehicles/etc to play normal games aswell. My goal is to build my apocalypse vehicles from scratch (And ultimately a stompa/gargant!)

So my question would be, what would be a good place to start? I figured I'd begin with the 'foundation' of a 1000 point army, then build up.. Keep in mind that this army is intended to be more of a fun project than a serious tournament army, but I'd like to be able to win a few games, aswell!

Edit: So after looking at the models on the GW site, I know for a fact that I'd want my HQ to be a Big Mekk w/ Shokk Gun.. Though I'm not sure if there are rules/regulations on creating a special character, because I'd like to have some fluff behind my army. I also want to get a weirdboy or two, and some Loota/Burna boys (and a couple of looted Leman Russ tanks to boot!). The Deffkopta models look sick, but I'm not sure if they're strategically sound, and I defiantly want tons of grotz! And definatly a battlewagon thrown in there for good measure.

Edit: After flipping through my ork codex.. I realized that I cannot find rules on the Big Mekk w/ Shokk Guns... OR Weirdboyz, or Deffkoptaz. Is there a new codex or some errata that I'm missing?

Edit Edit: I had the old codex. Just got the new one. What are the rules on Madboyz? Do I give the weirdboy a retinue of normal boyz and convert them, but use normal ork rules?

Last edited by hellkat; May 20th, 2008 at 13:46.
    2700 Pts of (40K) Nurgle/Khorne 7/16/05
    1500 Pts of Dwarves 6/11/08
    I DO LIKE A GOOD GRUMBLE!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    147 (x5)

Hey, well I'm new to Orks, but all i can say is definately get Stompas, Both the normal and Mek variety are amazing! A guy at my club has one of each (scratch built) and theyre godly!!
    omgitsduane:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Archnomad
    Well I picked up my first model when I was 7.

I misunderstood that... ALOT

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    511 (x8)

Everyday orks

If you're just starting, I'd definitely start a 1000 point army, and build up from there. The problem with Stompas, Gargants and Skullhammas are you don't get to use them on a day to day basis.

If you're interested in Apocalypse, then orks are a nice army, since you use the same troops in the high point games that you use in the low point games. I wouldn't take grotts though. They aren't good at all anymore, and regular ork boyz got much cheaper, making grotts all but useless.

I'd figure out what you want your army to be like, and go from there. I'd definitely pick up a lot of boyz though, and the easiest to get a lot without paying too much is to shop on ebay, or look for someone near you who's looking to sell his army. Decide if you want to run them on foot or in trukks, because you'll probably want at least 3 trukks, if you're going to use any. Elites are also nice, like lootas/burnas/tankbustas, and looted wagon or battle wagon transports are nice (especially for burnas and tankbustas). You'll probably also need at least one unit of nobz, but you should just convert them out of regular boyz, or warbikes. I wouldn't get expensive metal troops/walkers until you're certain what you want though, or you're ready to convert them out of spare parts (they cost way too much money otherwise).

I'm afraid there isn't an actual profile for madboyz, and it's considered more of an 'appearance' thing. Just make up boyz to look like madboyz, and put them with the weirdboy. Just be sure to always upgrade the weirdboy to a warp 'ead, and give him as large a retinue as possible, at least 20-30 boyz.

Good luck!
    "Any job worth doing, is worth doing with a powerklaw."
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru.../mynameisgrax/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are there any sites with plans for the ork titans?
    2700 Pts of (40K) Nurgle/Khorne 7/16/05
    1500 Pts of Dwarves 6/11/08
    I DO LIKE A GOOD GRUMBLE!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    189 (x8)

No, gargantz and stompaz are build the way you see fit, there isn't really a fixed look for these, as for the orks in apocalypse I'd look at fielding as many of the datasheets as you can.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hellkat View Post
    Are there any sites with plans for the ork titans?
    You may check out this thread.
    "Fear not and look up to the sky for salvation, for we have entered orbit."
    Blood Angels 2nd Grail Guard Company

+ Reply to Thread