Welcome to Librarium Online!
Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!
Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!
My first army was a true Eldar Swordwind, using the old Craftworld Eldar supplement. When the new Codex came out I put the Eldar in the case and moved on to pastures new (I know, I know I hear you cry, how could you, you traitor, Mon-Keigh sympathiser etc).
Now I am thinking of re-instating them.
So, here is the challenge.
i) 1500 points
ii) Must be a real Swordwind (all aspect warriors)
iii) Should aim to feature every Eldar aspect
iv) You choose which aspect is the most senior and hence the HQ build (thinking Autarchs here)
v) Must be able to hold there own in a fight
vi) Must keep 5th edition rules in mind
Item (v) is less important than good fluff (I'm a stickler for fluff first, power gaming dead last).
So, who amongst you experienced Eldar players is up to the challenge?
There's rep for those amongst you who rise to the challenge (I know it's not much of a reward, but hey, it's the best I can do).
*the grass before you wiggles to reveal a hidden alaitoc ranger*
I will answer Khaine's call! yes i think we can use transports as biel tan uses mass wave serpents along with the avatar to dump aspect warriors onto the enemy.
Wait if only aspects can be used and each type must be represented the basic form of the army is set.
For example the fast attack and elite FOC choices are set.
Elite: Dragons, Banshees, Scorps
Fast Attakc: Spears, Hawks, Spiders
Choices are just if they're mounted or not.
Troops 2x DA at least
Heavy 1x Reapsers at least
HQ 1x Autarch at least.
Actually once you've added all the required units I think you'll only be able to fiddle a little with how they're equipped.
I'm all in for this one. I'm on may way to 2000 points of pure Aspect Warriors. Last night i completed my first unit of Scorpions and a full squad of Dire Avengers is next in line.
No solid list yet but i don't think i need one. I'm just going to do full squads of everything, although i think i will give the spears a miss. Mainly because i'm really keen on the idea of 20 swooping hawks with an Autarch in support.
I want to stay away from the mech eldar (classic swordwind) force but i will have a couple of transports. A falcon (dragons go here) and a wave serpent (banshees go here). For some ultra mobile hard hitting reserves.
Looking at at least 30 dire avengers with an avatar close by. 2 units of reapers, infiltarting scorpions, massive flock of hawks, spiders, and the mobile reserve of banshees and dragons.
All Aspect baby
*appears from the webway*
The fate shall direct thus force, as it is almost impossible to use such army for 1500.
The problem is having all aspects. The swordwind uses the aspects it needs for particular mission, not just all only to have them.
The most noble and elder aspect are Dire Avengers of Asurmen. And it seems that taking two of these aspect squads will cause the best course of action.
And yet, to declare the future of your army, you should say if it was to be outshooting monkeigh or tearing them apart with blades.
And remember, true templeguard army of swordwind uses transports and always take Exarches to the battle.
If you want to have a foot-based Biel-Tan army (as it is NOT the Swordwind, the Swordwind is sudden serpent strike) and you don't want Jetbikes (SS), the Warp Spiders should fit better than Hawks, both for fluff (as Spiders are rare, but Hawks are even rarer) and efficiency.
And it would be fluffy to have either two autarchs or autarch & farseer.
Though Biel-Tan is not ghostwarrior craftworld, so big army might contain Wraithlrod... a spiritwalker who was once powerful Warrior. Doesn't it fit?
Last edited by Dire; May 29th, 2008 at 12:45.
If they're all going in transports, its going to be difficult to include every aspect at 1500 points. I've had a quick go and went way over the limit without including fire dragons, hawks or warp spiders! Maybe max size squads wasnt the best idea but I still think you'll struggle.
2000 points however...
EDIT: Does the swordwind usually include an Avatar? I remember there was the court of the young king or something that biel-tan used to have, is this it?
Having every aspect at full squad size and no exarch in a naked wave serpent for the troops and elites brings you to exactly 2000 but without any HQ choice and a very fragile force at that. We have to have the right aspect for the right job but that doen't mean we need to fill the tool chest with 6 types of hammer and 3 types of saws. Many of the aspects target the same things they just go about it differently.
- Dire Avengers are a must for any Swordwind force, they are a well rounded infantry killer but it is depressing going against marines with them. A full squad with bladestorm on average will kill about 3 marines. Suggest using a Farseer with them w/ doom & guide. I personally dont use a farseer as he does not fit my fluff and I hate popping my own HQ.
If you would like a fluffy army list I can help there too but this should give you a decent base to work from.
- Fire dragons, Banshees, and shining spears are all fabulous marine killers and the dragons and can double as tank hunters when in a WS and are even good at taking out GEQ with that dragons breath flamer, great fun to watch 12 guardsmen fry from your exarch alone. Nothing demoralises a SM commander faster than these wonderful screaming ladies tearing through their power armor, they work wonders with a doomed target. Shining spears are great on the charge but they fall apart is subsequent rounds, they need an exarch with withdraw to keep charging back in, also advisable to take an autarch with a bike and lance with them. My personal favorites are the dragons then the banshees as the spears come in too small numbers for my liking. Dark reapers also shred marines but they are of a different class, having that massive range they do not compete for targets with these other units.
- Striking scorpions and swooping hawks are good at killing GEQ but in different situations. The scorpions are very durable and can tie up any of your enemy's useful units very early in the game, this takes practice to learn where to place them. The swooping hawks are a bit odd as they can double as tank hunters with intercept and skyleap, use their range to your advantage only allowing the enemy to see small portions of this unit while you attack them.
- Warp spiders are in a catagory all their own as they do not fit into any of the previously mentioned niches. Their stronger guns mean that they can wound most infantry exactly the same giving them a much wider target opportunity. Their higher armor save means they are more durable compare to most eldar.The second jump in the assault phase is invaluable and can really be a pain in a SM player's well armored rump. Ideal shock troops. My pick for the fast attack nudging out the hard to use Spears and Hawks.
Never apologise for asking questions young seers, through asking
questions we find answers, and through those answers we gain
knowledge of ourselves and the universe around us
Meet My Autarch
I made a foot slogging BielTan army but since we need transports i'll show my mech army.
Farseer- doom, fortune, stones
10 banshees- exarch w/ executioner, warshout
6 fire dragons- exarch w/ firepike, tank hunters
6 scorpions- exarch w/ claw, shadowstrike
serpent- stones, lasers, cannon
2 X 10 avengers- exarch w/ twin catapults, bladestorm
2 X wave serpent- lances, stones
farseer with banshees, all units mounted in serpents, dragons in falcon, and scorpions infiltrate.:happy:
Wow, only up for one day and eight replies.
To add a little to the requirements.
1. There is no problem using transports, Wave Serpents yes, but Falcons no.
2. You only have to try to use as many Aspects as possible. If an Aspect doesn't fit in as there is duplication of roles for example then leave them out (for example Hawks and Warp Spiders seem to fill similar roles to me).
3. Jet Bikes are certainly out, but Shining Spears are obviously in.
4. The Avatar - Hmmm. I loved the old Craftworld Codex that included the Court of the Young King - great fluff wise. But on his own, I'm not so sure.
5. Wraithlords are a long shot - could be the 'tomb' of a great Aspect Warrior. But only 1 would be allowed.
With this in mind, can anyone provide a sample army list?