SM Tank-hunting with Nids - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SM Tank-hunting with Nids

Hello LO.

I guess this is my first post here, so greetings.

I'll cut right to the chase. I'm a fairly new nids player but I've built up a good amount of them over the past year. I've almost exclusively been playing against Marines.

I've found an effective solution for most of my opponents units and nids have a way of muddling a lot of conventional strategy but now that I'm moving towards playing 2000pt games I'm seeing a lot more of my opponents armor.

Stealers run anti-elite taking out the nasty command squads. Lictors and raveners usually work against camped out devastator squads. Hormagaunts do a pretty good job of screening LOS, tying up first line of defence and sometimes do pretty good against a vanilla marine squad.

Right now I'm using a CC tyrant w/guard and warp blast, and another tyrant with BS and TL Devs. Warrior squads have deathspitters and with one VC.

I try to focus most of my MC fire on the rhinos and predators. I figure glances and eventually I'll roll a 6, plus crew stunned or vehicle immobilized aren't half bad, and anything being shot at is going to move right?. As far as destroying those pesky land raiders I'm pretty stuck on it.

I've heard several strategies on tank hunting, dropping lictors at the rear is hard because of their reliance on area terrain. The last few times I played I had some sucess with the concentrated warp blast. I was thinking about buying some zoanthropes to bulk up my tank-hunting ability but I imaine they are pretty big targets.

All tips and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wow nids dont realy have much in the means of tank hunting do they. Oh well looks like zoaps are the best option i could find, even thought they practicaly scream to all your enemy units (shoot me, shoot me). anyways back on point, yeah looks like deep striking them is your best bet.
    "stupid overtime zombie virus."
    "I'm glad that worked. Those would have been horrible last words."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    425 (x7)

Ive played almost exclusivly against eldar and marines with my nid force. I I always field two zoanthropes (sometimes 3) with warp blast and I can honestly say ive never played a game where all of them have been killed. They are resiliant little blighters and you have to be really lucky with your rolls to kill one so being a fire magnet is not a problem for these guys. Their problem is that pesky BS. Its shocking! They nearly always miss. For high armoured vehicles Id say stick with your deathspitter and venom cannon on a fex, get some CC elite fex's, or rend the hell out of them!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    36 (x1)

sadly with the exception of warp blast the ninds are extremely light on anti tank firepower..light a in it doesn't really exist

a few weapons can cause enough damage to a sm tank, especially from the front

The nids answer to this is simple, attack the infantry, and leave the tanks till you can get into Close combat with a fex or tyrant.

Your opponent will either have so much armour that he has less troops than needed or he will have little armour and they will not be as much threats

I got lost on the road of life

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your opponent will either have so much armour that he has less troops than needed or he will have little armour and they will not be as much threats
    So true; I play against Marines more than 50% of the time - and the player loves his tanks. I have a winged Hive Tyrant that has two sets of twin-linked Devourers who just annihilates infantry before assaulting vehicles (not in the same turn, of course) and it does it just fine.

My Carnifexes haven't had much luck with shooting the crap out of them though - nor getting near enough.

Zoanthropes aren't fantastic - they get lascannoned a lot, which hurts (minimal invulnerable save) but they make short work of Dreadnoughts and Rhinos.
    Last edited by MindWar; May 30th, 2008 at 13:02. Reason: Hasty fool I am

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    70 (x1)

i think you should also look at biovores with bioacid. they have the longest range out of all the nids and they get 2D6+3 for penetration. it may not seem like much but i've blasted predators easily, especially when you have 3 of them firing a total of 9 mines.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

true. totally ignored biovores lol never really use them. the range would be extremely useful, especially if the tanks have lascannons or other nasties with long range.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    128 (x4)

The five weapons that deal best with enemy tanks, in no particular order, are: Venom Cannon, Barbed Strangler, Warp Blast (focused), Monstrous Creature CC attacks, and Rending attacks.

These are pretty much the only options available to you. Personally I am against fighting tanks with bio-acids spore mines, as 2d6+3 is very random, and you don't get many shots.

A carnifex with a Venom cannon will get 2 S10 shots, one with a barbed strangler will get one s8 shot that can penetrate. I think these are the most reliable ways of taking out enemy armour from range, as the carnifex is a very durable weapons platform and will be putting out the most shots at the greatest range per turn.

Venom cannons on Tyrants are also a fairly viable option.

As has been mentioned, missing with Zoanthropes' focused warp blast can be a problem. And also, getting two wounds on a 2+ armour save is tricky, unless you're using AP 2 weaponry. Be sure to keep your Zoanthropes within synapse range so they don't get insta-killed.

Monstrous creature CC attacks work wonderfully, not much can stand in the way of a kitted out CC carnifex, unfortunately getting said carnifex into close combat is another story entirely.

And when worst comes to worst, you can hope that a few lucky rending attacks will take out a tank.
    My gaming group's new motto: That army you're using is overpowered because it hurts my guys, codex is broken and needs a rewrite.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x2)

Try using a CC Flyrant once or twice and see how that works out. I run one that has a Venom Cannon and either rending claws or scything talons depending on how I feel. Works really well even if he only takes out the highest priority tank as that is a pretty fair point trade considering even the lowest costing tank is around 100 points.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lLonginus View Post
    The five weapons that deal best with enemy tanks, in no particular order, are: Venom Cannon, Barbed Strangler, Warp Blast (focused), Monstrous Creature CC attacks, and Rending attacks.
    Venom Cannon? the best it can do is a glancing hit. which even i 5th, it'll get a -2 on the damage table.
    "stupid overtime zombie virus."
    "I'm glad that worked. Those would have been horrible last words."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast