New Paintjob (ev.craftworld) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    129 (x8)

Alright, to get this straight: Most of my eldar army looks like crap, as i painted it a long time ago as i had just started out. (or a year after, more precisely)
    Now i feel i want a new paintjob, so i've decided to repaint it. But i can't think of a colour scheme i want... and besides i want to use the craftworld eldar rules for my army, but i don't like most of the colour schemes of the major craftworlds.

I'm looking for tips, number 1 priority is that the colour scheme is fun to paint and easy to make it look good. Number 2 is that it... well, look good.

I'd also like some craftworld tips... so if you CE players could come forth propagating for your army i would be most pleased.

May the grace of Isha be upon you.

Warhammer Fantasy: Warriors of Chaos, High Elves
    Warhammer 40k: Eldar, Space Marines, Orks

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

OK,
    Q - what army you got? which craftworld? you dont have to follow that craftworld colour scheme, but some colours look better than others on different models.

Q - how good is your painting? can you drybrush? wet blend? dry blend? do you have an airbrush? do you use inks?
    Everything you have been told is a lie!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

129 (x8)

Ok

A - I have Biel-Tan, yes i agree i use the Angels Of Retribution colours for my Dark Angels.

A - http://gallery.librarium-online.com/Space-Marines/aio
    http://gallery.librarium-online.com/Eldars/aaz (my test model of ulthwé, fun to paint and it looks damn good irl)

I've decided for ulthwé now as i like painting them and i like their special rules more than any other CW.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

OK well you appear to be using Ulthwe standard colours (Black and wraithbone) if you want any more? info just shout

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

129 (x8)

Too bad with Ulthwé it's difficult playing small games, as your HQ takes up half your army almost. unless you don't give 'em any upgrades at all. I finished painting my falcon, and it's looking d*mn sharp.

Can you give me a good sample army list of an ulthwé army? like... 800 pts.?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if you don't like the seer council as a HQ take the Avatar a bargain at 80 pts
    First things first...
    but not necessarily in that order.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

129 (x8)

According to the rules in Codex: Craftworld Eldar a seer council is compulsory.
    And i do like it, but it's a bit too unflexible. I love all seers the eldar can have...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

411 (x8)

OK firstly if you play smaller armies play 40K in 40 Mins, then HQ is none compulsory

otherwise: generaly

Guardians: these are the core of any ulthwe army they tend to be used as follows:

Defenders: Always add a warlock with conceal to these, it enhances them hugely
    either:
    as a large squad (20) without heavy weapons, rush up to your opponent and shoot him - note this tends to be a pretty appaling tactic, mostly people use marine or CSM armies, even if you do get close without loosing any guardians, you are only gonna get one round of shooting, the result is statisticaly 20 guardians drop about 3 marines, the rest of the marine/CSM squad charges you and wipes out your guardian squad although you will kill several more marines. It is better if your opponent doesnt take squads of 10 (works reasonably against Emperors children for example with squads of 6)

as a squad with a heavy weapons platform: star cannon for example wipe the floor with the powered armour troops, they end up having to trott up the field cos they can kill the star cannon without wiping out the rest of the guardian squad and that is a shooting battle they will lose, as they get close your guardians add to the fire of the star cannon and presto - all gone. in smaller battles this works with smaller guardian squads as they essentailly become just a meat shield for the star cannon, but you do run the risk of the squad routing. The tactic is at its best with star cannon as the weapons platform and you still need that warlock

Stormies:As per defenders Always add a warlock to the squad and give him enhance.

either take big squads and go for the assult (note these will not stand toe to toe with other assutl troops, use the squads in pairs or as support to other squads

or take small sqauds, (5?) and do not give them a warlock but do give them haywire - these tend to get ignored by your opponent in favour of the rest of your army which is far more impressive, but those haywire make them lethal against vehicles, the squad can also take 2 fusion guns to help

Dire avengers - I would stick to the first half of thier name, they arent worth the points, particularly when you can get black guardians far cheaper

Scouts- only really use them in larger battles, in smaller ones (the 800 points you were talking about) they are too expensive. They are effective against things that rely on high toughness to keep going (greater demons, demon princes, C'Tan and bizareley enough Avatars and wraithlords)

Elites:
    Spiders - I dont like - they seem to have a tendancy to explode when I dont want them to and against marines/Chaos/Nerons, your opponents saves will make these expensive troops ineffective

Scorpions/banshees - yes ok in 800 points I would want a unit of one of these with an Exarch. Take scorpions when you are facing hoard armies with weaker saves, take banshees when you are facing marines CSM or Necrons, scorpions really need transport, and to be honest so do banshees, however you may not be able to afford it in 800 points

Wraithguards - I dont like, too slow, need transport and really too expensive to use in battles of less than 2000 points

Fire dragons:
    OK these are short ranged shooting monster, they can take out tanks or heavy armoured infantry with impunity, problem is you have to get close, if you stick em in a transport, it tends to get shot at alot. until about a year ago I tended to use these alot, but more recently I went off em

Fast attack:
    Shining spears - forget them

Bikes - OK I play Siam Hann nowerdays, and frankly bikes suck, they are about 10 points too expensive, you can divise stratergies to use em to some degree - warlocks with singing spears and bikes use them as abaltive armour and go tank hunting, but frankly dont use em in 800 points and I would stay away from them all together in ulthwe

Hawks - I love em, but they are pants, basicall fast imperial guard troopers which cost twice as much? stay away from them, the exarch can be turned into a close combat demon, but the rest of the squad isnt up to anything and if you want close combat troops take banshees or scorpions

Vypers - yes please with a cherry on top, You gotta love these, they are cheap and damn effctive. Do not give them the standard shuriken cannon they come with but aquire a Eldar missile launcher, a bright lance or a star cannon for them, dont bother with upgrades, actually if you have only one vyper then maybe a CTM but nothing else, they are essentially disposable, investing a gazzilion points in spirit stones, holofields and uncle charlies Kevlar vest doesnt really improve their survivability much, if you got points to waste, get another vyper

HS:
    Wraithlord: OK undoubtedly good points value, if you take 3 no one will want to fight you, depends on what sort of army you want, a fluffy one or do you play to win at all costs (personnaly I havent used any for years)

Heavy weapons platforms - OK I usually take a couple of D cannon in ulthwe, although they have short range for ordinance, their capacity to wipe an entire unit is invaluable, V Cannon oul dbe usefull against certain mechanised armies if they deployed in a certain way, night spinners, without any reasonable AP value, are IMHO a waste

Reapers - excellent, take these, these and D cannon are my main HS choices for Ulthwe, they are letheal against Marines, CSM and Necons

Falcons - OK with the use of EITHER spirit stones and Holo filed or CTM they can be turned into either very resiliant or very difficult to target tanks, their weapons fit gives you loads of options, but read the entry on wave serpents and also what are you trying to create a tank or a troop transport, again read wave serpents

Prism tanks - PANTS, they only hit half the time, the gun sounds good but for a hit every other turn? not worth the points. some people use guide from a farseer to increase the hit ratio, in any other army this means you are spending 200+ points for one shot, a waste. In Ulthwe, because your Farseer is in a seer council, the points cost is even more, a criminal waste

Wave serpents.
    These are IMHO the best tank eldar have. They can take the 3 main heavy weapons of choice for the eldar (Bright lance for vehicles, star cannon for infantry and EML for both) and they take them as twin linked so you have a far better chance of hitting than any other tank. They already have a damn good field, they can take spirit tones if you are using them as transports to make them more resiliant, they can take CTM if you want to play hide the tank (in this case I tend to take them as transports for my reapers and give them Bright lances so they can take out vehicles and the reapers can take out the troops inside).

Seer councils:
    OK the crux, in the ideal world you are playing with far more than 800 points, in which case you can tool them as you want, generally the following formats apply:

mind war monsters: the use of mind war and augment gives you the oportunity to pick out and kill, at range, your opponents commanders, regardless of the bodyguard he feels so safe with. in this case it is common in lower points not to take singing spears, witchblades etc

Close combat monsters:
    Give em witch blades and singing spears, give em all the abilities that enhance their close combat (re roll saves, enhance etc) - IMHO this is not that effective, they will probably win any fight they get into due to their skills and primeraly their saves, but they are slow at killing others due to the low number of attacks

Guide - already explained my opinion of this on the section on prism tanks

minor configs:
    Singing spears: the use of a cople of singing spears gives the unit the capacity to take out vehcles, the unifor use of singing spears makes this squad a nastly little short range shooting squad

Spirit stones: do not waste points on giving a farseer 2 abilities and the capacity to do both, take a another farseer with the extra ability, only a little more expensive and gives you far more resiliance

Sooooo (gone on a bit havent I?)
    for 800 points:

2 large (20?) guardian squads with star cannon (roughly 200 points each)
    one small (start with 5 and an exarch) squad of probably banshees (roughly 150 points.
    seer council with extra warlock, (2 of the warlocks with conceal dispatched to the guardian squads) warlocks with augment and farseers with mind war, all with shuri pistols and CCW about 200 points
    Vyper with bright lance (65 points)

OK so I gone over 800, I would free up the necessary points by shrinking the guardian squads. I would also probably, depending on who I am fighting) want a little more anti armour than just a vyper with a bright lance, possibly by sacrificing more guardians, I would consider adding a second vyper or a D cannon (probably the former as the latter lacks range)

Closed Thread