5th Edition Consolidation - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    38 (x1)

5th Edition Consolidation

Maybe It seems worse to me than it does to other people but I just noticed that in 5th edition a unit that is consolidating can't consolidate into a squad which is already engaged in combat. I admittedly have very limited experience with DE having only played a few vassal games, but it wasn't at all uncommon for me to use wyches to tie up a squad or two for my lord and retinue to leapfrog between with consolidation moves.

I think this could be a problem, it will mean needing to be more careful with not wiping out squads in your own assault phase methinks. What do you guys think of it?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    225 (x6)

This is very true and its a major change as to prevent armies from "rolling up" battle lines in CC.

You can't consolidate, you can't massacre and you cannot sweep into another enemy unit - you are a sitting duck!

You will have to try and change the circumstances so the reverse will happen. I am going to try and put out "bait" and have the wyches nearby. Once the bait is "taken" and is wiped out completely the enemy unit cannot do anything but to find cover - then move in the counter-chargers.

Otherwise, you will either have to broaden your close combat attack by engaging as many separate squads as you can (I believe you can charge 2 enemy squads now, not sure though) all at once.

Yep, this is going to change our flow of battle for sure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    38 (x1)

my understanding is you still have a d6" consolidate whenever you win a combat and you CAN roll into another squad, it's just that you can't have them tied up with wyches in preparation for your lord to finish his combat which I was a fan of.

I don't expect to have to change playstyle as much as you suggest but I definitely think it will slow down some of my units a bit.

edit: oops, checked latest info, turns out you can't even consolidate into unengaged units
    Last edited by drunkspleen; June 2nd, 2008 at 16:42.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    225 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by drunkspleen View Post
    edit: oops, checked latest info, turns out you can't even consolidate into unengaged units
    Forget you ever saw that leaked pdf. There is so much that was changed that didn't make the new rule book. I would say about 40% of the leaked pdf. is correct. There is no sense in quoting it anymore.

I know what I am saying isn't matching your leaked pdf because I have it too and even I will check the real rule book before posting anything here (or I will say I don't really know). So unless you have the rule book and actually checked it then I would be extremely cautious of quoting anything that comes from a pdf.

Just my 2 cents.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    38 (x1)

yes, having seen the rule book now I'm amazed by the number of relatively small but still noteworthy tweaks they made to it, oh well, I suppose that's what happens when you work off months old information.

+ Reply to Thread