Starting A Tyranid Army - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

ReputationReputation
    29 (x2)

i've grown tired of my necrons and are starting a tyranid army

lucky me one of my friends is willing to sell me his tyranids, he played a standard army but i think i will be playing a seeding swarm army. at any rate i want to play with huge numbers of models.

in my seeding swarm army im thinking about using around 96 gaunts to swarm the enemy. i will probably start with 64 gaunts on the battlefield and the other 32 in deep strike with the "without numbers" special rule. i may divide these 32 gaunts into two units with 16 gaunts in each unit.
    i will also keep 12 or more genestealers in deep strike, probably in two different units, both units with the ferocious special rule.

im not sure about the standard warriors though, maybe i'll have two units with 4 warriors in each squad or maybe i will use 3 units of warriors with 3 in each unit. i could need some help on that topic.

one fast question; how does the exceptional size work? how many "points" of exceptional size can i put on my hive tyrant? etc etc

anyways, i will need as much help as i can get. general thoughts and tips im not sure how im supposed to mutate my carnifex that i most likely will have in my army and the same goes with the hive tyrant

awaiting answers...

"I have seen you humans, trying to forge an Empire in the name of a corpse"

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you cannot deepstrike half your army via. the seeding swarm rules ... it's either the whole army, or no seeding swarm.

you can only give your tyrant exceptional size if you have 4 or less than 4 species in your army. keep in mind that e.g. 1 tyrant and 100 gaunts of the same type doesn't work here ... you need 1 hq, 1 troop, 1 elite and 1 heavy support, even if you don't use them (or was it fast attack?)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

ReputationReputation
    29 (x2)

oh, i guess i won't be able to use excep size at all then.

ah yes, now i see it. i must've missed that part. well i still want to try out playing the seeding swarm, but maybe i'll stick to a regular army, but still with loads of models.
    how many gaunts do you think i can field and still have an effective army? is 96 to many?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    189 (x8)

Simply expand a normal swarm to around 2000pts and than you can take a seedind swarm as an detachment, works great on big battles.

This leaves the normal swarm free for other stuff.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i wouldnt base a nid army on seeding swarm, as i find the rules for seeding swarm armies are there to be used in certain situations and against certain opponents.
    So building a army around seeding swarm may prove a dangerous tactic..
    especially cause the whole seeding swarm rules may change for the worse or better in the new revised codex thats coming out for nids.

Also i may be wrong but im sure seeding swarm may only be used in scenarios that allow deepstrike so certain scenarios swarm armies wont be allowd so ya going to be really screwed

my advice build up your force as a regular nid army first then use seeding swarm when ya need it, as Seeding swarm isnt as cool as ppl think, it has its pros but it has allot of cons

well hope that helps
    Army of the heavens, my army waits in hell
    To battle on the earth, for all the souls who fell

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x3)

At least some nid players have the idea...
    Nice one necrontyr, you've worked out that lots of crap is better than no good. As for except. size, you can have it on your tyrant as it goes by the wounds in the brood. The brood that consists of him and his tyrant guard. If you have some, which is well worth it, then he can have it as there'll be 8-10 wounds worth of bugs in the squad, plenty for a mutant. I'd have to agree with HF Hades though, seeding swarms do look cool in theory but they do have problems against many armies.
    --Monsieur

"Argue for your limitations and, sure enough, they're yours"
    -Zen proverb
    Have you been touched?
    Pirate's Haven

USE TEH REP BUTTON

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

ReputationReputation
    29 (x2)

thanks for the tips. i think i'll forget the seeding swarm, i don't really want to start with my whole army in reserve.
    anyways i got most of my stuff now and it all looks very cool i will probably buy another pack of warriors and i will definately get some more gaunts (i only have about 50 of them now). i also got a full squad of lictors, are they worth 80pts/p? the secret deployment seems very good since they will be able to charge enemies without ever being shot at. how do you use your lictors? should i use a full squad of them or is it enough with 1 or 2?

i still think someone will have to clarify the except. size rules

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A hive tyrant can only be exceptional size if your swarm has 4 or less species. tyrant guard count as a separate brood so you don't add their wounds to the tyrant's.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

ReputationReputation
    29 (x2)

how is the wounds on my tyrant connected with the number of species in my swarm?

on which page in the codex can i read about this?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by jumpingboris@May 12 2004, 09:21
    A hive tyrant can only be exceptional size if your swarm has 4 or less species. tyrant guard count as a separate brood so you don't add their wounds to the tyrant's.
    This is wrong. You can have Exp Size in an army with 10 species.

HT: 4 W
    Guards: 6 W

They both count as one brood, that makes 10W. You can therefore take 10 species and still get Exp Size. It is expensive, but dont forget, thats T7!!

As for your Lictor question, they are in certain circumstances. They can easily rip open a tank, and can kill Marines. If they are in the open though, boom, and thats 80 pts of the field. They are relatively tough, but their high save means a concentrated bit of Bolter fire and you are 80 pts less.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast