Brood Lord Modeling Alternative - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    126 (x4)

Brood Lord Modeling Alternative

I don't like the Broodlord model. In my opinion its the worst looking model in the nid army. I'm thinking of converting a regular genestealer into a Broodlord.

Anyone have any experience with this? Suggestions?

Thanks!

Tim Wright

"The internet perceives censorship as damage, and routes around it."
    -John Gilmore

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What don't you like about the model?

If its the head, thing you can pop it off and put a more traditional stealer head on it, or if its the pose you can do a bit of conversion. But converting a stealer could be fun as well...

I've modelled mine with a guard "underfoot" and slashed to pieces, so it looks like the lord has just rended the guard and the pose it has is a "celebratory" one after a good fight
    Hive Fleet Ouragan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had a similar issue with the Broodlord model, and I got a lot of inspiration from some of the conversions on Hive Fleet Moloch I believe the moloch and ouroboros galleries have conversions similar to what you are thinking of.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    71 (x1)

Yep I didn't like the Broodlord model either so I converted my own out of a Genestealer. This was years ago and I'm not sure where exactly it is but people loved the conversion.

Remember those little weird bits of scenery from the Macragge set? Theres one spikey one thats about the size of the Broodlord base. First step? Find this piece, glue it down on a Broodlord-size base.

Next, I sawed a Genstealer right where his legs are and glued it in this little alien scene piece, so it looks like he's rising out.

For weapons, those rending claws he has are too puny. Personally, I have this eight-legged nid thing going, so I left one pair on to fit my fluff, but the real deal comes from Tyranid Warrior Rending claws. You'll need to do some cutting and GSing to get them to fit in the arm socket. I made them reach out and claw at the ground as though he was pulling himself out.

I used the small Scything Talons for my Broodlord. Don't remember if it was the Hormagaunt ones or the Warrior ones, but it shouldn't matter. I had the extra pair of arms on him so you could probably slide with a bigger pair of talons.

And then, of course, I broke out the Extended Carapace (which I rarely model, so I have TONS). Armored up the legs and then used the spikey Carapace piece on his head, like a rhino. Plus spikey carapace on his back so he has the Sonic-the-Hedgehog thing going a little bit.

One more scything Talon emerging from his back (It looked empty and needed something) and the model was nearly complete. The coup de grace? Half of a Guardsman with a screaming head (courtesy of the zombie line of Warhammer Fantasy) with some guts I found lying around.

Not bad at all. If I can find it, I'll post some pictures, though I'd rather face a Carnifex than dig up my basement...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

795 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by magnet_man View Post
    I don't like the Broodlord model.
    I agree with you, the Broodlord model is very poor compared to some of the artwork and concept sketches that went into it's development. I converted mine very heavily using all kinds of parts. Here is a link to photobucket with some images of my Brood(Scorpionlord).

Image of Scorpion lord, Broodlord. - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting This is one of it's images the page with the rest of them and other Tyranids is linked below.
    Leech-man/Tyranids - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Here is another link to another Broodlord, you have to poke through those icons at the bottom to find it as it won't link directly. *- ¦ HIVE FLEET MOLOCH - Warhammer 40,000 Tyranid Design ¦ Hive Fleet Ouroboros ¦>Headquarter<¦ And here is another Broodlord.*- ¦ HIVE FLEET MOLOCH - Warhammer 40,000 Tyranid Design ¦ Moloch Gallery ¦ Headquarter ¦>Broodlord<¦

I would suggest in converting it that you avoid the standard Genestealer heads as except for the feeder tendrils one they are all a little small. I used a Tyranid warrior head merged with a Gaunt head for mine. You can also use parts such as extended carapace to improve it.

I also use a scorpion theme for my Tyranids and I used that to help me ideas to improve it. Try to look through all of your spare parts for more ideas.

+ Reply to Thread