Tactic Question - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tactic Question

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tactic Question

First off, can a Lord with Destroyer Body join units that aren't listed as Jetbikes?

Second, I'm really asking if this tactic would be worthwhile.

A.) I have a Destroyer Lord with Warscythe and Veil of Darkness join a unit of 10 Immortals.

B.) Have this unit march toward the enemy while having units of Warriors slightly behind march on either side of the Immortals.

B1.) Hopefully this will bait my opponent into assaulting the Immortals on his turn getting them closer to my flanking units.

C.) During movement in my turn, teleport the Immortals out of CC far enough that they can fire and re-assault (if need be).

D.) Open up on the enemy that foolishly assaulted the Immortals with the Immortals and Warriors from every angle.

I gave the Lord a Warscythe so that he can do some damage in CC. The Destroyer Body could be replaced with a Phase Shifter.

Also, I'm not asking how it can be done better, but if its worth trying at all.

Last edited by Lachlarlan; June 12th, 2008 at 17:33.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I believe that is worthless to have a Des lord join a unit of immortals cos he will lose his jetbike ability. Better have him join a unit of wraiths or 2 units of wraiths (i have tried this and is working beautiful). If you want to have him with the immortals then drop the des body and the warscythe and add a res orb or something.

Now about your tactic you mentioned sounds nice but what if your opponent has more CC units (e.g. tyranids, black templars, etc) how you are going to counterattack this one? This tactic is very nice if you are talking for just one CC enemy unit. If the other has more of them then you will need a monolith or something that will support ur warriors and immortals.

I hope this helped you somehow

King of Librarium's Tombs Phoenix's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    579 (x8)

A Des Lord can join infantry units yes. As for the tactic.. if you're having to put, what, 800pts? into taking out 1 enemy unit... youve probably already lost. It would work if you want to kill a unit specifically, but chances are the rest of the enemy army has you beat elsewhere.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    457 (x8)

Others kinda beat me to it, but yes, it's questionable whether it's worth it to do this. When it comes to attaching commanders to units of any kind, in any army, it usually makes sense to match them up equally. The destroyer lord is a fast-moving unit, so most players would put him with other fast-moving units such as scarabs, wraiths or destroyers, not a foot-slogging unit like the immortals. What is your justification for giving him the D-body? You already have the veil to hop around the battlefield with your immortals in tow. I say it's a waste of points.

Also, the warscythe may not be a good idea, either. Immortals are shooty units designed to sit back and plug something from a distance. The veil is there to whisk them away should they get charged. A warscythe is for the lord who EXPECTS to get into extended bouts of cc. Again, paired with a cc unit (wraiths, flayed ones, scarabs), it would make sense, but not here. Better to keep your staff of light, as it's cheaper, gives you almost the same benefits, and it can shoot, too.
    Mickey: "You're just making this up as you go along!"
    The Doctor: "Yuuuup. But I do it brilliantly!"

Check out my WIP thread here (Clicky!)

The rules (Clicky!) Read 'em, know 'em, love 'em.

Peace, through superior firepower.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    324 (x8)

You never, ever want your immortals in CC, they're way to important for shooting to use them as bait. If you want to bait your enemy into assault, use warriors. And don't focus your entire army into that one thing. It's far better with necrons to sit back and shoot the opponent until they come to you THEN teleport away from danger.

So as far as the tactic being worth trying, I'm gonna say it's up to you. Messing around with different tactics/armys and seeing what works for you and what doesn't is all part of the game.

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

Just to clarify a tad bit, the wording in the rulebook states that "units move as fast as the slowest model." So as said, you can join your Destroyer Lord to a unit of Immortals, but he is then forced to move 6" per turn until you unattach him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As others have said, the Destroyer body is kind of a waste, and Immortals are the wrong troops.

If you were to do this I would use 2 lords, one with a Rez orb and another with the Veil and gaze of flame.

Put the lord with the Veil of darkness and Gaze of flame with the Warrior squad (preferably 20 large). The Gaze will make the charge not hurt as bad and the Veil will help them teleport out. When 5th edition comes out the chronometron might be worth it since dedicated CC squads will make you break.

The Warscythe is more worth it for breaking HQ's and Tanks than it is for CC squads. I would leave both lords with the staff of light.

This tactic might be able to work, but I would view it as a last resort rather than a go to strategy. Pound them as they get close to you, and then use this tactic to buy yourself some time.

A slight twist on this that might help is using the Monolith instead of the Veil. You'll also gain the benefit of the WBB reroll when you use the Monolith.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    134 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by Lachlarlan View Post
    C.) During movement in my turn, teleport the Immortals out of CC far enough that they can fire and re-assault (if need be).
    If I'm reading this correctly, you want to DS your Immortals so they can shoot then assault?

You can't assault after you DS, which is what the VoD teleport movement is.

Even if you could, you shouldn't, as others have stated.
    Karmoon: "well.. any kore = good kore" 12:35pm PST 23 May 2007

+ Reply to Thread