Alternative ranged/Sniperfex choices help. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

795 (x8)

Alternative ranged/Sniperfex choices help.

I have two Carnifexes which I plan to use for mainly shooting and as heavy support. One is getting a venom cannon and barbed strangler. The other one I would like to give different weapons or at least one different weapon but I'm not sure what. I have been trying to think of different roles for the Carnifex.

I have been thinking to give it a barbed strangler and a second weapon but I'm not sure if I want a twinlinked devourer or a twinlinked deathspitter. I think the devourer would be good at shooting up infantry squads after the barbed strangler has hit them. Also the twinlinked devourers would work well with the spinebanks this Carnifex will have.

On the other hand the deathspitter has the benefit of providing me with a Carnifex that using a barbed strangler as well will be able to bomb people with lots of blasts. The deathspitter also has a higher strength and an AP unlike the devourer and so it would give the Carnifex the ability to switch to an anti-tank/vehicle role. This Carnifex is appealing as it is a little different and may cause problems not normally seen especially against anything which is very vunerable to blasts.

I have also thought that I could give it two twinlinked devourers and use it as a more powerful version of the common Dakkafex that is found in elites. This Carnifex would be in heavy support so unlike the elite Dakkafex would have no limit on it's points value. This means it would be able to mount the devourers along with spinebanks and enhanced senses all at the same time while getting a few other upgrades such as extended carapace or reinforced chitin. However it may be better to leave the Dakkafexes to focus on blasting away with devourers and use the bigger guns on my heavy supports types.

Basically which do you think. A Carnifex with a barbed strangler and twinlinked devourer for killing mainly infantry. A Carnifex with a barbed strangler and a twinlinked deathspitter to kill maybe not as many infantry but also be able to kill some vehicles. Or a Carnifex which is an big version of the Dakkafex and will focus on killing infantry.

Please tell me what you think and if you can come up with some better ideas for shooty Carnifexes other than one with a venom cannon and barbed strangler please do tell.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I havent really tested a Carnifex with a Deathspitter but it might work for taking out large squads and Vehicles. Wont be as effective as the standard sniperfex though.

Overall i think the Dakkafex option is best. If you don't want it being Elite, giving it Spine banks, 2 Twin-Linked Devourers, and enhanced senses works pretty well. Its no longer elite but gets even more infantry-killing power. If you end up wanting it to be elite just drop the Spine Banks and you're set. Personaly i wouldn't put anything more than that on it, if you keep your Carnifexes cheap (This goes for every big Tyranid Unit) you have more points to spend on other units. More targets = more stress on the opponent.

Unless you're going for Nidzilla, i'd say go for the Dakkafex, but keep him relatively cheap.
    Last edited by Zygh; June 13th, 2008 at 23:43.
    Quote Originally Posted by MindWar View Post
    Frankly, I think you're insane!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

795 (x8)

Thanks. That does sound like a good idea and I do have a tendency to use huge-uber-points-devouring behemoths. Having a cheap Carnifex might help. Though I'm still not sure if I should take advantage of the some bigger guns and the deathspitter is a good gun. I think new rules concerning blast weapons may make it easier to aim. There's no rush though as I will work on it for a while yet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With 5th edition rules, the deathspitter is probably quite a bit better. Im gonna use it on some warriors for taking out small tanks and large squads (Orks specificaly), but im not sure how well it would do on a carnifex. Deathspitter has less range, less strength, and a smaller blast template than the Barbed Strangler. It also can't pin them. It'd be nice if you really, really want more blast-guns but im not sure if it'd be the best choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by MindWar View Post
    Frankly, I think you're insane!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

795 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Zygh View Post
    With 5th edition rules, the deathspitter is probably quite a bit better. It'd be nice if you really, really want more blast-guns but im not sure if it'd be the best choice.
    That's helpful, 5th edition will chage things. I think the deathspitter may be better soon as it will be much easier to hit something with. Loads of blasts does have it's appeal, it may be very nasty to some enemies and I will be able to poop gunk on them. I think also I do like the idea of having something different as many Carnifexes don't use the deathspitter. Though I do have a Carnifex with a deathspitter but it uses crushing claws and is very assault oriented and therefore not really like this one.

It is a shame that the thing can't have two barbed stranglers at the same time without them becoming twinlinked. I am thinking that the use of all blast weapons will be fun and I can call my new pet Pyroscorpius, I do like to name my critters. However I don't know that much about what the changes to blast weapons are so I will have to think about it.

+ Reply to Thread