1st time vs. Necrons help - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1st time vs. Necrons help

ok I'm about to face a necron army in a 1500 pt battle. I have never played them and don't know what to expect. So if you could give me so help on strategy or what units work well against them that would be great.

I believe we are playing on a map with 4 small buildings in each of 4 sections of the square map. I also believe that their will be some sort of ruins in the middle of the map and that those buildings and ruins are the only cover.

Right now I am leaning toward 2 squads of dire avengers maxxed out in wave serpents. I also have a maxxed howling banshee squad and fire dragon squad in wave serpents. My heavy choices that I'm thinking about taking are a fire prism, dark reapers, and 3 vibro cannons. My HQ of choice is a farseer but I could also exchange that with a avatar. Units aren't really a factor so if you like something different plz suggest it. I was going for a close combat theme but I don't know if that is good or if I should sit back and shoot(thus me needing help)

I really don't know what to expect from a necron army and what they have going for them besides a monolith which I hear is hard to destroy.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    324 (x8)

My main tips to beating Necrons.

-Gauss, our guns can kill anything (NOT the ones on the Lord or Tomb spyder though)

-We'll be Back. Use power weapons or S8+, you have plenty in your elites. Massed fire works alright.

-Teleporting. Alot of player like to teleport around with a squad of immortals, do your best to block this.

-Monoliths explode. Just gotta use good old fashioned weapon strength.

-Don't CC a Star God, you won't like it. Shoot them.

-DO C
    c everything else.

-Kill the skeletons, ignore everything else.

Check over to the 'cron forum and look at some of our tactics. Check battle reports it'll give you a better idea of what you're dealing with. Overall your army composition is practically stacked in your favor anyway.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    108 (x4)

Hmm.... go with d cannons instead of vibro cannons, they'll totally own monoliths or just about anything necron

Don't use dire avengers against the 'crons, try pathfinders for troops instead 2 5 man squads. that should own destroyers, tombsyders, annoy c'tan.

The fire prism seems perfect. If he trys teleporting immortals around, or using the monolith's portal, deepstriking flayed ones etc the fire prism will blow them into little peices. If you think he'll be using telporting immortals support weapons could get owned by them, but they would also inflict nasty damage on them, so keep a unit near weapons if he has.

Unit speed probably won't be a problem, try taking the howling banshees out of the waveserpent.

That seems to leave around 400pts... add in an avatar, some shining spears

then deploy your reapers in one the buildings, d-cannons behind the building, farseer helping them with guide and doom, howling banshees and avatar behind the building doing counter assualt when they get there. Pathfinders in other building in your deployment zone, shining spear behind them, preventing assualt. Use your fire dragons to go around the side or drop them off in the central ruins and let them flame the warriors or elites, NOT THE MONOLITH. The fire prism should take potshots at whatever's grouped together, if they get seperated from the lord the prism will inflict some serious pain. good luck.
    Avatar's Arena #3 let the games begin!
    The Outsider And Kae'Tyr-necron fluff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thank you for your advice

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    198 (x4)

A good thing to remember when fighting Necrons - in fact the most important thing - is Phase Out. Bring them down to below 25% of Necron models - warriors, immortals, destroyers etc - and they lose. Foucs your firepower on these units and ignore the big things like 'liths and C'tan.
    Also, fire dragons can come in handy - high strength, great ap weapons that can move and fire. Banshees and doom over scorpions.
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain (It's time to roll the dice)- Mattrim Cauthon

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x3)

Yeah. Some players will put a lotta points into HQs, monoliths, tomb spiders and the like. Making them all to vulnerable to phase out.

By the way you can see basic necron stats and such through their online reference sheet
    GW Online : Warhammer 40,000 : Necrons : Necrons Reference Sheet

That should give you some useful mathhammer info.

If they do the "warp around the board with immortals" thing, which they probably will, you'll want to set up traps with fields on fire or CC units.

OH. While it's normally curtains for a necron who falls to power or high strength weapons the lords will often have an orb thing.

It looks like this

or some appropriate thing. It'll make guys rise anyway

However in all cases if you can destroy all the units of one type in an area they do NOT get well be back rolls. And I don't think anything can get around that. This can often happen with units like destroyers and heavy destroyers. Kill 2 out of 3 and expect one to come back. Take out all 3 and they're just dead.

I forget the radius now thoug . It's been a while. It wouldn't be more than 12" though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    103 (x5)

Well first off all your list sounds pretty good against 'crons, also right off the bat (yeah everyone will probably call me crazy for this) you have something going for you... hes taking a Monolith, and I presume like most other Necron players he will be taking a lord.

Yeah these units are nice to protect yourself but severely sink points really fast. Until just recently I followed the old res orb and monolith doctrines but I've completely stopped taking both as I've found Necrons become much more deadly when concentrating on offensive power. So the more monoliths and more lords in the list generally it should be easier for you to take out since the army is defensive but lacks the offensive power to counter your force.

Good luck.

+ Reply to Thread