Mandrakes - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mandrakes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have heard and read a lot of bad things about Mandrakes especially from eldar online. But i couldn't resist using them and they worked! My opponents have been scard out their minds of them because of their deployment and that allows my other troops to get in posistion while he is worrying about where the mandrakes are. This is not just a first time fluke it has worked many times for me and now i always use them. what do you think?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ive never used them, mainly because my friends DE army (the one I play with) has none.

Ive always thought that the mandrakes special rule would be great. As a Tau player, that would scare me alot, and I would definitely not play to my full abilities if Im worrying about the mandrakes.

Even if they mandrakes dont get many kills, the Psychological effect of having a nice cc unit untouchable on the board for 3 turns, and not knowing where they will pop up, would be great.

Glad to see someone has used some and gotten good results.

Keep it up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the problem is, mandrakes will lose to every unit in the game in CC apart from fire warriors... and its not that great... they cost 3 times the same as normal warriors asnd are exactlty the same stats... and they go down like warriors to shooting...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    36 (x1)

Er I always thought Mandrakes were 15 points? Personaly I think there great. :lol:
    Ask not the ruleboys a question for they shall give you three answers each true and terrifying to behold

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah... except they cant take down anything in the game apart from grots and similar...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    36 (x1)

Actualy there also okay at killing marines (Not exactly brilliant but what the heck)
    The two tactics i would use them for though was to either use their hidden set up rule to advance them behind an enemy unit then in conjunction with shooting and a terrorfex force the enemy unit into a crossfire or using them to attack enemy fire points to allow the rest of the army to advance.

Ps in Cityfight mandrakes are great with an ability to get a 2+cover save they are really ifficult to get rid of via shooting
    Ask not the ruleboys a question for they shall give you three answers each true and terrifying to behold

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    47 (x3)

Only problem is a unit of 10 mandrakes costs about the same as a nice raider squad, with a squad leader with weapons. In three turns the mandrakes can advance 18 inches. When a raider squad can advance 24'' on turn one.
    Mandrakes cant hide a squad leader equipped with an agonizer either.

The one good use I can see for them is that they can stay out of harms way and take objectives. With their improved cover save they will be difficult to shoot out of a fortified position. But then you have a unit of mandrakes with close combat weapons sitting on their hands waiting for the game to end.

In my eyes you can spend the points on warriors and get more use out of them.

-GM
    I put the Laughter back into Slaughter.
    Sons of Prometheus <click>
    Children of Murder <clic>

A very violent persona Apotheosis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They suck, they&#39;re cool, bla bla bla.

They suck if you don&#39;t use them right. They rock if you use them to their full potential, affecting both the gameplay and the mental stated of the opponent.
    They are even more effective than lictors in terms of psychologically influencing the enemy, as you would stop worrying about lictors after a while, while mandrakes always have "three" possible places they need to pop up, and thus driving the enemy to make drastic and foolish decisions.
    "And whoever wants to be a creator in good and evil, must first be an annihilator and break values. Thus the highest evil belongs to the greatest goodness: but this is--being creative."

~ Friedrich Nietzsche ~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As I&#39;ve said before on this board: they&#39;re worth their points in a large game, where 10 pistol shots or 30 cc attacks at just the right moment, in just the right place can be decisive. However, you always have to remember that after they&#39;re revealed, they&#39;re just warriors with a good cover save and an extra ccw.

isitused:

Its not that they don&#39;t move fast, its that they can be *anywhere* on the board in turn 3. Think of it as effectively being able to deepstrike and being able to move and assault on that turn, with no chance of scattering. The points cost doesn&#39;t look so bad when you look at it that way, does it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the prob is by turn 3, the game is mostly finished, and the remnants are like 5 on 5... and they sort of use up their usefulness...

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast