Can I take a C'tan in 1000pts? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can I take a C'tan in 1000pts?

I remember someone telling me that I can only use a C'tan in 1500pts or over, but I can't find this stated anywhere in the codex. So can I?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I recall correctly (since I don't have my codex within reach at this moment), you can indeed take a C'Tan at 1000pts. However, the more important question is whether you should take a C'Tan at a 1000pts, to which I am of the opinion that you should not. Its price is too high and at this point you would want to build up your Necron number to prevent an early phase out. There is nothing in the rules, though, preventing you.
    Last edited by Zarak; June 25th, 2008 at 19:41.
    Increasing the diversity of the 40k universe through the destruction of Space Marines, one army at a time...

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

If it's not listed in the C'tan entry (the general special rules, or either of their specific rules), then there's nothing prohibiting you (besides points) from taking a C'tan in 1000 points.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the replies. That's good new then! I realise that taking a C'tan would make me prone to phasing out relatively easily, but the way I see it is that the deceiver is only 100pts more than a fully kitted out lord, which is IMO WAY too overpriced for what it can do. My lord has never contributed effectively enough to any game I've played, even with VoD. Spending only 300pts on HQ, I don't think the rest of the army is going to be TOO small. Besides, I've recently had trouble dealing with my mate's 1000pt Nidzilla-ish list and I need something extremely powerful to take out those damn monstrous creatures! Necron fire power is not strong enough to take them down and I'm sick of always dying in close combat. Best of all, he won't expect it, lol.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    103 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by blutac View Post
    Thanks for the replies. That's good new then! I realise that taking a C'tan would make me prone to phasing out relatively easily, but the way I see it is that the deceiver is only 100pts more than a fully kitted out lord, which is IMO WAY too overpriced for what it can do. My lord has never contributed effectively enough to any game I've played, even with VoD. Spending only 300pts on HQ, I don't think the rest of the army is going to be TOO small. Besides, I've recently had trouble dealing with my mate's 1000pt Nidzilla-ish list and I need something extremely powerful to take out those damn monstrous creatures! Necron fire power is not strong enough to take them down and I'm sick of always dying in close combat. Best of all, he won't expect it, lol.
    I prefer the Deceiver over a lord anyday

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    102 (x5)

But why would you 'trick out' a 200pt lord unless you needed it. For example a 140pt lord with just a res orb is extremely powerful to negate power weapons. I guess VoD is nice to get out of CC since you don't have a monolith, but I never thought about it this way. 200pt lord, or 300pt deceiver...hmm...I've never even glanced at buying a Ctan...that good, eh?
    "There is only do, or do not. There is no try." - Yoda

King of Librarium's Tombs Phoenix's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    579 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by gauss_storm View Post
    I prefer the Deceiver over a lord anyday
    Agreed

And even a 140pt Orb Lord is a waste... youre paying his stupidly high base cost for the ability to take wargear.

Only time id Max a Lord out is a Destroyer Lord at 1.5K or above.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    324 (x8)

Deceiver vs nids eh? *cackles*
    As a VoD nut I usually find my lords to be worth the extra points though I do agree that 200pts is a bit steep when you compare them to the Deceiver.
    Yeah you can field a C'tan at...660pts minimum. If you want your opponent to hate you forever.
    I personally don't go for such a sink on my PO but hey, not like the boss won't draw all of their fire. Give the D some backup though. A flayed one entourage would be good, and best I can tell destroyers will give you some of the high S blasting you're going to need.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was thinking:

Deciever
    10 warriors
    10 warriors
    10 immortals
    5 scarabs

Total - exactly 1000pts

This balances numbers and firepower as well as fast stuff to tie units up. Facing a C'tan can be a fearful prospect and most inexperienced players/ players who have never played necrons before will always always aim their guns that the deciever. They'll soon realise their attempts at taking it down are futile, by which time it'll be too late, the deciever will be laughing its head off as it munches through every enemy unit on the table and the bulk of my army will be left unscathed. MUWHAHAHAHAHA!!!! Genius plan

Senior Member SendMoreParamedics's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not sure the 5 scarabs are the best way to go. Small group, against a nidzilla list I'm not sure thats the best tarpit you have available. Maybe throw in a couple more immortals and split it up into 2 groups of 6 for a bit more shooting ability at the cost of a one turn speed bump.

+ Reply to Thread