Necrons - A good army for me? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Necrons - A good army for me?

Yes, I know it seems a little redundant, asking if Necrons are right for me as a second army in the Cron's sub forum, but I wanna know the good points of Necrons.

My first army was Tau. I've collected a good 1500 points worth of them. I do pretty well when I play against my friends, only losing if it's 1v1 or on a small board (ranged ) Oh, and I've also had experience with Tyranids, playing as them once or twice (my brother uses them).

Anywho, I really, really like the idea of Crons as my second army. The only problem is, I know next to nothing about them. I know there's a cool floating nude guy, with some wierd name like Ci'tan and I know a bit about Monoliths. There's of course the scarabs, warriors, normal troops (same thing as warrior? I dunno...) and the HQ guy. I also happen to know that with 5th ed coming soon, Crons are taking a big hit because of the -2 on the damage chart. A little sad knowing I may start collecting when Crons lose one of their best advantages. One very good thing about Crons is that they're easy to paint, which is good, because I have weak painting skills.

Another problem is the Codex. I've searched around and I'm pretty sure a new codex won't come out for atleast a year or so. Is it a good idea to just get a codex now and start reading up on them? Or just wait? I have no real idea when the new codex will come, if it ever does.

So yeah, what are the good points of Crons and the bad points? Good for a player who enjoys ranged, Tau-ish, tactics? If it helps, Orks, Guard and Marines are mostly what I face.

On a side note, the no consolidation rule is awesome for me

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    324 (x8)

If your starting now yer gonna need a codex last I heard tell the new 'dex won't be out until end of next year if that. (But of course SPACE MARINES get another new one....)

Alright. Necrons are primarily a midranged shooty army. But when played right can be pretty nasty for cc if a bit uncanny. Tauish tactics don't match up as much. Necrons don't play like any other army.

Primary necron powers are We'll be back, which gives them a 50% chance to come back from the dead after most attacks. And gauss which allows all their guns to wound any troop or glance any armor. Necrons are also capable of suprising mobility with lots of jetbikes and teleportation.

On the forefront necrons are a rather resilient choice the warriors (basic troops) are heavy infantry with some tweaks. The core of a necron army is a bit pricy, a standard lord and two minimized warrior squads throws for you 500pts. Don't expect much in the means of wargear, the way your army plays is purely controlled by the units you choose and your tactics. However the variety of units to choose from can give you several devastating combos.

There are actually two C'tan the quintessential gods of death and trickery respectively.

Necrons are brutal against IG once you take out the ordanance. They can hold their own against space marines, orks I've never played against so I'm not exactly sure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    128 (x4)

Tau player reporting. I had a chance to use a fellow hobbyist's 2000 point Necron List a few weeks ago against a Tyranid list. I had just watched this hobbyist (Chili) get trounced by the Tyranid player (Ethan). With what little I knew about Necrons, I changed his destroyers into heavy destroyers, removed some disruption pods, and made one or two very minor changes. With my Tau experience I easily trounced the Tyranid player, because Necrons have so much more tactically available to them during the battle than Tau. To put it shortly, the Necrons always have an ace up their sleeve, they're an army of sweet tricks. Players will often advocate against taking a Monolith, but I found the portal effect it has to be extremely effective (I was basically sucking units stuck in close combat out through the Monolith and then laying into the unit that had been in close combat). Necrons have the ability to destroy tanks normally, most players simply advocate against those choices in the current edition (Pariahs, Heavy Destroyrs, Tomb Spiders, etc). In addition, IMO, Necrons are going to be incredibly fortunate with the major rule change occurring in 5th: that TROOPS choices are the only units that can score or hold objectives. Who has the toughest basic troop in the game? Necrons. Space Marines that don't die half of the time they're killed. Add in that lists currently made of pure Warrior squads are considered very power-gamer oriented by some, and I can see some definite advantages arising. Necrons are by no means lousy in close combat, are very durable and very forgiving, and have more tricks than you can shake a stick at. I loved playing them.
    My gaming group's new motto: That army you're using is overpowered because it hurts my guys, codex is broken and needs a rewrite.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    103 (x5)

Well I would still strongly advise against not using a monolith. What you describe Ilonginus (did I get your name right? sorry If I did'nt) is a common trick that novices to Necrons (not saying anything about your generalship) use to forgive themselves. Going heavy on destroyers and swaping out your lord and monoliths for a Deceiver gives a much faster, hard hitting and when the Deceiver is played with a bit of thought they all work together very well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    108 (x4)

It may be common trick, but it works doesn't it? Guass, what exactly do you do when your oppent feilds ordnance and gets first turn?

Yes, necrons would be a good army to use if you like ranged attacks, but they will have to footslog against gunlines, which i face depressingly often. They're shorter ranged than tau, but they're so much harder to kill, and give out a terrifying amount of firepower at short range. Necrons only have one troop choice, warriors, so you have a minimum of twenty in your army, and phase out means if you don't take enough necrons they can be forced to disappear, so you're limited in the FOC, but tau are as well, so that's not so bad for you.
    Avatar's Arena #3 let the games begin!
    The Outsider And Kae'Tyr-necron fluff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the replies!

so you're limited in the FOC
    Sorry, but I mostly only know some Tau acryonyms. Care to explain what FOC is?

Alright, so you guys summed up Crons pretty good for me, adaptable and survivable. Personally, I think the WBB!!! rule is the best advantage of the army. Do all units of Crons get this? Not Monoliths, surely!

I'm gonna try to head out today and grab the codex. How are Crons in terms of real $ price? Expensive? Average? I found Tau prices to be horrible

Any ideas on starter units? Obviously a HQ and some warriors, but how many? What about elites, heavy support?

Thanks again lol

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    457 (x8)

Basically, Necrons are the 40k version of the "army of the dead." They are a race of humanoids who sold their souls (almost literally) to the ravenous C'Tan (Deceiver and Nightbringer are the versions used in the game) who then stripped them from their bodies and implanted them into the skeleton/robotlike bodies you see. Bascially a cross between the Terminator and the extras in a George Romero movie. In fact, GW has admitted that the Terminator movies were a strong influence on this race.

As has been said, you can't go wrong with rank upon rank of warriors. This fits the fluff, which depicts a relentless, resistance-is-futile style army of slow-but-sure marching metal men. Buying a Necron battleforce will give you most of what you need to get started (A lord blister pack and you're pretty much there). With that set, you'll get warriors plus three destroyers (high-speed weapons platforms) and scarabs (high speed "tarpit" units, like IG conscripts).

I would humbly suggest that legions of warriors, while effective and fluffy, will be uber-boring over the long term for you to build, paint and play. It will also make life difficult for your opponents, to the point where they won't want to play with you.

To avoid this, I'd suggest mixing it up, which is why I mentioned the battleforce. You can rarely go wrong with a solid unit of destroyers, in almost any army configuration. Scarabs are a take-em-or-leave-em unit, but they're still fun to put together, I think.

Checking out some of the stickies in this forum will show you some other things you can do, but as you get big (i.e. 1,000+ points), I'd consider a monolith, as it makes for a nice support unit for almost any cron army. Ditto for either C'Tan model (though the Deceiver is the more popular one, I think).

Basically, other than the "standard" army, you could jack up the model count on the destroyers and immortals, use a lord with Veil of Darkness and your Monolith to teleport, and you've got a pretty highly mobile gunline.

By contrast, you could load up on flayed ones, scarabs and pariahs. Throw in a C'Tan and you have a very tough cc army that usually catches your opponent off guard, since they expect 'crons to be "shooty."

That's a short-and-sweet rundown. Good luck!

EDIT: Pricewise, the necrons aren't so bad. I think you'll find the battleforce is a good buy for the money. The warrior box sets don't cost any more (or less) than a box set of any other 40k "troops" choice. You'll find some of the elites (immortals, flayed ones) get very pricey, very quickly, but there are guides all over the place on how to convert basic warrior models into homemade versions of those uber-expensive elite models that don't look half bad. Might save you some $$$ in the long run.
    Last edited by Canew; June 27th, 2008 at 16:48.
    Mickey: "You're just making this up as you go along!"
    The Doctor: "Yuuuup. But I do it brilliantly!"

Check out my WIP thread here (Clicky!)

The rules (Clicky!) Read 'em, know 'em, love 'em.

Peace, through superior firepower.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm assuming that Warriors are plastic, right?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

790 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Imanoob View Post
    Warriors, Scarabs, Destroyers and the Monoliths are plastic.

Heavy destroyers and Destoyer Lords are combination kits.

The rest are METAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAL.

Also, FOC = Force Organisation chart.
    LO Rules

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Anyone who's as loyal and motivated to doing what they love as you are is respectable in my book
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyric
    I'm taking leave of my senses and shall be out of my mind until further notice.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    457 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Imanoob View Post
    Yep, they are, and the immortals, for example, are not. Yet another reason to try converting, if you're like me and hate metal models.

In fact, for one warrior box set (@$30 US, depending on where you buy it) you get enough parts to build 12 "standard" warriors.

With that, a common trick is to combine the guns so that you wind up with six "warriors" carrying double-barreled gauss guns (easier to imagine this if you look at the set), which is essentially what an immortal is. If you're very careful how you do it, and use greenstuff, you can make a replica that is nearly indistinguishable from the "real" versions sold in blister packs at $10(!) a model. That's $30 for what would cost you $60 US to buy in the store in blister packs! As if that's not good enough, after you're done, you'll be left with enough parts to make six more warrior models without guns (or hands). Clever modelers who are good with greenstuff and plasticard can easily add claws to the arms and make flayed ones. Six of those in the blister packs will run you roughly $36. That's nearly $100 worth of metal models you can reproduce in plastic for $30! Ok, you'll have to buy greenstuff and plasticard, too, but you're still saving a ton.
    Mickey: "You're just making this up as you go along!"
    The Doctor: "Yuuuup. But I do it brilliantly!"

Check out my WIP thread here (Clicky!)

The rules (Clicky!) Read 'em, know 'em, love 'em.

Peace, through superior firepower.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast