Getting into 40k... - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x1)

Getting into 40k...

Hey all - I am in the process of getting into 40k. I currently play WHFB (Tomb Kings and Warriors of Chaos). I originally started playing WHFB about 10 years ago when I was playing Orcs & Goblins... and now I want to start playing 40k Orks. I have been looking around the forums for advice and such.. but I wanted to make my presence known a little bit.. and possible look for some advice.

The advice I seek is.. where do I start? Obviously I get the Codex... but.. what is a good place to start. Right now, I just want to have a 400 point boarder patrol squad to use against some of the fellas that play in my community.

Any advice would be fantastic. Thanks in advance!

Eldar Project Log
    Saim-Hann Eldar: 5000 Points

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm just getting into Orks as well, although I play Goblins in WHFB and have been playing the tabletop games for a while now. When you're just getting started with any army, I think the best bet is to get a couple of squads of troops, an HQ and something that you just like the looks of. That gives you a good basis without making you lay out too much cash.

Therefore, I'd say get a couple of boxes of boyz (or Da Green Tide box with 100 of them, it's a slight price cut if you're serious about the army and mine already came even though it's an advance order for July 1 and a warboss/big mek. From there, pick up something you just think is cool. Hell, it can even be an IG tank you want to make into a Looted Wagon. After that, you can easily beef up the forces. From what I'm hearing around here, you can never have enough of da boyz!
    I'm trying to catalog every song with a reference to yetis or Sasquatch. Please help.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    511 (x8)

The basics

I wrote a lengthy article on 'the basics' in the section marked 'orks index 2008' that has been described as helpful.

I can sum up the ork army with one word...

Powerklaws

Orks are about getting the most out of powerklaws, which are essentially powerfists.

In case you don't know, powerklaws/powerfists double the strength of the user, and deny their opponent any regular armor saves. The only catches are that they always strike last in combat (even after opponents with Initiative 1), they're relatively expensive, and in 5th edition they no longer count as close combat weapons, so you don't get an extra attack when using them along with a pistol.

Powerklaws also enable a unit to kill anything. There isn't a unit in the game that can't be killed by powerklaws, and most targets are cut down rather quickly. In order to get a good number of powerklaws into the army, you'll need regular groups of boyz.

I mentioned somewhere in an earlier post, but there are 4 main strategies for orks, and they're all viable:

1. Use plenty of trukks.

Trukks don't cost much in the way of points, they all but ensure you'll get the assault, and if they're destroyed, your boyz never count as pinned and might not be harmed at all. The downsides are they're fairly vulnerable, and they only hold 12 boyz, but you could easily squeeze 2 trukks into a 400 point list, each with 12 boyz, a nob, powerklaw and bosspole (essential for smaller units). If you've got the points, I'd give each trukk a ram as well. You'll have enough points left for a warboss with a powerklaw and cybork body, or another HQ (but that's probably the best one for this type of list). Just be sure to move the trukks up carefully, behind cover.

2. Use large groups of 20-30 boyz.

You'll need a lot of boyz for this, but they're really difficult to kill. Field 2 units of 20 boyz, one with 2 big shootas and the other with 2 rokkits. In one group, upgrade a boy to a nob with a powerklaw, and with the other group, instead of a nob attach an HQ choice. You could use a warboss with a powerklaw and cybork, or a warp 'ead, or even a big mek with shokk attakk gun (not in combat patrol though).

3. Use nobz

This isn't feasible in combat patrol, but in larger games you can use expensive groups of nobz. I don't like the regular nobz (two units of boyz costs the same and works better), but meganobz and biker nobz work well. I wouldn't use them in anything less than 1500 point games though.

4. Use walkers

This is an expensive choice, unless you like converting models out of parts, but for every big mek you use, you can field a deff dread as a troop choice. This lets you play: 1 big mek with a kustom force field, 1 deff dread with either 2 big shootas or 2 scorchas (their aim isn't good, so I go for more shots) and possibly grot riggers, 20 boyz with 2 rokkits or big shootas and a nob with a powerklaw, and 3 killa kans, each fielded individually in one kan per unit, with either big shootas, rokkits, grotzookas or kustom mega blastas. It's a fun list, but probably the least powerful of the 4 choices (although I just won my first tournament with such a list, so decide for yourself).

I'd personally just get more boyz (I got most of mine on ebay), and if you have some fantasy orks around, you're already started. I've seen people just use fantasy orks on 40k bases and not even bother putting a pistol on the model, or you could glue something on that looks like one. You could also attach magnets to square based, glue pieces of magnetic metal to the bottom of the round bases, and use them both in fantasy and 40k games.

Once you get comfortable with small games, I'd buy some loota/burna packs and some extra boyz, so you can use all the arms in the pack to make special troops. I'd buy at least 2 packs, and upgrade one member of each unit to a mek (don't worry, it's free), so you can field units of 9 lootas and burnas (anything less dies too quickly). For burnas, you'll also need a transport, like a looted wagon or battlewagon. They die too easily on foot.

Well, I've rambled on a while, but good luck!
    "Any job worth doing, is worth doing with a powerklaw."
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru.../mynameisgrax/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm also in the process of buying orks and like was already said buy a BUNCH of just regular boyz. Not only will you need them for your army but each box comes with options for a nob w/ pk, a rokkit launcha, and a big shoota along with the standard slugga/shoota boyz.

But more than that if you wanted say stormboyz, you have to convert them from regular boyz. Since I myself use a nob squad and larger units of boyz I've also got a nice collection of nobz from ork boyz box sets which will save me a good $45 from GW.
    "Orks have to be followers of Nurgle! They're green, smell bad, and just want to spread the fun!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x1)

This has been great advice people! I definately appreciate it. I am going to look into getting some Ork boyz ordered tonight.

Normally I would just run up to the store and pick some up.. but i live in Iowa.. and my shop was destroyed by the major flooding we had recently.

How many Ork Boyz/parts/bitz come in one pack?
    Eldar Project Log

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In a regular box of boyz, you get enough parts for 10 boyz that can have either sluggas and choppas or shootas. You also get enough parts for 1 nob and enough upgrades for a boy with a rokkit and one with a big shoota.
    I'm trying to catalog every song with a reference to yetis or Sasquatch. Please help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by crazyrpger View Post
    In a regular box of boyz, you get enough parts for 10 boyz that can have either sluggas and choppas or shootas. You also get enough parts for 1 nob and enough upgrades for a boy with a rokkit and one with a big shoota.
    So it seems like Im going to need 3-4 boxes then..
    Eldar Project Log

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

3-4 boxes will run you $60-80. Like I say, I think Da Green Tide box is a steal. Usually, each boy is about $2. In that set, you get each for about $1.5. Plus you get 100 boyz (10 sets) and a Warboss! However, if you're only playing 400 points, it's really overkill. There are loads of ways to get more boyz on the cheap or to convert 'em so you don't have to buy as many. I'm sure many of the experienced ork players here can give you some hints as to how to stretch your bucks to equal as many boyz as possible.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x1)

I would also recommend buying the box set if you are serious about starting an ork army. Boyz are the backbone of ANY ork force, and you will see they will be put to use. Nobz with powerclaws are also a good buy since they are the best ork anti-tank, and you can have them in almost any squad or in a squad by themselves.
    What is dis signature nonsence?! dem stupid human zoggers are always trien to confuze us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does 'Da Green tide' comes with bitz for making rokkit launchas and nobz like the regular box sets do or not? After looking at the price differences I started realizing I could really use 100 boyz at a cheaper rate... as if that were different from before.
    "Orks have to be followers of Nurgle! They're green, smell bad, and just want to spread the fun!"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast