Making an Army - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Making an Army

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Making an Army

Howdy!

I'm starting a Tau Army, mostly for something to paint up. I've ordered Shadowsun, 3 firewarrior boxes, and an XV-25 box. Anyone have any ideas of what to add?

I'm trying to avoid vehicles, because transporting them isn't viable right now. I'm probably going to about 1500 points and I'm liking the 25's so I'll probably add quite a few more of those.

--Jim

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    137 (x3)

I agree the XV25 stealth suits are awesome, but I question whether or not multiple units is worth it unless you are using one (or both) as a stealth marker team (3 XV15's, 1 XV15 leader with marker light and 2 marker drones, or something similar). The stealth marker team isn't great in 4th edition, but I think it will rock hard in 5th because jetpack units are getting relentless, meaning they can move and fire the markerlights freely.

In an army without Devilfish I think Kroot become critically important for keeping fast assaulting units at bay longer (and causing havoc and massive damage because Kroot Hounds are awesome), so I think you could use a box or three of those and some hounds. I like a unit of 10 Kroot and 6 - 8 Kroot hounds. Point for point I think the hounds are among the best CC models in the game. Infiltrate them behind cover (preferably forests) and watch your opponent either go way around them (wasting much time in the process) or come close enough for them to assault, and then watch the carnage that ensues. Then you can tear anything that's left apart with rapid firing pulse rifles and burst cannons.

Also, one or two units of 2 crisis suits wouldn't hurt. I like one unit with plasma and either fusion or missile pods (for busting up power armor and MC's) and one unit with twin-linked missile pods (for taking out transports and light to medium troops and MC's at long range), but that is simply my preference. I would magnetize the suit's weaponry and subsystems so you aren't locked into a single configuration.

And if you aren't using Hammerheads, I feel you NEED XV88 broadside battlesuits. Though I personally don't use them, if you don't have railguns you won't have any great way of taking out heavy vehicles without getting up close. It's always good to have a backup plan and Shadowsun by herself probably won't be able to take out enough vehicles against a list with even a moderate amount of them.

Last edited by ZenGamer; July 1st, 2008 at 16:22.
    -Thread Killer Bryan
    Tyranid Hive Fleet Typhoeus
    T'au Empire, Bork'an Sept

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you already have 36 fire warriors, Stealth suits really won't add much to your army, they do the same thing in a different way. Its all just massed S5 shots when it comes down to it, but Firewarriors are scoring units, stealths aren't.

Get or convert 2 broadsides to make a solid anti-tank team, and then pick up some XV8s to provide you with some mid-strength shooting, then get a box of kroot, which are amazing in 5th.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    397 (x6)

Some crisis suits should be the next place you go. The models are phenomenal (probably my favorite in 40k) and they are very effective in the game.
    General Project Log Things I Paint
    Seeing Red A Khador Log
    Stuck Between Stations My Blog

Striving for the right Ravenscraig's Avatar
    In exile on Earth - currently in Glasgow, Scotland
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

144 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by xbanditsx View Post
    Some crisis suits should be the next place you go. The models are phenomenal (probably my favorite in 40k) and they are very effective in the game.
    I'll second this. You really do need some XV8s to give you good anti-MEQ/anti-tank/anti-light vehicle. Point for point they've got to amongst the most efficient (and effective) troop types in 40K.

I advise you to read and digest Rikimaru's excellent guide to XV8s up in the stickied threads section - and that will help you really get to know your onions!

~ Raven ~

"The choice between good and evil, is made by all who live, with every single heartbeat ... ... ..."

Quote Originally Posted by ZenGamer View Post
    Simple wording. On a forum, any forum, wording is all one has to go by to determine tone and intent.

The ORIGINAL Sniper Puss eiglepulper's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    596 (x8)

The other thing to bear in mind is that we are getting a complete revamp of the 40k rules in just over a week which will put a very different complexion on the game. It may be more sensible to await the arrival of the new rules before going headlong into choosing what you want for your army.

E.
    "Tau Commandment #226: Participants who use Velocity Trackers in the Tau Clay Pigeon Tournament will be disqualified"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for some of the opinions and advice. I've decided to add a full squad of Broadsides and some Crisis Suits.

One thing though, I don't want any aliens in the army (um... other than the Tau), so no Kroot. But I will add Vespid, just not the models. I plan on making some Jump Tau by converting some FW's. ... XV-42 Jump suits

Though I do have a question. How useful do ya think Sniper teams are going to be in 5th?

--Jim

Striving for the right Ravenscraig's Avatar
    In exile on Earth - currently in Glasgow, Scotland
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

144 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune75 View Post
    One thing though, I don't want any aliens in the army (um... other than the Tau), so no Kroot. But I will add Vespid, just not the models.
    Hang on. No aliens, but you're taking Vespid?? They're the absolutely last thing I'd take!

And it doesn't really work if you intend to use Tau models instead in a sort of "counts as", because Tau don't have that particular weaponry. So if you do want to take troops that act with Vespid-like capabilities (the need for which is entirely lost on me, but then I suppose I do have a reputation as a Vespid non-lover) then you're stuck with taking Vespid which, to me, are even more "alien" than the Kroot. All-in-all I rather think you're trying to have your cake and eat it.

Why not just get some Kroot??

As for the Sniper Teams. They've always seemed to be pretty average to me - neither that bad nor that good. The trouble is that the other Heavy Support choices - Hammerheads, Skyrays and Broadsides - are just so much more attractive in terms of "bangs for the buck". In a straight poll Sniper Teams come bottom out of the 4 available choices, and that isn't likely to change. In fact, they're likely to be pushed even further down the list by Skyrays becoming more attractive than under 4th.
    Last edited by Ravenscraig; July 4th, 2008 at 13:21.

"The choice between good and evil, is made by all who live, with every single heartbeat ... ... ..."

Quote Originally Posted by ZenGamer View Post
    Simple wording. On a forum, any forum, wording is all one has to go by to determine tone and intent.

+ Reply to Thread