Best Heavy Choice for Eldar in 5th? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

View Poll Results: What is the best heavy choice for Eldar in 5th?

Voters
85. You may not vote on this poll
  • War Walkers

11 12.94%
  • Wraithlords

35 41.18%
  • Dark Reapers

10 11.76%
  • Falcons

9 10.59%
  • Fire Prisms

19 22.35%
  • Put an end date on your poll damn it!!

1 1.18%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best Heavy Choice for Eldar in 5th?

Are falcons still the kings of the hill? Have fire prisms taken their spot on top? Are reapers or war walkers the new sleeper hits of 5th edition? You tell me and, if you have time, explain you answer below. Thanks everyone.

Last edited by WraithBone; July 8th, 2008 at 17:11.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vibrocannons.......
    No line of sight cover saves.. (doesnt use line of sight)
    What once was courage has now cursed in the wars we've made.
    We are the sinners, before our graves.
    (Coheed)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reapers.

I've been playing some 5th ed test games recently and was looking for something to fill my Falcons firepower based shoes and these boys are it.

Excellent power armour busting capabilities with an Exarch who is able to able to blow through anything short of terminator armour at huge range while completely ignoring cover.

They may be less mobile than the Falcon but the firepower buff has seen me definatly moved to the Reaper camp

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    56 (x2)

I'm thinking that Fire Prisms will be a lot more effective now that direct fire blast/ordinance weapons can't "miss". Sure you'll be scattering, but that is almost always better than not getting to place the template at all. Plus, Fire Prisms have good BS, meaning less scatter, and they are still an Eldar tank made more survivable by 5th edition rules.
    I think you need to spend more time on your floor.

2500 Black Templars
    7-3-3

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How exactly are our tanks more survivable? I'm not 100% sure, but I think you have to be moving "flat-out" in order to get the 4+ cover save, which means you're not shooting or disembarking (falcon). Survivable, but not killing anything? No thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

56 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by adam_gipson View Post
    How exactly are our tanks more survivable? I'm not 100% sure, but I think you have to be moving "flat-out" in order to get the 4+ cover save, which means you're not shooting or disembarking (falcon). Survivable, but not killing anything? No thanks.
    From the rumors I've been reading, you are correct that you have to be moving 24" to get the cover save. However I was talking more about how vehicles can't get glanced to death without multiple hits.

Plus if worse comes to worst, you could always ram something with it.
    Last edited by SimulatedSnowman; July 2nd, 2008 at 15:57.

2500 Black Templars
    7-3-3

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SimulatedSnowman View Post
    From the rumors I've been reading, you are correct that you have to be moving 24" to get the cover save. However I was talking more about how vehicles can't get glanced to death without multiple hits.

Plus if worse comes to worst, you could always ram something with it.

Actually, the "flat out" movement is anything above 12" and that's where you get the "obscured" 4+ cover save. The changes to the glancing chart do help, but glancing won't be as much of an issue since there are not more auto-glances.

Really, Eldar tanks got nerfed a bit, I think. I'm not sure they didn't need it, but I don't have to be happy about it.

Oh yeah, I forgot to say- RAMMING WILL BE AWESOME! I'm still considering the viability of a Vyper Kamikaze... I just wish we could get the extra movement from the Star Engines included...
    Last edited by banik; July 2nd, 2008 at 18:12. Reason: Awesomeness of Ramming

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by banik View Post
    Actually, the "flat out" movement is anything above 12" and that's where you get the "obscured" 4+ cover save. The changes to the glancing chart do help, but glancing won't be as much of an issue since there are not more auto-glances.

Really, Eldar tanks got nerfed a bit, I think. I'm not sure they didn't need it, but I don't have to be happy about it.

Oh yeah, I forgot to say- RAMMING WILL BE AWESOME! I'm still considering the viability of a Vyper Kamikaze... I just wish we could get the extra movement from the Star Engines included...
    Actually anything moving between 0-6" is moving at combat speed and movement of 6"-12" is cruising speed. Fast vehicles have an additional speed of "flat out" which is anything above 12". For Eldar skimmers this is up to 24".

Obscurement 4+ cover save is granted when a vehicle has moved at "flat out" speed in it's previous movement. Skimmers that are immobilised while moving "flat out" are destroyed. Otherwise the vehicle is just counted as immobilised, just as any other vehicle.

Therefore, I think all the fears about Skimmers being nerfed are unwarranted. Falcons still only get destroyed by penetrating hits on rolls of 5 or 6. Granted the Falcon has less firepower output because of the lowered Str of defensive weapons.

A note about Ramming: The Str equation is armor above 10 + 1 for every 3" of movement before impact + 1 for being a tank. Therefore it stands to reason that a Grav-tank moving at "flat out" speed with Star Engines will hit a target with a Str 15 hit! This also means that neither the Grav-tank nor it's target would survive the impact.

This is based on what I've seen of the rules. The official rules to be released may prove me totally wrong.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    120 (x4)

Fire prisms because of that blast things and war walkers because they can do that scout flank thing right?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

56 (x2)

A note about Ramming: The Str equation is armor above 10 + 1 for every 3" of movement before impact + 1 for being a tank. Therefore it stands to reason that a Grav-tank moving at "flat out" speed with Star Engines will hit a target with a Str 15 hit! This also means that neither the Grav-tank nor it's target would survive the impact.
    Well no, because you can't inflict anything higher than a strength 10 hit, and I'm pretty sure the star engines move takes place in the shooting phase, so that wouldn't work.

2500 Black Templars
    7-3-3

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast