A how to...(win with Tau at Low points) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A how to...(win with Tau at Low points)

Hi, I have been have a lot of trouble with 1000pt games with my Tau. I understand this may be difficult to get started in this moment of rule purgatory, but none the less I am looking for help. If some of the more experienced players, or anyone with a good pointer has some basic tips or advice to give it is much appreciated.

These are just some things I had on my mind, but I am hoping the advice can go beyond these.
    • Are Kroot a must for low point games?
    • How do you deal with AV13-14 vehicles or T8 monstrous creatures?
    • are their units you shouldn't use in such low point games (Hammerheads?)
    • What Place do Devilfish have in 5e, 1000pt games?
    • Are Strong Single suit teams a good choice or more cheaper suits?
    Thanks again.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, I play low point games a lot more than I play high point games, and i find they actually take a bit more strategy because of the point costs you have to work with
    I will now answer your questions in order based upon the experience i have had in games around the 1000 mark

First, Kroot are really really helpful to me in low point games, I didn’t use them for quite some time, but there really worth there value IMHO, infiltrating, harassing, making the enemy focusing on them whilst maneuvering everything else into prime position to blast them, oh yeah, I love them. When playing these games i just use a small unit of 10, and drop them into cover near my firewarriors to provide a good firing base for my army
    Second, In these lower point games, my hammerhead generally has the highest AV on the table, however I would deal with it by simply focusing my hammerhead at the armor as much as possible, Also my deathrains help, even if its a simple crew shaken result, it still at the very least buys my army time to regroup in a better position. every shot counts. For T8 I just shot at them with the good ol rail gun, they generally go down pretty fast.
    Third, Units you shouldn’t use... I cant really think of anything, just use whats effective, obviously a full fleet of three hammerheads, or even 4 broadsides will be a bit of overkill, unless your playing something like speedfreaks and you really really don’t want them to get to you, but in general, just use whatever you believe is necessary to your playstyle, then build off of that.
    Fourth, In 5th ed. matches, I use one devilfish that I get courtesy of my fabulous pathfinders, and after the first turn or so, I just use it with my firewarriors as a transport when I feel the enemy is getting a little too close to home base, or if im feeling lucky, or find the enemy is weak, I will use it to attempt to get behind my enemy to get some crossfire going, divide and conquer baby!
    Finally, I prefer cheaper suits, but that’s just me. for thousand point games I use my fireknife commander, two monat Deathrains, and a team of stealthsuits if I feel I need them. I think this is good because then I have a good amount of armor killing, but its also flexible once all the armor goes down I use my deathrains for those nuts that are a little harder to crack, mainly HQ's, any assault units that are left, heavy squads, blah blah blah so yeah that’s basically what I do, however I’m not by any means a master player, so I apologize in advance if any of my strategies fail you, because they do even fail me sometimes, but that’s just how the game goes I guess!
    anyway, hope that helps a bit! And good luck in the future!
    Last edited by iskate; July 7th, 2008 at 06:39.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi, I am going to link this to the list I plan on using in an upcoming 1000pt tournament.

iskate, I have a pathfinder question and anyone can help me with this..

In my list, my 2nd Stealth team is meant, basically for markerlight coverage and I was wondering if you think that an 8 man Pathfinder team w/Devilfish would be better suited for this role at about the same cost (also a devilfish would be nice to have).

::My List::

http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...ml#post1199011

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah i have thought about this myself, other people say that the pathfinders are they way to go, i haven't tried markerlights with my stealths yet simply because it gets very expensive very fast, I really enjoy my pathfinders, especially with the new dedicated transport rules it helps a ton. In my opinion pathfinders are a lot more cost effective, although the ability to JSJ w/ markers is very appealing too me, unfortunately i have no experience w/ Stealth markerlighting so i cant help you too much, however i would advise you try and play down the markerlighted stealth squad as much as possible, so that your opponent doesn't concentrate his attention on them too much, for instance, dont infiltrate them 18" of your enemy, i think they would get shot at way too fast, but i dont know, i can see the benefits of it, but it is really really expensive... My best advice after all this, try it out before you go to the tournament and see how you like it, then try another game and see how the pathfinders work!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    82 (x1)

• Are Kroot a must for low point games?
    I would never say a must have but they are a great unit for low cost especially if you're short points and don't have your 2+ troops, however in the upcoming 5ed I think they will prove invaluable.
    • How do you deal with AV13-14 vehicles or T8 monstrous creatures?
    10 - 1 guns. . . .
    • are their units you shouldn't use in such low point games (Hammerheads?)
    Hammerheads are bad mmmkay. . . broadsides are far better in my opinion especially at low point costs, you lose some of it's blast weapon but theres far better things to deal with hordes anyway.
    • What Place do Devilfish have in 5e, 1000pt games?
    Depends on your individual play style
    • Are Strong Single suit teams a good choice or more cheaper suits?
    Single suits will still prove the favourite I predict, between deathrains and fireknives

Also, pathfinders are awsome

Striving for the right Ravenscraig's Avatar
    In exile on Earth - currently in Glasgow, Scotland
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    144 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by Enjoi_Tyranids View Post
    Hi, I have been have a lot of trouble with 1000pt games with my Tau.
    Brother E-T, it would make life a whole lot easier for all of us if you could give us some idea of just what you've been using and what sort of trouble you've been having. It's rather hard trying to identify solutions when one has no visibility of the problem!

So fire away, mon brave - you know we'll get this cracked together.

~ Raven ~

"The choice between good and evil, is made by all who live, with every single heartbeat ... ... ..."

Quote Originally Posted by ZenGamer View Post
    Simple wording. On a forum, any forum, wording is all one has to go by to determine tone and intent.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    724 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by ~ Ravenscraig ~ View Post
    Brother E-T, it would make life a whole lot easier for all of us if you could give us some idea of just what you've been using and what sort of trouble you've been having. It's rather hard trying to identify solutions when one has no visibility of the problem!

So fire away, mon brave - you know we'll get this cracked together.

~ Raven ~
    Also just what sort of armies you have been facing and which in particular have been giving you the most trouble.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi, while I am not positive what I will see, I can say that I have had the most trouble with the armies that have the majority of their list deepstrike or infiltrate, such as, Drop Pod marines, or Chaos Daemons. I have also had trouble dishing out enough firepower to handle MC's and Vehicles.

The deepstriking armies give me a lot of trouble because they are just there too fast and I don't know what to do in response.

In the past I had been very firewarrior heavy usually 24-36 firewarriors in low point games with 2x Warfish (TA, SMS, Decoys, Multi-T), 1x Hammerhead (TA, Burst, Decoys, Multi-T), and then a Shas'el Commander Fireknife and a group of Deathrains.

The Link above is to the army I plan on using, short list here is what I had used in the past.
    Last edited by Enjoi_Tyranids; July 12th, 2008 at 04:26.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Firstly,

Whereabouts in Indiana do you live (if you mind me asking)?

Secondly,

On to your units. What I generally do against deepstrikers is to simply move away from them when they deepstrike. The two warfish, hammerhead, and crisis have plenty of mobility to stay away from deepstriking opponents. It is then a matter of not letting them assault you. Between the two Warfish, there should be enough obstruction to where a good FoF can take out any low to mid toughness units. The pure number of S 5 shots coming from your deployed FW's can be expected to get a wound or two on higher Toughness MC's. The most important thing is to avoid being assaulted by packing up your FW's and flying away before your opponent gets too close.

As a general rule, I would advise you to target the fastest moving units first. Deepstrike or not, if you can run circles around your opponent, not only can you choose when to fight, but you can be reasonably assured that you will be able to out-capture your opponent (especially in 5th).

As for heavier armor, you'll have to use your hammerhead. Your crisis suits may come in handy here, but I prefer to use them against MCs.
    Yes, see that guy over there? No, that's not him. He's 30 inches away. Yep, that's a Firewarrior all right. Now we just need to get closer...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I live in the southbend area

I think it should be a lot harder for infiltrators to get the 12" deployment because of the new TLOS rules and that might make it easier to counter CC infiltrators imo.

The list I will actually be using will be more static then ones I have used in the past, but it will also have more suits. Kind of a three-pronged attack...

(Kroot w/Stealths .... Crisis Suits .... Firewarriors w/Broadsides and Pathfinders).

thanks for the comments thus far. I have thought about it and just think I need to get more games in before I think about it too much.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast