How do you use the Talos? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    38 (x1)

How do you use the Talos?

So I got my first chance to actually try out a talos in some Vassal 40k games and I was impressed to say the least, the highlight was when it managed to kill 7 shrike's wing marines (that's 357 points for those of you playing along at home) in a single round of assault. It's a mean mother and helps to fill a similar sort of role to incubi, if you can get it in against someone without power weapons, and especially without power fists, it can make a mess of them, but it's speed was a problem, in that raven guard game he only managed to save my lord, the rest of his retinue was slaughtered already. And in another game against eldar, lets just say even his cover saves weren't enough to stop the dark reaper onslaught, he didn't even get into melee.

So now I've decided that the Talos is a great unit that I didn't give credit too but I'm not sure how I want to use it, I can try and play up just how tough it is to draw fire onto it, but that's not guaranteed to work and there are units out there which people take for marine killing that will also cause pain for a talos. On the other hand I can try and keep quiet about it and let them be threatened by the fast moving raiders using the talos as a second line assault, but I can't help but feel that the split deployment which is popular against fast close combat armies will leave them being pretty useless.

The other option I'm considering is 2 or 3 of them with a webway portal taken just for them. I figure zooming forward my raiders and being able to have a shooty warrior unit jump out and slap down the portal on turn 2 or 3 will mean the taloi don't have far to go to get in an assault, and if they try split deployment I can hopefully rush my army at one half, tie up any counter assault units with wyches, throw down the talos hole, and then be zipping towards the second half before he expects.

So, what's your opinion on these ideas and how do you use your Talos? I'd love to get an idea for what works best and what doesn't work at all.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    434 (x8)

So you rolled a D6 and got a result of 6, add +1 for charging and so took out 7 marines with it’s strength 7 attacks? (At 357 points, are you sure the Marines are that expensive?)

Wow, that was good rolling. Did the Wildfire shooting help out there or did you just not bother with it?

The Talos is definitely best used from the portal and I love the term Kwi uses, a ‘Trapdoor Spider.’
    Problem is that it can be unpredictable due to its dice roll based number of attacks and the Wildfire shooting can prematurely eliminate what you want to assault thus giving you cause not to use the shooting phase sometimes.

Talos are best in the thick of things, surrounded by at least 2 enemy squads, it’s here that the Wildfire and high strength can be used to best effect.

Do not use then against Dreadnoughts or enemy armour however, they just don’t seem to last long enough!

Cheers.
    In a controversy the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    38 (x1)

Yes, shrikes wing are assault marines with 2 attacks on their profile, double lighting claws, infiltrate, scout, and stealth. that talos took 2 wounds in the same round of combat (striking simultaneously with the wing) but even with the massive volume of attacks they threw back they needed 4s to hit and 6s to wound(rerolled due to lightning claws), and some of them were busy trying to attack my lord on jetbike so the talos walked out of there with 1 wound left. I did use the wild fire but that didn't matter because Shrike and his boys were already in melee with my lord, so the shots went onto nearby tac marines although I did experience those situations where you are sitting there going "will I be able to charge if he pulls that front model"

I understand how much luck was in it, rolling up 6 attacks, hitting with all 7 of them, and then wounding with all of them again. but I also rolled up 1s and 2s when the talos plowed ahead into some tactical marines, I see how it is a bit fickle, but it seems tough enough to make up for it.

I wouldn't dream of using one on a dreadnought, what with their St 10 armour ignoring attacks, but is the way the claws work against vehicles really so bad, seems like on average you will be rolling to penetrate with effectively St 10 or 11 attacks, and if you got lucky you could be St 13, needing a 1 to glance a land raider seems like nothing to sneeze at.

What about with the webway portals? I know the standard advice is 2 webway portals for safety reasons in a true WWP army, but in this case do you think you could sneak through with just the one?
    Last edited by drunkspleen; July 7th, 2008 at 06:32.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x2)

I find that Taloi are one of the funniest units that I have in my Dark Eldar, I have 3 of them but I don't even use them anymore... I am the sort of person when I roll for attacks will roll 1s and 2s constantly! I hate it! Lol as a result they don't find themselves on the battlefield much.

That being said when you get a decent roll for attacks they are great combined with their high strength and toughness. I occasionally let my mate use my Dark Eldar to give him a change of armies and he loves Taloi but he always rolls 5s and 6s for attacks and hasn't been frustrated by low rolls.

I have also found that the wildfire rule is a pain... there have been a fair few occassions that this rule has hurt me and killed that one guy in a unit that I am close enough to charge!

I find though that they are really slow and generally be best used coming out of a webway. In saying that though I find that they can be quite handy to use to protect my warriors and use them to distract the enemy and charge units that threaten my warrior squads... there is nothing better then charging a unit of Howling Banshees with one and the Exarch forgot to being her executioner! Just ask some of my friend about that.

Drunkspleen... It seem to me that you were very luck with that Talos taking down 7 of Shrikes Wing... those babies are armed with a pair of lightning claws each which means strength 4 power weapons with re rolls to wound! and they strike simultaneous! Now looking at it the fact that they were also in combat with a jetbike lord would make a difference.

With the new rules webways could potentially be a biut harder to get across the table... I think that as a rule of thumb you take one for every 1000pts is a good idea, as you know prefereably you will want two in case one of the carriers dies... If you want something like that I would suggest taking a Haemy with some Grots on a Raider to give you some more safety and you should have it ready to be deployed by the second turn.

On top of that its all nice and fluffy a Heamy openning a webway protected by his own creations the Grots to release a machine of torture the Talos BWAHAHAHA!!!
    There is nothing more annoying when your Wyches with Plasma Grenades get "Always strikes First" for their combat drugs!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    434 (x8)

Against vehicle armour you get 1 attack but for each successive hit you just add those to the AP roll and I don’t like your odds here – Enemy armour is what Dark Lances are for, and it’s not an efficient use of the Talos here.

I always take 2 portals or none; the portal game is enough of a gamble without putting all your eggs in one basket by just taking one. You can sneak through with one portal but every time it fails you lose ALL those reserves.

Cheers.
    In a controversy the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    38 (x1)

hmmm, Haemy and Grots seems like an interesting idea since I was also looking for LD modifiers to give to wyches to help them break enemies they beat in close combat, and grots are the ultimate leadership modifier in that sense.

I'm a bit iffy on 2 portals because, well for one I hate the idea of possibly spending 50 points for no real reason, and the other thing is I mostly play 1500 points and at that level 100 points to get 2-3 taloi on the board seems like an awful lot. then again if you told me I could mount them in raiders I probably wouldn't hesitate to pay the 165 points for them all to be flying.

I guess I will have to review my current army list for 1500 and see how I could make it work without taking too many raiders off the board.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    204 (x6)

Fifth edition Taloi should be able to run, so they'll no longer get left behind by any foot-slogging Warriors they might be trying to support. So, for 100 pts you can add the equivalent of 3 Incubi & 6 SC shots to your main unit. That is, unless everything is on Raiders.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    120 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by Krovin-Rezh View Post
    Fifth edition Taloi should be able to run, so they'll no longer get left behind by any foot-slogging Warriors they might be trying to support. So, for 100 pts you can add the equivalent of 3 Incubi & 6 SC shots to your main unit. That is, unless everything is on Raiders.
    Can run seriously? I can't find where it says what can run and what can't

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    204 (x6)

I don't see why not. The rule doesn't discriminate between different types of units (in the unfinished version of the rulebook). So everything should get D6" movement in the Shooting Phase if they don't mind not shooting or assaulting that turn.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I only use my talos as a distraction, for some reason the people i play against fear him and shoot all they can at it till it drops, which allows me to move my troops and wyches around without taking fire, so i mainly field him as a disraction

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast