Coven list: wych conversions - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    boo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

Coven list: wych conversions

so i'm working on a coven list, but i still want to be able to win

i've got the 3 talos/some warriors, 4 hemes, 2 grotes squads
    but i'm still lacking the power that wychs give (obvioulsy)

so thinking about sticking a squad in, but not as wyches

any ideas? a hemes perfect creation with unmathced speed?
    how would i convert it?

some random warp entirys bound by the hemes?
    again, how would i make it look 'fast' etc

just tossing out ideas, i leave it to you

basicly, looking for somthing fluffy, and fast, which would prefrably be
    sane/controlled enough to ride in a raider, though i suppose i could convert
    a heme to look like he has 'some' martial skill

Grots/SoB/CSP/AWN/DE

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Striving for the right Ravenscraig's Avatar
    In exile on Earth - currently in Glasgow, Scotland
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    144 (x3)

Boo, I'm really not sure I follow what you're after here. You're calling it a Coven Army but without Wyches? And the title of your Thread is Wych Conversions? I'm afraid both your title and post are rather confusing (at least to me, at any rate). Would you care to be a bit more specific about what you're after, eg. is it troops, elites, fast attack, etc?

~ (Temporarily bemused) Raven ~

"The choice between good and evil, is made by all who live, with every single heartbeat ... ... ..."

Quote Originally Posted by ZenGamer View Post
    Simple wording. On a forum, any forum, wording is all one has to go by to determine tone and intent.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    38 (x1)

I think, he wants a coven army, so for fluff reasons doesn't want to use actual wyches, but wants to use the wych unit selection with some sort of conversion that fits the idea of the coven more.

So basically how to represent the wych profile in a way suited for a coven army.

boo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by drunkspleen View Post
    I think, he wants a coven army, so for fluff reasons doesn't want to use actual wyches, but wants to use the wych unit selection with some sort of conversion that fits the idea of the coven more.

So basically how to represent the wych profile in a way suited for a coven army.
    aye, Spleen worded it better, sorry if it was confusing

Quote Originally Posted by ~ Ravenscraig ~ View Post
    Boo, I'm really not sure I follow what you're after here. You're calling it a Coven Army but without Wyches?
    and i think, that you think, i mean a wych cult,
    when i mean a hemonculus coven, which is the 3rd of the 3 (kabal, cult, coven)
    and the lesser used, as it uses a few 'weak' units (talos & grotes)
    Last edited by boo; July 7th, 2008 at 17:00. Reason: screwed up quote tags

Grots/SoB/CSP/AWN/DE

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    225 (x6)

In other words using a "proxy" - using a model that is coven like (and fits your theme) while using the wych stats (which you would have to be sure your opponent needs to understand what you are doing). Otherwise if your opponent may be just as confused as Ravenscraig and get the crazy eyes look.

I would consider going the Mandrake route. Mandrakes are "feral" Dark Eldar warriors that were exposed to the warp too long (in my opinion). Beast like as they are, I would say this would make a perfect specimen for experimentation by the Haemoculi - after all, the Decapitator is believed to be a Haemoculus creation. Who is to say that all experiments end up like grotesques? Perhaps the Haemoculi could create their own wych counter part using mandrakes (or wyches that have been exposed to the warp to long - feral wyches!).

So how would I represent that? I start by making a warrior with a pistol and ccw from the warrior sprue, all plastic. For the heads I would either use the bald heads (with the top-knot cut off) or use the raider gunner heads or the reaver jetbike heads instead (I used the bald heads, it was easier).

Cut them into different poses, make them running and pointing guns and stuff and I would think to add other stuff that would separate them from the regular warriors. One idea would be to glue a box or back pack on their backs and have wires come out of the box or pack into their heads, or arms, or legs to represent a combat drug pump. I would also consider adding spears, or swords or knives (custom knives that you make yourself but don't look normal) that represent wych weapons. I have fantasy Dark Elf swords and spears so I would probably use those.

If you want to forget all that, save some time by spending some money then consider using fantasy Dark Elf Shades. They already have one sword in hand and the other is a repeater cross bow, just convert that into a splinter pistol anyway you like. I would say some people use the Shades as Mandrakes but since you don't wyches then these guys look like they might pass as CCW experts instead.

Just some ideas.
    "On a hunch, I melted them down and inhaled the fumes and read the dark eldar codex again, AND FOUND A BUNCH OF NEW RULES HIDDEN BEHIND THE OTHER WORDS..." [Gardeth on modelling & interpreting the DE Codex]

boo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

ah, kwikwag, i'm liking your suggestions, so i'll give it a go once i finish
    making my ork kannons, and see what happens

Grots/SoB/CSP/AWN/DE

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I won a trade and scored 7 mandrakes, 2 hellions and a beastmaster a while back. The beastmaster is my new dracite and the other models are my new wyches. All my wyches have grey skin tone with yellowed combat drug eyes. Look mean as, aye? Leftover warrior plumes are the new topknots for my mandrake/wych squad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x2)

One thing that might be worth trying as proxys to wyches in a Coven list could be something done with the new Daemonette models... and you can get them in a box of 10 nice and cheap and with a little green stuff and some wire you could make them look more grim and coven like but still nimble looking...
    There is nothing more annoying when your Wyches with Plasma Grenades get "Always strikes First" for their combat drugs!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x2)

The WHFB models might proxy well for fast looking grotesques:
    Dark Elf: Harpies without the wings
    Dark Elf: Mengil Manhide's Manflayers
    Beasts of Chaos: Pestigors
    Daemons: Daemonettes of Slaanesh
    Vampire Counts: Crypt Ghouls
    War Record Since Sept 2005
    Old Codex 48-20-9 Dark Eldar
    New Codex 1-0-0 Dark Eldar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    38 (x1)

wow I really like the Manflayers, know anywhere where I could find out exactly what parts they come as for conversion purposes?

Edit: My newfound love for the Talos has me a bit more interested in the coven army but I'm not entirely sure, if someone could reccomend reading material I would appreciate that
    Last edited by drunkspleen; July 11th, 2008 at 05:26.

+ Reply to Thread